Gateway High School 3

Posted July 15, 2013
My school is okay. There seems to be a lot of racial discrimination and bullying within the campus community. Not everyone treats everyone else fairly. I don't like this though. It seems hard for the teachers to control since they keep on having meetings and gathering the different grades from each house to talk about the specific issues. Besides the racial discrimination, I feel like the diversity is not even getting better. It tends to get worse over time. There are many African American and Latinos here; very few Chinese. How is this diverse??? Oh well. I am going into my senior year and I hope that this school changes in a positive way because I want my last year to be the best. I need it to be the best because I want to get into a good college.
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 09, 2013
Gateway has great curriculum and a lot of heart. The teachers are challenging and caring. My other kids went to private high schools and I am now wondering why I didn't take a closer look at a wonderful charter school such as Gateway. My son is both gifted and has some learning differences. The teachers have been quick to understand and responsive to his needs and gifts. We love Gateway.

Gateway High School 2

Posted April 27, 2012
Here's an update to my 2009 freshman "We love Gateway" review. My son is a junior at Gateway. This review is from my perspective; I can only refer to the interactions my son and I have had with his teachers, the Principal, Vice Principal/s and the Executive Director. My son is African American. 99%-100% of the teachers are white and the Principal and Executive Director are white. That shouldn t matter, but it does. The teachers haven t the skills to address the cultural diversity of their students appropriately; therefore, students are negatively misjudged. The teaching is inconsistent; depending on how many students are allowed to disrupt the class and how well the teacher is able to connect and engage them. Over these three years, students have been asked to leave if they re failing, expelled or dropped out. Mostly it seemed to be the African American male students.

Posted April 19, 2011
Gateway has phenomenal teachers and staff who are not only well qualified, but continually enthusiastic and actually seem happy to be teaching and working with teens. Sharon Olken provides the kind of leadership that makes a difference in both the culture of the school and the well-being of the students. This truly is the "private school of public schools" offering college counseling, tutoring, a Learning Center, community service, Project Week and many other ways to support and ignite the students. Gateway does an incredible job working with students of all learning styles, and I want to emphasize the 'all' in that sentence. My son is a traditional learner and he is getting a wonderful, rigorous, college prep education. This is not just a school for those with learning differences. It's a school that brings out the best in everyone. I highly recommend you visit Gateway (and now Gateway Middle School), and see the enthusiasm, positive culture and possibility for your child to thrive and have attend college.

Posted January 07, 2011
The teachers are really great and actually enjoy what they're teaching. Gateway is a small school that really prepares you for college.

Posted October 30, 2010
A small successful college prep charter school in an urban environment with 95-100% of the students graduating and going to college-what's not to like?!

Gateway High School 0

Posted October 26, 2010
Hands down, it's the teachers. They make the subjects fun and interesting for the students. They are creative, smart, and work well together.

Posted October 26, 2010
I have to agree with the others. The teachers and staff are the heart of the the school. They make learning interesting which motivates the students.

Posted October 25, 2010
Gateway is extraordinary in many ways, but perhaps most illustrative is this -- its student population contains four times as many kids with identified learning differences as other public schools in the area and yet 95% of seniors get accepted into college. Teachers teach to strengths and continually seek ways to make all students successful.

Posted October 25, 2010
Gateway High, from its foundation of serving students with the highest level of educational standards, has proven worthy of it's name. The dedication of the Principal, Staff, Teachers and Parents, strive to provide their Students with the necessary tools to guide them towards graduation. Yes, we have the Spirit, yet the challenge is still an effort each year to raise the funds. However, the students make all the difference...

Gateway High School
1430 Scott Street, San Francisco, CA  94115
Last modified Gateway High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gateway High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews.