Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted January 24, 2016
School continues to get better and better. Knowledgable and experienced teachers. Enthusiastic leader enjoying his second year as Principal. Very involved PTO! All working together to make Garfield a better school each year.

Posted December 10, 2015
This is our first year at Garfield and so far, it's been beyond our expectations! It's a small, cozy, diverse school (about 240 students) on top of a hill, right beneath the Coit Tower, and has a gorgeous view of the Golden Gate Bridge. The principal is amazing - Mr. Owens pours his heart and soul in making this school better everyday. He truly cares about his students and staff. His endless enthusiasm and energy are greatly appreciated. The onsite afterschool program ran by CYC is wonderful as well. The hours are perfect for working parents(1:50-5:45pm) and the activities are endless. My daughter gets exposed to so many quality hands-on, critical thinking activities, on top of what she learns at school. Thank you Garfield for being a wonderful school for our family! We cannot wait until our younger child joins the Mighty Dragons in a few years!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 10, 2015
Thank you to all the teachers and staff who work very hard everyday to make wonderful learning environments for our students.

Posted December 08, 2015
I am new to Garfield, and am coming from a private immersion experience (PKS) that was FANTASTIC. We had the option to stay at PKS, but despite loving it, we chose Garfield. In addition to the financial benefits (we can afford a trip to China now!), I love the size, the parents, the teachers, aftercare clubs, walking to/from school, grabbing dinner in NB after school, and going to school w/neighbors. When we got in to the imm. prog., I sent a msg to PPS to connect me w/parents there, & had 2 parent emails w/in 24hrs. The parent participation is AMAZING. The parents I spoke with were "my people," & I felt connected immediately. Yes, there are also Cantonese speaking families there to whom I cannot SPEAK, but I love that- more people for my child to hear the language from! That's immersion! I want to go on, but this character limit won't let me... I'm only giving 4 stars, just b/c I think this school has not reached its pinnacle yet- but it's already great. PS: For you immersion parents, though this is a new immersion program- they were a biliteracy school before, so they're experienced in language learning, and they did all of their homework when they designed the new program. UPDATE: After spending three years watching this school climb, I have changed my review to 5 stars.

Grateful to: Parent

Posted December 08, 2015
I am grateful to the entire parent community that donates their time to make our school the best it can be for all of our diverse families. I want to particularly thank the Richards family for all they have done in their three years to help get the school to the next level. All of our kids are benefitting from their tremendous amount of time, effort, and skills in organizing and getting things done.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 08, 2015
While doing his homework, he seems determined to do it well. And he reminds me to help him study for his test! I love that!

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted December 08, 2015
Since Kindergarten, I see all the students love and respect their teachers. If the teacher wants their attention, all the teachers have to say is "1, 2, 3, eyes on me" and all the students become quiet and respond with "1, 2, eyes on you!"

Posted December 08, 2015
The teachers and staff go above and beyond for the school, students, and parents. My son always come home after school telling me about what he learned or what he did during school. When there's no school, he would say, "awwwww". The kids are so sweet and parents are so nice and willing to help.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 04, 2015
I would not select one individual but had to so that I could comment on this area. The people at the school have worked very hard together to make things better for our students. We really believe in community and working together.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 04, 2015
Every Friday morning students are recognized for the helpful things they are seen doing throughout the week. Teachers and others recognize students by submitting their names when they have been seen helping others. Students receive "dragon scales" for acts of respect to others, being responsible, and helpful to others.

420 Filbert Street, San Francisco, CA  94133-3002
Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.