Posted January 07, 2014
I've had two kids in this school and the school continues to change and with each change things are more unstable, unhappy teachers, fights and bullying among studnets with a teacher right there and they won't intervene. It is ok for student to attack another student and the victim is not allow to defend themselves, the bully is not punished and sent to behavioral change classes which doesn't change the bullying. So yeah, this is a very large school and yeah the bullying getting is worst, sometimes the bullying is done by the teachers. So I'm really disgusted right now. Then there's the PTA fund. In 2012-2013 school year, we found out that over $6000 was spent on food and the money didn't go to better the school for the students or staff to provide an better learning environment. This school year 2013-2014, there is almost no parent involvement and the PTA is doing as little as possible. I am sad to see how much this school has changed when my oldest went here to the way it is now. There's no information going home to the parents so even being at the school or talking to other parents who are involved, there is nothing.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 4

Posted May 06, 2013
My daughter is about to complete her first year in Spanish immersion at Hoover. The two Spanish-language teachers (Spanish and Social Studies) are new(ish), and there are disciplinary issues that sometimes disrupt class time. I'm unimpressed with her Science teacher, but that hasn't held back her progress. Otherwise, our experience with Hoover has been very good. My daughter loves band and has gotten a lot out of the program. Her English and Math teachers are first rate. One of the reasons we chose Hoover was their adoption of ALEKS, a terrific math software program that adapts to the individual's grasp of the subject matter. I always get prompt response from her teachers when I contact them via Schoolloop. I've been happy with the social aspects as well. There are lots of clubs and sports available, and from day one the student body was welcoming to the incoming sixth graders. I haven't had direct experience with the discipline problems other reviewers mentioned, so I can't speak to that. But I am impressed by the principal's commitment to the school community, and the positive social and anti-bullying sentiment school-wide.

Posted February 05, 2013
II work for the SFUSD and have substituted at Hoover in the past. My family lives in the attendance area that feeds into Hoover. It's hard to believe what has happened to this school under the current administration. Because of a lack of discipline for the chronically disruptive students, the entire school suffers. There are no consequences for behavior which is totally unacceptable. The last time I filled in for a teacher, I was verbally abused by some students, in front of the entire class. I reported it to the office. (The rest of the students were fine, btw) When I returned the following week, nothing had been done. I found out that I was not the only member of the staff who had experienced the same type of "verbal bullying" without any consequences. I love teaching, but, will not send my 2 sons to Hoover. If this can happen to me, I do not want my sons to experience the same thing; disrespect, verbally bullying, and allowing a few kids to disrupt classes, while the administration closes it's eyes.

Posted November 14, 2012
Have had 2 kids here . Good teachers, but the administration (the principle at the head) do not handle discipline issues, turn their backs to it, no consequences and pushes a policy of inflating grades. No wonder the grades are meaningless and the teachers demoralized. My last child will go into private school next year.

Posted October 25, 2012
There are bunch of thieves in Hoover Middle School. What a shame! My daughter's iphone and her money got stolen and she also found out her friend's iphone got stolen not long ago. It's a place of education for their future but they're learning to be a thief instead!

Posted October 17, 2012
This is a review of the Spanish Immersion Program at Hoover Middle School for the 2012 to 2012 school year. With the departure of Ms Garcia this program has been left in the hands of two young and inexperienced teachers, both are very nice young men but neither seem to be effective. My 8th grade student can't focus in either his Spanish Language or Social Studies class as the classes are out of control. The program is not well organized the work is not interesting or challenging and English is spoken in the social studies class. Don't come to this school for Spanish Immersion.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 5

Posted September 22, 2011
I'm kind of sad to know that I'm leaving this school in maybe 8 months. Hoover's stuck with me for the past three years, and although the quality is not all great, I have been so proud to be a hawk. Go Hoover Hawks!!

Posted June 05, 2011
IMy child just graduated 8th grade. If your child is not interested in the music program, there is no particular reason to send them to Hoover. My experience is administration hides behind teacher union rules to avoid any extra work and the (non music) teachers are mostly average to awful. There are a few gems but when your child has core teachers consisting of 1 gem and 3 clunkers, the average isn't pretty. The administration does care about safety, but, not about academics for non honors students.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 0

Posted May 06, 2010
I have been at this school 2 years and it just keeps getting better. The principal is working with the staff to make an inner city school become a better place for all kids.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 0

Posted April 23, 2010
Because it has helped my two children grow into two mature caring young ladies that enjoy learning.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School
2290 14th Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94116
Last modified Hoover (Herbert) Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hoover (Herbert) Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews.