Leonard R. Flynn Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 480 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

My son is a 2nd grader at Flynn and is doing very well. His teacher is amazing. He has grown so much academically this past year and couldn't be more happier. The staff is very nice and helpful. He has done so much better since I moved him from his previous school to Flynn.

Posted February 1, 2014

Parent (4) at flynn since K. Teachers uncommonly terrific. nine = certificated master teachers - more than any other SFUSD school. teacher won national award for Teaching Tolerance pgm. sense of community that families value and enjoy -- despite language barriers, always a welcoming nod/smile when you see another new-to-you parent. afterschool program reenvisioned into one shared program for free/subsidized and paying families, eliminating the weird split in past. 'why can't i play with my friends after school?' was common question when no unified program. PTA raises about $100K a year, covers cost of Playworks coach, computers and tech, arts and garden programs, Mission Science Workshop and annual teacher grants. newish principal, formerly school IRF, coming into his own and got best overall set of teachers we've yet had. former principal (Karling) Asst Superintendent for Flynn area so best outcome possible. Both General Ed and Immersion programs are well subscribed and popular. School is real community center for programs to support health care and food insecurity challenges; parenting skills including homework help. It's a beautiful loving place that we really dig.

Posted January 31, 2014

My son started kindergarten at Flynn this past fall. He is in Spanish Immersion. We are very pleased with Flynn so far. Flynn s strong community is amazing. Recently we had a large group of Flynn volunteers spend a Saturday planting a new garden at the main entrance on Harrison Street. Then, today, I saw a Flynn classroom out working in the garden, cleaning it up and keeping it beautiful. The kindergarten teachers are super. There is lots of mixing throughout the kindergarten classes and my son has gotten to know and love all of the kindergarten teachers. He is learning in Spanish and now understands Spanish very well. He can recite his alphabet and numbers in Spanish and, on occasion, he actually speaks a few words in Spanish. We ve made great friends at Flynn, too. We do play dates with several of the kids at Flynn and there are always lots of Flynn friends to play with at Precita Park. We have also become friends with several of the parents and are excited to be building friendships with other neighborhood families who share our excitement about Flynn.

Posted January 31, 2014

I have wanted to write a review for years, but I thought I'd wait until my kid was at Flynn for awhile. Everyone loves the amazing kinder team, so I wanted a broader perspective. My daughter is now a 3rd grader in the General Education program. Every year I think we won't enjoy it as much as the last, but we do. She has had some amazing teachers. They know my kid with all her quirks and truly love and accept her. She has struggled a bit academically and never once have I had to advocate for her. Her struggles have been recognized and addressed before I could bring them up. It has taken some time but she is almost caught up academically. Her friends that are above grade level are met where they are at, and given the appropriate challenges. The teachers and staff really meet each child where they are at. After the amazing teachers, the best thing about Flynn is the community. It is beautifully diverse, both racially and socioeconomically. Both the kid and I have made some really good friends. We didn't apply to Flynn and after multiple rounds, we decided to roll with it. I'm so happy the crazy lottery put us here. It has paid off big time.

Posted December 4, 2013

I LOVE LEONARD FLYNN!! My daughter started Kindergarten this fall in the Spanish Immersion program, and she loves it! She comes home singing songs and telling me about all the new things she is learning. She is excited to go to school every morning which makes me very happy! At first I was a bit nervous about her being in the Spanish Immersion because we only speak English at home, but within the first week of school starting I was positive I made the right decision. Leonard Flynn gives you this a warm, safe, exciting feeling when you walk through the gates and as a working parent I feel that is very important. The Community and Teachers are wonderful! I can guarantee every time I'm on campus I'm greeted with a smile or a hello from everyone that I encounter. I plan on keeping my daughter here until it is time for her to graduate.

Posted September 17, 2013

Flynn is a terrifically inclusive, hard-working, vibrant community with great kids, great teachers and staff, and great potential that is realized more and more every year. Our test scores are improving, our immersion program is thriving, our ELL students are advancing, and we are having fun doing it!

Posted September 16, 2013

This school has a warm, active community of parents and many truly wonderful teachers some national board certified. It's faced with all the bureaucratic burdens of any public school, but it's a special place. The PTA raises around $100,000 a year to fund the garden coordinator, Playworks (recess games organized using conflict resolution skills), extra arts programming and more. The garden coordinator is a certified teacher who creates curriculum and special projects like a water cycle station and a pollination garden. The library is always open for families and there is a full-time librarian. There are lots of support staff- even more this year thanks to the recent public school funding boost- teacher coaches, social workers and even a full-time nurse. One suggestion is that leadership work at being communicative with parents + responsive to problems. It's hard when there is a new principal every couple of years. Some administrative stability would help this wonderful school community.

