Posted November 17, 2013
Claire Lilienthal has become part of our family for the past 10 years. The teachers and administration have both challenged and loved my children every day. No wonder it is the best school in San Francisco and one of the best in the state of California. We love Lilienthal.

Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School 1

Posted April 16, 2013
I used to go to CL and i transfered to a private school which i absolutely love. This school has terrible teachers and is mostly for students that fall behind.

Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School 4

Posted December 05, 2012
It's true if you have a typical kid you might be A. O.K. but if your kid excels in a particular discipline, good luck getting any instruction targeted to your kid's ability. The principal seems to have mastered every way to say "your on your own" without ever saying so. Also and in the mean time be ready to empty your pockets with this, that, and the other thing, but not instruction to your or any advanced kid. Pitiful. Teachers seem good natured and generally agreeable but for the most part their hands are tied to CLA's that shoot toward advancing API scores directed by the Principal and Vice that keep your curious kid from shooting for the stars. Unfortunate and disappointing.

Posted November 27, 2012
This is an amazing school! Our daughter started kindergarten this fall and has been challenged and happy. She's progressing rapidly in her skills relative to preschool. Our teacher is very talented and committed, emails us all the time. Lots of opportunity for parent involvement which we have been able to take advantage of. Also, we enrolled 3 days in the after school program, CLASP, which our daughter LOVES! All of the parents I have met are highly enthusiastic about the school and committed to supporting it. Claire Lilienthal is a wonderful, wonderful place!

Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School 1

Posted September 29, 2012
This is a great school if you don t care if your kids learn anything. I have two kids in the school and last year they stopped teaching the minute they completed the standardized test. My daughter s class watched a Disney film while my son s class went bowling. Again at the beginning of this year my daughter s class watched another movie. CL strives for mediocrity. This appears to be a common problem with San Francisco schools where the goal is to integrate children regardless of their abilities and/or psychological needs. But with CL they fail to challenge the kids. As a result kids who may excel in one area such as math or reading are ignored. The school does have great teachers and the principle pays lip service to parents concerns. But what the school lacks is a standardized curriculum that makes sure the kids are on a path to learn the material but also a way to help both the kids who are above average as well as those who are failing behind or have psychological issues. In addition, they make it difficult to participate as a volunteer unless you have experience working in a sweat shop then you can help manufacture some bedspreads for the fund raiser.

Posted September 18, 2012
My daughter just started K and we are blown away so far. Caring, committed teachers and staff, highly involved parents, and a warm and respectful environment. We feel very lucky to be here.

Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School 3

Posted June 20, 2012
For an SF public school, CL is probably better than some, however, is is still a SF public school, they all have their unique problems. My 2 children are not pushed academically, rather shuffled through because they don't cause problems. Teachers are overworked and spend much of their time with the problem students. CL is supposed to be a parent participation school, but when I asked my 1st graders teacher on multiple occasions throughout the year to volunteer in the classroom, I was never given the opportunity. While there are outstanding teachers in every school, I would say there are teachers at CL need to be replaced. The split between campuses, while nice in a sense to keep the k-2 separate, creates a strange dichotomy with the school community. I would say that CL is still teaching to the test, doing the best it can with the curriculum, but there is enormous room for improvement.

Posted March 10, 2012
Sounds like one parent had one bad experience and wrote an extremely harsh review. Ouch! My experience of Mr Hack is completely different He is caring and a good communicator with an open door policy. Knows all the kids by name and tries to reach out to them.

Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School 0

Posted May 21, 2010
We love the school!!! Great teachers and community!! Our son is VERY happy there, he has learned so much. His teachers keep him constantly challenged while fostering his self confidence and love of learning. The parent association is extremely involved and has done a tremendous job. We cannot recommend it more!!

Posted April 24, 2010
The parents and school staff work together to make a great school for the kids.

Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School
3630 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA  94123
Last modified Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lilienthal (Claire) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews.