Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy 2

Posted April 17, 2014
It is a challenging and unpleasant workplace. Most students had home issues; calling social services was common. One on campus social worker could not support all the students in need. The unenclosed classrooms created constant chaos; disruptive hallway conflicts, classroom noises, and thrown objects over the walls were constant. A security guard assisted with extreme student behaviors. Teachers were expected to have students remain seated and quiet at all times, whereas good teaching encourages student talk and allows for student movement. Students had to walk on the right side of a line drawn down the hallway with hands behind their backs in total silence. At lunch, students were not allowed to talk or they were removed from the lunchroom. I felt that we were either preparing students for the military or prison. I am dedicated to working at low-income schools, but could only survive teaching here for one year. Half the teaching staff left when I did; there was simply not enough support considering the challenges and the philosophical differences were too great. I felt that I could not stay given the circumstances nor could I change the way things were, so I had to leave.

Posted May 24, 2012
I have been tutoring at Charles Drew Preparatory for the past 5 years, and watched this school continue to grow and work hard at improving it's programs. The teachers, Ms. Scott and Ms. Rice-Mitchell keep the kids in line with an iron hand in a velvet glove. Sure, it's difficult to watch over the large number of children, but they do it well, and you can tell that they know and care about their students.

Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy 1

Posted December 14, 2011
I'm sick of this school they have no control over the kids the boys be hitting on my daughter all the time, i had problems with the school bus not wanting to pick up my daughter at the assign bus stop I'm looking into tranfering my daughter to another school

Posted October 04, 2011
All four of my children have gone to this school; I have one remaining and I can say the teachers and principal are awesome. I know the scores could have been better last year but we as parents need to do our job as well. We cannot just rely soley on the teachers. We need to do our part when our children come home, we need to support them and make sure our children are doing their homework. We need to be in communication with their teacher and be open to any constructive criticism this will only help our children achieve academic sucess! We all need to work together as one unit and if we all wll do this our children will soar...this will be a win win situation!! ** Mrs. Dahnken is the greatest teacher. I speak about her highly and I am glad that my last child is being taught by her. Mrs. Rice Mitchell is a good leader and takes her job seriously..this is the reason my child continues to go here. Keep up the great work!! Lets bring those test scores up and show the teachers and principal WE WILL DO OUR PART!!

Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy 5

Posted September 28, 2010
From the teaching perspective, it is a great environment. You are reminded often of the hard work you are doing. From the learning perspective, I see students learning and engaged throughout the building. Little is needed to say when the API is 710. There is so much support for your child at this school, that there is no way your child can fall behind unless you keep your child home. If I had a child, my child would attend this school. That I know of, two teachers have family members attending this school. Amazing school.

Posted August 16, 2007
I believe that Charles Drew has come a very long way from the way it was before it became a Dream school. The teachers are young, very vibrant, and great at what they do. I wish more parents would participate. Although the school might be seen from a different point of view from those who are not from the Bayview, considering that it is the Bayview, the curriculum is outstanding. The things my daughter has learned in the past two years she has been there, has just amazed me! She began attending Drew as a Pre-K student and will be starting the new year as a first grader. It amazes me to see that my daughter, a 5 year old Kindergardener has learned lessons far beyond her years in a school that is deemed economically disadvantaged. BRAVO TO THE TEACHERS,STAFF,AND PRINICPAL OF DREW! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Posted January 02, 2007
This schools academic plan and curriculum is outstanding.The children need more structure and more specific programs to deal with there needs. Also the staff needs to be taught how to deal with difficult children with behavior problems, something besides special education, because some kids don't have those type of symptoms.

Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy 3

Posted December 22, 2006
This school has come a long way in the past 3 years! Ever since we became a Dream School the test scores have risen and risen. The teachers hold high expectations for our kids, and our children are succeeding!

Posted September 01, 2006
- a staff
I'm very optimistic about the school this year. It's much calmer and quieter and it has a really good feel. We have a wonderful music teacher and an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. Our principal is fantastic--she provides strong leadership but is calm and gentle with the students. She always listens to staff. Come check us out! A very happy staff member

Posted May 30, 2006

Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy
50 Pomona Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94124
Last modified Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Drew (Charles) College Preparatory Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews.