Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Grateful to: Parent

Posted April 04, 2016
There are a couple of parents that put in a lot of work volunteering and trying to make a difference.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted April 04, 2016
Seems like there are so many days that the student has no homework at all. I haven't seen a tough assignment from school yet.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted April 04, 2016
There are some teachers that do not care. They seem like that are just putting in their time before retirement.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted April 04, 2016
Not fair to student when teachers don't try to do a good job teaching. The students are trying to learn and teachers are not setting a example example.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 2

Posted April 04, 2016
My child had a few terrible teachers. Disorganized, uncaring, do not listen. Tried to talk to a teacher about an assignment and teacher just walked away. Spoke to a counselor which said there was nothing they could do. Just terrible.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 5

Posted January 04, 2015
I'm a seventh grader this years and I love Hoover. I am graduating in 2016. Some of the teachers aren't really good, but a bigger majority of the teachers are really good at teaching. The counselors are super nice. Hoover gives you freedom and that's what a kid want but they don't give you too much freedom so it doesn't get out of hand. There are also a lot of sports programs. I'm glad to to be a hawk. Lets Go Hoover Hawks!!!!!!!

Posted January 07, 2014
I've had two kids in this school and the school continues to change and with each change things are more unstable, unhappy teachers, fights and bullying among studnets with a teacher right there and they won't intervene. It is ok for student to attack another student and the victim is not allow to defend themselves, the bully is not punished and sent to behavioral change classes which doesn't change the bullying. So yeah, this is a very large school and yeah the bullying getting is worst, sometimes the bullying is done by the teachers. So I'm really disgusted right now. Then there's the PTA fund. In 2012-2013 school year, we found out that over $6000 was spent on food and the money didn't go to better the school for the students or staff to provide an better learning environment. This school year 2013-2014, there is almost no parent involvement and the PTA is doing as little as possible. I am sad to see how much this school has changed when my oldest went here to the way it is now. There's no information going home to the parents so even being at the school or talking to other parents who are involved, there is nothing.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 4

Posted May 06, 2013
My daughter is about to complete her first year in Spanish immersion at Hoover. The two Spanish-language teachers (Spanish and Social Studies) are new(ish), and there are disciplinary issues that sometimes disrupt class time. I'm unimpressed with her Science teacher, but that hasn't held back her progress. Otherwise, our experience with Hoover has been very good. My daughter loves band and has gotten a lot out of the program. Her English and Math teachers are first rate. One of the reasons we chose Hoover was their adoption of ALEKS, a terrific math software program that adapts to the individual's grasp of the subject matter. I always get prompt response from her teachers when I contact them via Schoolloop. I've been happy with the social aspects as well. There are lots of clubs and sports available, and from day one the student body was welcoming to the incoming sixth graders. I haven't had direct experience with the discipline problems other reviewers mentioned, so I can't speak to that. But I am impressed by the principal's commitment to the school community, and the positive social and anti-bullying sentiment school-wide.

Posted February 05, 2013
II work for the SFUSD and have substituted at Hoover in the past. My family lives in the attendance area that feeds into Hoover. It's hard to believe what has happened to this school under the current administration. Because of a lack of discipline for the chronically disruptive students, the entire school suffers. There are no consequences for behavior which is totally unacceptable. The last time I filled in for a teacher, I was verbally abused by some students, in front of the entire class. I reported it to the office. (The rest of the students were fine, btw) When I returned the following week, nothing had been done. I found out that I was not the only member of the staff who had experienced the same type of "verbal bullying" without any consequences. I love teaching, but, will not send my 2 sons to Hoover. If this can happen to me, I do not want my sons to experience the same thing; disrespect, verbally bullying, and allowing a few kids to disrupt classes, while the administration closes it's eyes.

Posted November 14, 2012
Have had 2 kids here . Good teachers, but the administration (the principle at the head) do not handle discipline issues, turn their backs to it, no consequences and pushes a policy of inflating grades. No wonder the grades are meaningless and the teachers demoralized. My last child will go into private school next year.

2290 14th Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94116-1841
Last modified Hoover (Herbert) Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.