Posted April 02, 2014
My son is a 2nd grader at Flynn and is doing very well. His teacher is amazing. He has grown so much academically this past year and couldn't be more happier. The staff is very nice and helpful. He has done so much better since I moved him from his previous school to Flynn.

Posted February 01, 2014
Parent (4) at flynn since K. Teachers uncommonly terrific. nine = certificated master teachers - more than any other SFUSD school. teacher won national award for Teaching Tolerance pgm. sense of community that families value and enjoy -- despite language barriers, always a welcoming nod/smile when you see another new-to-you parent. afterschool program reenvisioned into one shared program for free/subsidized and paying families, eliminating the weird split in past. 'why can't i play with my friends after school?' was common question when no unified program. PTA raises about $100K a year, covers cost of Playworks coach, computers and tech, arts and garden programs, Mission Science Workshop and annual teacher grants. newish principal, formerly school IRF, coming into his own and got best overall set of teachers we've yet had. former principal (Karling) Asst Superintendent for Flynn area so best outcome possible. Both General Ed and Immersion programs are well subscribed and popular. School is real community center for programs to support health care and food insecurity challenges; parenting skills including homework help. It's a beautiful loving place that we really dig.

Posted January 31, 2014
My son started kindergarten at Flynn this past fall. He is in Spanish Immersion. We are very pleased with Flynn so far. Flynn s strong community is amazing. Recently we had a large group of Flynn volunteers spend a Saturday planting a new garden at the main entrance on Harrison Street. Then, today, I saw a Flynn classroom out working in the garden, cleaning it up and keeping it beautiful. The kindergarten teachers are super. There is lots of mixing throughout the kindergarten classes and my son has gotten to know and love all of the kindergarten teachers. He is learning in Spanish and now understands Spanish very well. He can recite his alphabet and numbers in Spanish and, on occasion, he actually speaks a few words in Spanish. We ve made great friends at Flynn, too. We do play dates with several of the kids at Flynn and there are always lots of Flynn friends to play with at Precita Park. We have also become friends with several of the parents and are excited to be building friendships with other neighborhood families who share our excitement about Flynn.

Posted January 31, 2014
I have wanted to write a review for years, but I thought I'd wait until my kid was at Flynn for awhile. Everyone loves the amazing kinder team, so I wanted a broader perspective. My daughter is now a 3rd grader in the General Education program. Every year I think we won't enjoy it as much as the last, but we do. She has had some amazing teachers. They know my kid with all her quirks and truly love and accept her. She has struggled a bit academically and never once have I had to advocate for her. Her struggles have been recognized and addressed before I could bring them up. It has taken some time but she is almost caught up academically. Her friends that are above grade level are met where they are at, and given the appropriate challenges. The teachers and staff really meet each child where they are at. After the amazing teachers, the best thing about Flynn is the community. It is beautifully diverse, both racially and socioeconomically. Both the kid and I have made some really good friends. We didn't apply to Flynn and after multiple rounds, we decided to roll with it. I'm so happy the crazy lottery put us here. It has paid off big time.

Posted December 04, 2013
I LOVE LEONARD FLYNN!! My daughter started Kindergarten this fall in the Spanish Immersion program, and she loves it! She comes home singing songs and telling me about all the new things she is learning. She is excited to go to school every morning which makes me very happy! At first I was a bit nervous about her being in the Spanish Immersion because we only speak English at home, but within the first week of school starting I was positive I made the right decision. Leonard Flynn gives you this a warm, safe, exciting feeling when you walk through the gates and as a working parent I feel that is very important. The Community and Teachers are wonderful! I can guarantee every time I'm on campus I'm greeted with a smile or a hello from everyone that I encounter. I plan on keeping my daughter here until it is time for her to graduate.

Posted September 17, 2013
Flynn is a terrifically inclusive, hard-working, vibrant community with great kids, great teachers and staff, and great potential that is realized more and more every year. Our test scores are improving, our immersion program is thriving, our ELL students are advancing, and we are having fun doing it!

Posted September 16, 2013
This school has a warm, active community of parents and many truly wonderful teachers some national board certified. It's faced with all the bureaucratic burdens of any public school, but it's a special place. The PTA raises around $100,000 a year to fund the garden coordinator, Playworks (recess games organized using conflict resolution skills), extra arts programming and more. The garden coordinator is a certified teacher who creates curriculum and special projects like a water cycle station and a pollination garden. The library is always open for families and there is a full-time librarian. There are lots of support staff- even more this year thanks to the recent public school funding boost- teacher coaches, social workers and even a full-time nurse. One suggestion is that leadership work at being communicative with parents + responsive to problems. It's hard when there is a new principal every couple of years. Some administrative stability would help this wonderful school community.

Posted September 14, 2013
As a parent I can say that Flynn has made many improvements from the past years. They are on the right track and thanks to the new national board certified teachers creating a new foundation, I see a great future for Flynn Elementary. Flynn is rated 2 out of 10, unless you know the school and the teachers well you will see that the 2 rating could be a 5 if people in the SFUSD can get off their chairs and really give a proper evaluation to the school. As a parent of a fifth grader I will not see the future of the school but I know it will be rated higher in the years to come.

Posted September 14, 2013
Flynn is a great school with fantastic dedicated teachers, students and parents who excel under difficult conditions. Flynn is always needing more financial help but perseveres as a community with volunteer and staff spirit that energizes the children. Flynn's student population is very diverse but the whole school always comes together for the sake of the kids. An inner city school serving groups ranging from first generation English learners to those who qualify for student lunches to kids of affluent professionals, everyone chips in and helps. While in many schools this means parents writing checks, at Flynn it means so much more like parents in classrooms helping teachers everyday, repairing broken technology, taking time off work to help on field trips and teach, teachers spending their own money on books and furniture, the PTA scraping up every penny and covering PE, arts and science education that the district cannot pay for. Most telling of all, the students love this school. It is Flynn's diversity that make it successful in the face of steep challenges. It is this hard fought success that make it deserving of so much more.

Posted September 14, 2013
I love being the Teacher Librarian for six years at Flynn(currently on Sabbatical). The whole community believes that children at our school can be part of a model Spanish bilingual library media center. I am so fortunate to have such a supportive community. The Flynn students are super lucky to have this gift of a full time library and this year a F/T library tech assistant as well! Did I say that our students LOVE reading? We have an amazing collection of books that excite children to read. My own two children have spent their public school life in SFUSD and they were not as fortunate to have the type of resource that we have at Flynn. Love LR Flynn!

Flynn (Leonard R.) Elementary School
3125 Cesar Chavez Street, San Francisco, CA  94110
Last modified Flynn (Leonard R.) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flynn (Leonard R.) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews.