San Francisco, CA

Grattan Elementary School 4

Posted October 22, 2014
Grattan is a wonderful K-5 school with great teachers and a wonderful and dedicated principal. Our kids get gardening, computer, music, and art. The after school program is top notch. My kids love going to school and never want me to pick them up early.

Posted April 23, 2014
We love the community at Grattan and all the hard work that the teachers, parents, administrators and students put in to make it a fun learning experience for our kids! The mission says it all: All teachers at Grattan implement practices that encourage children to view learning with curiosity and joy. The teachers and children enjoy learning and working together. We believe in the necessity for a strong balanced academic program with an affective component. We are committed to the belief that all children are learners and will take personal pride in accomplishments. We are a small, safe school where low class size is a priority and the home/school connection is valued. Our community is dedicated to creating a positive, caring, learning environment where diversity is celebrated and individual differences are honored. Grattan School exists for children to awaken their unique intellectual gifts, stimulate a moral sense and strengthen their self-confidence and resiliency.

Posted February 01, 2013
We have two children at Grattan; one graduating this year. If our first child had not been accepted in to Grattan we would have pursued private school. A couple of the reasons that Grattan works so well from our perspective is that there has been a very positive energy loop for lack of a better expression between the principals, teachers and after school staff and the parents and their kids. Most people have great positive energy and enthusiasm and everything else follows. Parents enjoy being involved; we are happy to contribute money because we see it put to work with mostly terrific results. Grattan is not the only great SF elementary school public or private. The parent involvement has been high and we have been amazed or at the very least satisfied with the teachers. Our kids enjoy their social relationships at school and through activities and sports. The staff is thoughtful about how the kids deal with and grow positively from conflicts.

Posted December 14, 2012
My daughter has attended Grattan since Kindergarten. She's ready to graduate from the fifth grade in 2013. We will miss Grattan. What an amazing experience my daughter has had, and we have had as parents. The Grattan school community is diverse, loving and very cohesive. The principal (5 years ago) and the current one are fabulous and they strive for the best teachers and the best education for the students. We love it and have been so fortunate to attend this school.

Posted December 01, 2012
I went to this school when I was a child up to the 8th grade. LOVED IT. Had 3 brothers and 1 sister that had attended also. I am 78 years old now and look back at my life on Cole St. Seems it is still a great school. We used to stand in the school yard and put our hand over our hearts and say the pledge of allegiance before class. I had excellent teachers then as it seems you do now. The integrity is built in .

Posted August 15, 2012
My children have been at Grattan for the past 6 years and we love the school! Change can be hard for some people and the departure of our long time and well loved principal left some wondering about the future. The new principal has done an excellent job carrying on the student centered philosophy and supporting the excellent teaching staff. As a parent, I feel welcomed and appreciated in volunteering and helping the staff and PTA. My children's experience has also been consistently positive and they've grown both academically and socially. I highly recommend this school!

Posted August 15, 2012
I have had 2 children thrive at Grattan. I have always been impressed with the dedication of the teachers and staff. They really know and care about their students. I am a teacher and started volunteering my time. I was welcomed by the community. Eventually, I became part of the staff and am now a librarian at Grattan. I love my job. In all the years I have taught, I have never been in such a pleasant, smart, and supportive environment. Mr. Reedy has assumed the role of principal with ease and dealt with hard situations professionally and respectfully. The teachers love their jobs and their students. They work so hard. I am in awe of my colleagues. Grattan is a happy place, and you can tell from the smiles and the laughter. I am looking forward to another great year. Please feel free to stop by the library anytime and ask me about Grattan!

Posted November 08, 2010
We feel very fortunate to be here. Kindergarten was a good experience, and first grade has been fantastic. Families are very involved, the principal is incredible.

Posted August 22, 2010
My son is in 4th grade and we both absolutely love this school.The principal is fantastic and the parents are very involved.It's a safe nurturing atmosphere.My only complaint is that it's k-5,not k-8

Posted November 24, 2009
Grattan is by far one of THE best schools I have ever experience. As a child I studied in the British, American, Spanish and Danish school systems and never was I challenged or inspired the way my 1st grader and 4th grader are at Grattan. And to the parent who criticized the principal, WHAT? That woman is a class act, amazing, dedicated heart and soul to the school, knows every single child's name and is involved BEYOND the call of duty. She is the heart of the school and Grattan would not shine the way it does were it not for her and the wonderful teachers. GO GRATTAN! I never want my kids to leave! *sniff*

Grattan Elementary School
165 Grattan Street, San Francisco, CA  94117
Last modified Grattan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grattan Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top