Bad
Good

I have 2 kids at Lawton and cannot say enough about the incredible staff (from front office to janitors) and families. The teachers are engaged, enthusiastic, and genuinely seek to connect with the kids. The PTA does amazing work despite their limited budget and works hard to bridge the many gaps left by budget cuts. Principal Gina Ferrante is passionate about what she does and inspires all the kids to do their best. Go Lawton Lions!!!

A former student- I spent 8.5 years at Lawton and I have to say looking back it was probably the best school I went to. The teachers were great and the curriculum was put in high standards. I believe Lawton is one of the few schools left in the district with Detention which is actually a good way for kids to learn. My 6th grade was memorable as I literally "flunked" so a decision was made for me to go to James Denman Middle School. At Lawton, my GPA was barely a 2.0 while my GPA at Denman was a 4.0; but I was constantly getting bullied at Denman so it got to a point where I broke a bully's nose and another decision was made so I got sent back to Lawton because I had a learning disability. I'm a teacher today and most of my techniques were learned from when I was at Lawton. I remember this school is academically hard but in a good way. If I were a parent I would only consider sending my children to Lawton or Alice Fong Yu because as a teacher I've seen which schools work and Lawton is one of them.

The school is k-8. It is safe. Students mostly Asian. I do not see and hear any bully situation . This school is very academic. 3-4 pages of homework per day for Kindergarden plus book report. It does not teach too much of the learning foundation. Parents are not very active. The ones active is working very hard. PE, music , art, science are taught by home room teacher for lower grade. I wish I can see more extra curriculum. New principal and new vice principal. Too little space for too many student.

Lawton Alternative is a great school with a very family friendly environment. Our family really loves the staff. All the teachers we've come to know are very nurturing and dedicated to the kids. We've got a new principal and assistant principal and we think they're going to be really good for the school The PTA is active and helps fill the gap left by state funding cuts.

Lawton is a great school. Having transfered both of my children from private school - we found the faculty as strong and engaged as any. The size and K-8 connections are exactly what we wanted and help keep the middle school kids focused and committed. The principle is a good leader and communicator. True that the diversity could be a little more mixed, but, all in all, the kids seem color blind. With a grant to green the school yard, the school just keeps getting better....

We've felt very fortunate that our son has spent eight years at Lawton. His teachers have mostly ranged from the good to the very good; they and the principle have shaped a school community where academic achievement is valued. The K-8 set-up has worked well for us--it was nice not to have the stress of finding a good middle school a couple of years before having to find a good high school.

This is really a great school. You get to know everyone and are really close to everyone for 9 years. The teachers really prepare you and care about you. Currently I am attending Wallenberg and Lawton really prepared me to do well at that school.

My child goes to this school. The principal has very high standards and makes sure that all students achieve. All-around excellent school.

Lawton is a great school. I graduated from this school in 2007. The teachers are really helpful and friendly, and prepare you well for high school. Although there isn't much diversity (the school has mostly Asian students), everyone finds close friends and knows everyone else. The environment is very safe. No one ever really stresses out from homework. About getting into high school, of the students in my graduating class, around 26 students (out of 66, which is nearly half) were accepted into and are currently attending Lowell, and not one person is attending Mission High. A few people even got accepted into private schools. Please consider this school for your child.

My daughter recently transferred to Lawton. It has surpassed my expectations. She is thriving socially and being challenged academically. Teachers are dedicated - your child will not get lost here. Learning disabilities are accomodated. Lack of racial diversity is an issue, but that is a problem throughout the west-side SFUSD schools.

Last modified Lawton Alternative Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.