Posted September 14, 2013

As a parent I can say that Flynn has made many improvements from the past years. They are on the right track and thanks to the new national board certified teachers creating a new foundation, I see a great future for Flynn Elementary. Flynn is rated 2 out of 10, unless you know the school and the teachers well you will see that the 2 rating could be a 5 if people in the SFUSD can get off their chairs and really give a proper evaluation to the school. As a parent of a fifth grader I will not see the future of the school but I know it will be rated higher in the years to come.

Posted September 14, 2013

Flynn is a great school with fantastic dedicated teachers, students and parents who excel under difficult conditions. Flynn is always needing more financial help but perseveres as a community with volunteer and staff spirit that energizes the children. Flynn's student population is very diverse but the whole school always comes together for the sake of the kids. An inner city school serving groups ranging from first generation English learners to those who qualify for student lunches to kids of affluent professionals, everyone chips in and helps. While in many schools this means parents writing checks, at Flynn it means so much more like parents in classrooms helping teachers everyday, repairing broken technology, taking time off work to help on field trips and teach, teachers spending their own money on books and furniture, the PTA scraping up every penny and covering PE, arts and science education that the district cannot pay for. Most telling of all, the students love this school. It is Flynn's diversity that make it successful in the face of steep challenges. It is this hard fought success that make it deserving of so much more.

Posted September 14, 2013

I love being the Teacher Librarian for six years at Flynn(currently on Sabbatical). The whole community believes that children at our school can be part of a model Spanish bilingual library media center. I am so fortunate to have such a supportive community. The Flynn students are super lucky to have this gift of a full time library and this year a F/T library tech assistant as well! Did I say that our students LOVE reading? We have an amazing collection of books that excite children to read. My own two children have spent their public school life in SFUSD and they were not as fortunate to have the type of resource that we have at Flynn. Love LR Flynn!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 14, 2013

3 weeks into Kindergarten in one of the Spanish Immersion classes, our daughter (with minimal Spanish background) is coming home singing full songs in Spanish and is bouncing off the walls while spouting out Spanish words with each bounce. Her mind is clearly being stimulated and she is having a ball. Her teacher is very warm and caring and after morning exercises on the yard, greets each child by name and with a handshake on their way into class. The principal seems to enjoy and care about the kids, but seems somewhat inexperienced and is not particularly inspiring, yet. Hopefully that will come. We haven't gotten too involved in the classroom or PTA yet, but hope to do this. Can't say we know a lot about the school yet, but so far so good!

Posted September 13, 2013

Dear parents, If you live in San Francisco & are looking at schools trying to decide, I have been where you are with the worry and debate over what's best for your kid. I can only give my experience, but I hope it helps someone make decisions for their own family. We have been at Flynn for 5 years, some of which were better than others for parents/leadership/PTA but ALL of which were FANTASTIC for my daughter - the only real one that counts in all of it to me. She learned to read there, made friends there, gained confidence in herself there. She has loved her teachers, her principal, her after school programs. She's 9 going on 13, in my mind, but those formative years have been spent making friends & learning about her world. All schools have some challenges, I hope that you will be open to looking at schools that don't fit what you thought you wanted, & see what is actually of value at the school. My daughter loves her school, & so with our parent eyes, we know there are challenges but we accept them & try to make a difference for her & all the other kids there. Because they all deserve the best that life can give them & an education is the first step in that. Kind regards, A Mom

Posted March 4, 2013

I've been going to school for 4 years and its a really great school and I love the teachers and staff and helpers and PTA staff they rock lets go LEONARD R. FLYNN you ROCK!

Posted January 14, 2013

Our daughter is in first grade and has totally thrived at Flynn. She loves school, reads several levels above grade level, and is consistently learning on a daily basis. Academics have been good as well as the social aspect. There is a lovely and very active parent community here and a great neighborhood feel, and the diversity is something we were really seeking. We appreciate the opportunity for her to be friends and classmates with kids of all backgrounds.

Posted January 13, 2013

Our daughter is a first grader in the General Ed track at Flynn and we are extremely pleased with our experience there. After swallowing our disappointment over not getting a Spanish Immersion spot, we have been delighted with the quality of her education so far, she reads above grade level with expressive ease and finds math to be an interesting puzzle.The community is amazingly diverse-last year there were at least 7 languages represented in her class of 20 peers. Conflicts among the kids are handled through a district wide approach referred to as "restorative practices" which coaches the kids through a communication process that ensures that all sides of a situation are aired and the children collaborate on mutually agreeable solutions. Community is the core value at this school which is astounding considering how diverse it is. When we step onto the campus every morning we step into a happy atmosphere where the children enthusiastically greet each other, the staff are purposefully organizing the flow and promoting connection and keeping an up-beat attitude. Yes, the neighborhood can be "sketchy" but to be real-that'slife in the big city.

