Posted May 07, 2014
Very good School, it is because of the dedicated teachers and a very warm , loving,hard working principal Ms. Cranna. She knows each kid by the name. She greets the parents , she is there in the morning and the afternoon at the school gate helping the kids and ensures safety at all time. PTA here is very hardworking, tries to take advantage of every possibility to raise money for the school activities. There is a green environment strongly preached, which is obvious with the garden that has vegetables, flowering plants, fruit trees grown with the help of little volunteers- the students of Jefferson. The kids come home with a lot of enthusiasm and narrate what they did at school. There is hardly any day my little ones have had a low moment at school. There is parent involvement, parents can go volunteer in their childs clasroom by signing up at the office. There are educational field trips to various places in and around San Francisco. Even the K kids get an opportunity to go overnight camping. Fun!

Posted September 26, 2013
I am so thankful that my husband persuade me to check out Jefferson Elementary School . They have wonderful teachers. Ms. Cranna, who is the principal is an amazing influence to the Jefferson community. Parents are helpful and friendly.Our PTA is very active and dedicated. We are very happy here and so is our daughter.

Posted August 18, 2013
Jefferson has been a lovely community for my son, who is now entering 1st grade. We were assigned there with very little knowledge of the school and could not be more grateful for his placement. The teachers are easily the secret ingredient to making the school and community so inviting and successful. Though located right on 19th Avenue, the greenery and garden at Jefferson are beautiful--and are an amazing resource from which children can learn science. Our PTA continues to grow and focuses on raising funds for extra activities for the children. Jefferson is a gem.

Posted August 07, 2013
Jefferson is excellent because of its' amazing staff of teachers and professionals. Every year, we are blessed by great teaching and a compassionate understanding of kids. Jefferson encourages direct parent participation and volunteerism. It is one of its' strengths. Jefferson is working toward ambitious goals in outdoor and garden education, updating its computer and tech learning capabilities, and keeping true to providing a great deal of art and supplements to science education. This is a school you will want to take a look at!

Posted August 28, 2012
We are extremely lucky to get into Jefferson. Our son is in 1st grade and the school is awesome - well coordinated, safe, responsive. Principal and staff are aligned, strong PTA though there could be more involvement. The kindergarden classes have a lot of field trips, perform an opera where they decide the theme, make the sets etc. The school is adjacent to the Sunset library and all classes go to the library often. There is an annual Track & Field day at Kezar stadium, Math Night, Science Night, buddy system between younger grades and older grades, good balance between academics (strong) and creative arts and sports (Jefferson has a kickball team).... overall it is fantastic. Yes the school is affected by state budget cuts just like all schools are but the PTA and staff are responsive and communicate to address and prioritize needs, like all public schools kids that are presumably above grade level find it less challenging but in most cases parents are the ones that think their kids are unusually gifted and do not focus on well rounded development. My one big complaint is that the school is not as diverse, especially low on African American and Latino families.

Jefferson Elementary School 2

Posted August 06, 2012
Their after school program fee increased to 520 per month. It is crazy. We have no money to support my kids there. I am thinking to move to others schools.

Jefferson Elementary School 1

Posted March 21, 2012
We ve been at Jefferson for 3 years. I am surprised to see that the school still maintains a high rating. Community at Jefferson is good. The PTA carries a heavy burden. We are leaving Jefferson because of gross misrepresentations about their offerings. Started K 09. At that time the school had all of the opportunities claimed, such as PE, Mandarin, poetry. However, many of these programs have disappeared. A majority of the programs that Jefferson claims to have are only offered as afterschool enrichment at a high cost. Afterschool is $460/month, add l for holidays even if you don t attend. You will pay for any add l enrichment classes. Chess, it is an add l $135/sem. If your don t enroll in the summer, you are not guaranteed a spot in afterschool the following year. The cost of the summer program is $995/month, even if you don t attend. If your child is above-grade level, the school does not do anything to provide a challenging experience. In 1st grade, one playground rull was "No Running." Seriously. In 2nd grade, the teacher told us that this is the time when the children must sit still that s what 2nd grade s all about. Common consequence is to be benched at recess.

Posted March 19, 2012
When my child entered Jefferson in the 2011 school year I was nervous about the transition from preschool to kindergarten. It was not our first choice in the lottery but we decided to go to this school anyhow and I cannot be happier. This is an excellent school with fantastic teachers and families. Such a good community and the PTA is excellent. I feel like the teachers really know and care about the students and the students care about each other which is one of the most important things to me.

Posted October 13, 2011
I am thankful every day that my family is a part of the Jefferson community. The principal (Mary Lou Cranna) and faculty are committed to educating the whole child, so while Jefferson's test scores are excellent and the classrooms focused, there is much more to my son's days at school. There is a concentration on social, physical, and artistic exploration. A focus on healthy eating habits and environmental responsibility. Two beautiful gardens/outdoor classrooms. A public library next to the campus, and Golden Gate Park is a block away. The PTA is active and enthusiastic - in 2010/11, we raised $150,000! I am constantly impressed with the level of parental support in the school - both financially and in the classrooms. It truly does feel as if we'd won the lottery with this school assignment!

Posted September 22, 2011
Hello there, first, I would like to introduce myself. I am a former student and now an eighth grader, and this school has shaped how I am. It is a beautifully strong and excelling elementary school, and it was wonderful back when the principal was Ms.Rosen. She was a very strong and excellent principal, and it was sad to see her resign. For my fifth grade year I had Mr.Tam as a principal, and I was upset to see the quality of the school dropping a bit. The year after I left, a very good teacher was let off, and the principal changed once more. I was happy to hear some A+ quality teachers were still left. All teachers were very supporting, and it was a very homey school to me. Parents of students were very involved, and there was a lot of extra curricular activities. I loved it, I still love it,. Fabulous school.

Jefferson Elementary School
1725 Irving Street, San Francisco, CA  94122
Last modified Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jefferson Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 64 reviews.