Posted May 07, 2014
Lowell is a challenging, inspiring, fun school for my 17 YO son. He works hard, most teachers are dedicated and skilled, athletics are fantastic, and fellow students smart and kind. Awesome.

Posted February 13, 2014
After finishing my first semester at Lowell, coming from a small private school, I am pleasantly surprised. While most of my friends are attending cushy private high schools, I am enjoying being a public school student. I have made amazing, down to earth friends who I can rely on for everything. Yes, the school is run down, but it has heart! I am gaining a much better understanding of math and enjoying biology for the first time. My English class is quirky and interesting and my history teacher is one of the most inspiring people I have ever met. I am involved in several clubs and the homework load is manageable. Lowell has definitely taken me out of the private school bubble, which I hugely appreciate. I have become more independent and open to the world. Do not be afraid to come to Lowell!

Lowell High School 1

Posted December 04, 2013
Lowell is not measurable to its reputation. My daughter arrived at this school an honor student and is leaving as one. It isn't because of this school that she is successful. Her counselor is ineffective. My child has been racially profiled by a profanity using teacher. It's her senior year and we couldn't be happier to leave. The courses are challenging but as far as prepping for college it's no different than Galileo. I have two children in SFUSD and my experience is Lowell is really not worth the hype. All of the hoops you must jump in just to get in is not worth it's salt. They have a practice where some students are allowed to skip lunch and take a class so potentially as a minor you can go the whole day without eating. My bottom line is if your child is already a model student, you don't have to further prove it by sending them to Lowell. This was my mistake. Once she is in college no one will care that she went to Lowell. Lowell will not provide you with a better opportunity to a UC than any other school will. Especially if the counselor is lazy. I've shared my experience so do as you please.
2 people found this helpful

Posted December 02, 2013
Lowell high school is a great school with great encouraging students and teachers. This school is very challenging but it prepares you for your future. Also, it pushes us as students to look on our future to become very organize and successful. Lowell can be difficult to some students but at the end, they attend to look back and say " Everything here, was worth it!! " . Lowell is a friendly community. I recommend every student to enter Lowell High School.

Lowell High School 3

Posted August 23, 2013
I agree with the previous post: For all the hype and self-regard, Lowell hasn't been a fabulous experience for my son. He is an intellectual person who loves ideas, but he's found many of his courses dull and many of his teachers uninspiring (he's had a number of good teachers, who I'm grateful for, but too many Lowell teachers seem to be just putting in time.) SAT's, GPA's, and how many AP classes you can cram into your schedule seems to be the major preoccupation of students, parents, and administrators alike. What ever happened to the joy of learning?

Posted August 23, 2013
The best asset of this school is the student body. They're motivated, well behaved and I feel safe to have my child here. However, you're on your own to find out and to get what's right for you. There's not enough school support when issues come up. Some teachers are really bad but if you get the good ones, this is a great school with lots of opportunities. We're disappointed with some teachers in the math department who just don't care about students and their potential and development. It's very disheartening. Another veteran parent has told me before that she's not sending her second child here just because she found the math department so broken. All in all, it's still a very good place because of the wonderful peers any child will find and you'd still have your share of good teachers.

Lowell High School 3

Posted August 22, 2013
Lowell is lauded because it's rated one of the top high schools in America. Unfortunately, although it's rated so high, the mantra there is "GPA, GPA, GPA." (At home, we cal lit the GPA factory.) and SATs. The focus is more on the grades and numbers, not the education. This has led to widespread cheating -- my son tells me. There are some excellent teachers but many surprisingly terrible ones (for such a supposedly great school) and because of the way students sign up for teachers, one semester they may get a really bad batch of instructors. On the plus side, it's a school filled with interesting students and your child can probably find her/his "people." There are so many clubs and organizations. Most students are focused on doing well and so, at least so far, our experience is that they stay out of trouble...well, in general.

Posted August 22, 2013
Great academic program. Students must like to compete and study hard. Teachers are helpful and responsive even though the lines are long. Many clubs to choose from. Best of all, there is no tuition.

Posted May 12, 2013
Lowell is an excellent high school with great peers and school environment. If your child comes home and tells you that he loves Lowell, he will be happy in college because: 1) Lowell is the right school for your child and he has the skills to adapt to a vigorous academic environment and 2) your child appreciates what Lowell offers (even though Lowell could use some improvements). I have one child who graduated from Lowell and has a great freshmen experience in college and a younger one is still at Lowell. They both enjoyed Lowell even though they have totally different personalities and interests. Be realistic about Lowell. If you are a middle student and considering Lowell, keep in mind that at least top 10% of your peers will be Ivy, Cal, and UCLA bound, at least 10 of them may never get a B in high school. I strongly recommend taking a tour after your admission to Lowell. To see what Lowell is like outside the classrooms, you definitely don't want to miss its Talent Show in May, school musical and play during the year. Lowell has a great tennis team this year. No matter what your child's interests are, there is something for him to enjoy at Lowell. Good luck and enjoy HS.

Posted April 11, 2013
This is one of the few best public schools in San Francisco. Most students that go to this school get admitted and go straight into UC Berkeley. Most of the students graduate from high school. The school is a huge campus with many classrooms. The school is mainly made up of Chinese American and Asian American students. The school is close to San Francisco State University. Every spring, the annual Chinese speech competition, from toddlers to college-aged students take place. Of course everyone is put in the right categories of school age and age.

Lowell High School
1101 Eucalyptus Drive, San Francisco, CA  94132
Last modified Lowell High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lowell High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 254 reviews.