Posted January 13, 2013

I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of teaching at Flynn. The teachers are always moving forward and remain firmly committed to engaging each child. The school also impresses me in how it is moving faster than the district on employing Restorative Justice--which is an important tool in addressing conflict and bullying. My child was facing physical and verbal aggression from another child during second grade and I was responded to over the weekend by both the principal and the teacher. A conference with my child, the other child, principal and teacher were conducted the following monday. Parents were spoken with and the problem was done. I am not a parent who has alot of time to spend at the school but Flynn staff and parents seem to have a great partnership.

Posted January 11, 2013

As with everything, there are pros and cons. Pros: diverse student population, caring faculty and staff, warm community. Cons: School does not address bullying and does not really prepare students academically for middle school. The neighborhood can be a little sketchy too.

Posted November 28, 2011

We have our kindergartener in the Spanish Immersion program. He is having a fabulous year. All the kindergarten teachers work as a team, the principal, Mr. Karling, is very skilled with the kids and the PTA is quite active. If you're looking for diversity in the broadest sense, this school is a model for diversity in action! We've been most impressed with the recent Read-a-thon, where the kids raised over $20K for reading books. There was an author night, story-telling assemblies, bilingual book fairs, and a closing ceremony/spaghetti dinner for all. It was a great fundraiser--lots of school spirit, a strong focus on the fun of reading, and of course it brought in much-needed funds for school supplies and books. We highly encourage anyone looking for a good public school to visit Flynn...we're so happy here!

Posted January 4, 2011

I think this school is amazing. The new principal is focused and his energy towards the children, teachers and community is unparalleled! I am the parent of a kindergartener and seeing him thrive socially and academically is incredible. Great parent involvement too! Teachers are so talented!

Posted April 14, 2010

Great School with a clear path toward a top notch curriculum which will benefit all.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students28%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Language learning

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population

School start time
  • 8:35
School end time
  • 2:35
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Ricky Riley Mendoza
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 695-5837

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Reading specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Muni: 27, 48, 67School bus available from Buena Vista, Hillcrest, Gordon J. Lau, Claire Lilienthal, Jean Parker Elementary Schools.

Leonard Flynn Elementary School - Mission YMCA Afterschool Child Care (after school program)

About the program
  • The program is designed to help children grow in the areas of skills development, self sufficiency, physical education, interpersonal relationships, self awareness and self confidence.More details on afterschool and summer programs on the Mission YMCA listing.
  • Mission YMCA
Website

Leonard Flynn Elementary School ExCEL Afterschool Program (after school program)

About the program
  • SFUSD ExCEL afterschool programs ensure involvement of teachers from students' schools to make sure that after-school academics are aligned with the school day curriculum. Every school with an ExCEL program partners with a nonprofit community-based organization to run activities and build bridges to the neighborhood. MLC runs a comprehensive program that includes a high quality literacy program as well as athletic and creative enrichment.
  • Mission Learning Center
  • 5:30 pm
Website

Leonard R. Flynn Early Education School (after school program)

About the program
  • The Early Education Schools work collaboratively with elementary schools to support children's learning. The afterschool programs offer a homework/tutorial period, outdoor experiences, and learning/enrichment activities. Afterschool programs are offered year-round. Bussing is available between a number of SFUSD elementary schools.
  • SFUSD Early Education Department

Summer program 1

About the program
  • Each program has an academic, enrichment and physical activity component. The programs are based on a youth development model and include project based learning activities. The summer programs are operated by community based organizations that are contracted by SFUSD to provide the services based on grants to the school from California Department of Education. Each organization has a site specific enrollment process. Priority enrollment goes to the students from the school site. Students from other SFUSD schools are eligible to apply though in many of the elementary schools there is more demand than available slots. Funding changes year to year and program offerings change.
Types of activities
  • Academic
  • Arts
  • Athletic
  • Reading Partners
Phone number
  • (415) 401-5086

Leonard Flynn Elementary School - Mission YMCA Afterschool Child Care (summer program)

About the program
  • The program is designed to help children grow in the areas of skills development, self sufficiency, physical education, interpersonal relationships, self awareness and self confidence. More details on afterschool and summer programs on the Mission YMCA listing.
  • Mission YMCA
  • (415) 586-6900

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • - strong parental involvement is encouraged through a variety of activities such as classroom volunteering and tutoring, pta meetings, and a parent-led visual art program. -english classes available for parents whose first language is other. -onsite family resource center