Bad
Good

My daughter completed kindergarten with Mr. Kallock. He was exceptional in developing powerful relationships with the kids and also scaffolding their academic and social-emotional learning. Principal Sousa has also been a beacon of warmth, intelligence, caring for the entire community. We now have Ms Charkins as our teacher in first grade. She has elevated learning and curiosity and dignity in the students to higher level. The last but not least component is the passionate and committed group of parents. We feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful public school in our neighborhood. McKinley has exceeded our expectations.

Both my children have thrived at McKinley. My oldest is now at Everett Middle School (McKinley's feeder school) and she and her McKinley alumni peers represented a significant portion of the honor roll students in the third quarter. It's quite a testament to the strong foundation they received at McKinley.

From his first day at McKinley Elementary several years ago, my son has thrived. With one exception (in an early grade), we have been very pleased with the teachers our son has had. And my spouse and I found an open and inclusive group of parents and caregivers at the school. The administration, teachers, PTA and students all contribute to making this a high-quality elementary school in the middle of San Francisco.

McKinley is an incredibly strong school right in the heart of San Francisco. While our API score is impressive (899) what speaks even more to McKinley's strength as a place for all children to learn is the staff. Starting with the school principal and going right on down through each of the grade-level teachers to the other learning professionals there is a strong focus on literacy (we have a PTA-sponsored literacy specialist doing early grade-level interventions with students), respect for learning and community, and a desire to help every student to the best of his/her ability. There is a very diverse student body (the most equal mix of African-American, Latino, Asian, and European caucasian I have seen at any San Francisco school) and a well-run after-school program. The parent community is very strong and fundraising makes sure we have an excellent arts and science program. I could not be happier with this school for my kids and our family.

Leaning into the new school year, McKinley is poised to start another fall term with the long standing, traditional welcome cook out. This is one of many culturally positive, inclusive events that are designed to build, tighten and strengthen an already strong community by building ways for new families to weave into the strong fabric of an excellent school.

Feels like a private school. Small and efficient. My son is now in 1st grade and we have absolutely adored our teachers so far. It seems everyone is happy with their teachers. My son loves going to school. He says he wishes there were more school days and misses it on the weekends. We feel very lucky.

fantastic community of parents students and faculty!

Awesome school, kids and teachers!

I love education and the idea of smart, prepared, interested kids..taking their place in the world..america is in bad shape..mind and body..

We have great, committed and kind teachers, joyful learning kids, and wonderful parent involvement. Good diversity and it's within walking distance!

Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.