San Francisco, CA

Posted October 20, 2014
Garfield is an AMAZING school located on Telegraph Hill in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco. We love Garfield because the teachers are dedicated, talented and engaging; the principal is warm and fun; and the community is diverse and involved. I have three boys who have attended Garfield in each grade, Kindergarten through 5th. We have had a wonderful experience and I highly recommend this school to anyone. Why pay for private school when you can get highly qualified teachers, small class sizes and a quality education at this outstanding public school!!

Posted October 09, 2014
My son is in the Cantonese Immersion Kindergarten class and I'm very happy he is able to attend this school. Some of the things I love about this school are: - His current teacher, Ms. Lun, is passionate and gives 200% in everything she does for the students - The new principal is very enthusiastic and seems to really care about the school - All the parents I've met so far are so nice, willing to volunteer, and support the school - The location is awesome, no traffic, and beautiful view of Coit tower - The after school program is great because the teachers take them after school, I get to pick him up at 6 PM, the after school staff loves the kids, provide snacks, homework time, lots of play time, lots of projects, and lots of clubs - The school's social worker seems to really care about the students and family because he seems to always be organizing things for them from signing parents up for programs to recommend helpful education tips their kids to organizing parents to volunteer in passing out fresh food to families - I love their mascot! A dragon!

Posted September 24, 2014
Garfield is a wonderful tight knit community of students, parents, teachers and staff. Before our daughter started kindergarten, we had a number of the basic concerns and questions that I expect are common to parents with kids starting elementary school. We were very happy to find that Garfield is a small enough school that from the youngest students to the oldest kids know and look out for each other. The general education and Chinese immersion tracks are both great and the teachers in the two programs work together to promote a common school spirit and identity as the Garfield Mighty Dragons. Our daughter settled right into Garfield and got down to the business of learning, growing and having fun!

Posted September 16, 2014
My daughter is in the first grade Cantonese immersion class. Though we only speak English and I can't help her study, I am glad she has this opportunity to learn another language. She loves learning Chinese. Most importantly, I find that the teachers are excited and empowered, the principal is a fearless leader, the PTO is active and involved, and the kids are happy. It seems to be a secret how wonderful this school is, but I wanted to share with other parents considering sending their child to Garfield.

Garfield Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
I am new to Garfield, and am coming from a private immersion experience (PKS) that was FANTASTIC. We had the option to stay at PKS, but despite loving it, we chose Garfield. In addition to the financial benefits (we can afford a trip to China now!), I love the size, the parents, the teachers, aftercare clubs, walking to/from school, grabbing dinner in NB after school, and going to school w/neighbors. When we got in to the imm. prog., I sent a msg to PPS to connect me w/parents there, & had 2 parent emails w/in 24hrs. The parent participation is AMAZING. The parents I spoke with were "my people," & I felt connected immediately. Yes, there are also Cantonese speaking families there to whom I cannot SPEAK, but I love that- more people for my child to hear the language from! That's immersion! I want to go on, but this character limit won't let me... I'm only giving 4 stars, just b/c I think this school has not reached its pinnacle yet- but it's already great. PS: For you immersion parents, though this is a new immersion program- they were a biliteracy school before, so they're experienced in language learning, and they did all of their homework when they designed the new program.

Posted September 26, 2013
Garfield is an amazing school. The principal, teachers, and staff are all very dedicated to education and helping the kids realize their full potential. The community and families are supportive and helpful. The kids are respectful and have such wonderful bonds with one another. This school is safe and caring!

Posted September 26, 2013
Garfield Elementary school is a gem and is located right beneath Coit Tower! Great principal and very supportive teachers. We are glad we chose this school for our child!

Posted November 25, 2012
Our son is a kindergartener in the Chinese immersion program, and he is so happy at Garfield! We are amazed at how he is just thriving here, but really it's no wonder given the community at Garfield. The teachers and principal are incredibly dedicated to the children. There seems to be a great deal of individualized attention on the teachers parts inside the classrooms and on the principal's part in the community space. We always see the principal out and about mingling among the children, and she seems to know every one of them personally. The after-school program is also incredible! It is lead by a group of very dynamic teachers who keep the kids stimulated with various activities, including field trips, art projects, language and other clubs, theme days- complete with costumes and always some form of dancing, and low-cost group lessons including piano and karate. The school itself is a sweet intimate campus at the foot of Coit tower. Overall all we just get a sense that the experience for our son is akin to him having a big supportive school "family", and this has lead to him excelling in academics as well as building social confidence. Couldn't dream of a better scenario.

Posted October 30, 2012
My child is in her second year at Garfield Elementary School. She could not be more proud of her school. Not only are the academics top notch, the enrichment programs such as the After School program are great too. My child loves her teachers, and I love that the school addresses social, emotional and academic development. The Principal is a confident and skilled leader who understands what good teaching is. This school is a gem.

Posted October 12, 2012
Our son started Kindergarten at Garfield this year and we are thrilled with our choice! He is in Ms. Lun's Chinese immersion class and after two months is reading in English, understanding Cantonese and speaking some too. Overall, he is very happy at Garfield and confident in all his academic abilities. We are a family with no prior experience with the Cantonese language and as parents are very impressed with how much he's absorbed in a short period of time. The teachers at Garfield are a group of truly mission-driven people who know how to motivate students AND parents. And I could go on and on about Ms. DeArce, Garfield's excellent principal! She is smart, very well-informed, respected by students, parents and teachers and just inspires a great deal of confidence. We are very lucky to have her. Finally, our first two PTO meetings have been packed this year - as a team we are off to a great start!!

Garfield Elementary School
420 Filbert Street, San Francisco, CA  94133
Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garfield Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top