San Francisco, CA

Posted October 03, 2014
Miraloma is a great school with fantastic teachers and a history of strong principals which is being upheld with our new principal, Sam Bass. We love the inclusive community of parents who work together to support all of our students both through fund-raising for wonderful enrichments and services (class size reduction, art and music programs, garden program, organic snacks daily for the whole school, school social worker, etc) and through creating a cohesive community which recognizes the concept of "it takes a village to raise a child". I consider myself a shy person, but I have found the community to be extremely welcoming to anyone interested in participating in the school at whatever level. We feel fortunate that our children have Miraloma as their elementary school experience.

Posted October 02, 2014
We truly won the lottery when my son got into Miraloma 5 years ago. This is everything we were looking for in a school. The teachers are amazing and I can't say enough positive things about the leadership. The old principal (Mr. Machado) was beloved so many were a little nervous about getting a new principal. Mr. Bass has risin to the challenge and has taken over the reins of the school without missing a beat, despite the added challenge of a school under construction. And the best part of the school is the warm and open community. Each grade goes on an annual grade-wide camping trip which means you really get to know not just the kids in class, but their families as well. Miraloma is truly a special place.

Posted April 21, 2014
Miraloma is such a wonderful community of student, faculty, staff, and parents. You really can feel the positive energy even as you just walk the halls, and it comes from a lot of people putting in a lot of hard work to make it that way. Miraloma really is one of the gems in SFUSD.

Miraloma Elementary School 4

Posted March 14, 2014
I would have to say this is a great school, not only do they do focus on getting the children at the expected level but also get them involved in a community that is almost impossible to not become part of. On the downside: if you are not to chatty, there are "groups" of parents that are their own "gang" and gather around after school, which reminds me of high school days when each person joined a group and often times did not accept newbies. Parents do get to gather/speak with who ever is accepted to their "groups." That would be the only thing I dislike about Miraloma, not feeling welcomed. Academic wise... I can't complain, they've made a huge progress on my child's learning. Also, another downside for those who rely on public transportation -- IT IS UP ON A HILL! So even driving there gets a bit crazy, I find myself getting to school at least 25 minutes early to avoid the traffic and find parking. On my daily routine I get to grab some coffee from Starbucks right on Portola before heading there to make my morning smoother! GOOD LUCK!

Posted September 23, 2013
This school fosters community -- among the students and parents alike. While it's not a small school per se (360 kids), it feels like it. Class sizes are low, teachers take great care to get to know the students and families.
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 04, 2013
One kid just graduated (with a passion for Shakespeare because of a stellar 5th grade teacher) and one is still there (and developed a love of reading from a warm and motivational 2nd grade teacher). Miraloma is a happy, friendly and engaging place. The principal, teachers and support staff try to meet the needs of every student. The parent community is active at all levels. There are always parents around, helping in the class rooms or the snack program. The PTA is well organized and fund raising is effective, so the school offers ceramics, poetry, drama, dance, PE and reading intervention. The after school programs are wonderful. You can't go wrong sending your kids here.
3 people found this helpful

Posted July 08, 2013
My son attends Miraloma entering the 1rst grade. So far our experience has been great. Miraloma has a very strong community with parents that are very involved and create an environment for success. The teachers and faculty our great. The PTA raises a decent amount of money to fund extra programs including PE, arts, literacy and math experts and lower class room sizes.

Posted May 31, 2013
Fantastic school! It is everything that an elementary school should be... art, music, poetry, dedicated teachers and principal, etc...

Posted August 19, 2012
I intend to visit the school soon to inspect in order to compare and select the best school for my children.

Miraloma Elementary School 0

Posted May 11, 2010
The parent-teacher community is wonderful. The school itself is a bright, happy place - my spirits lift just walking in the doors. Everyone is always smiling. The principal is very accessible, he walks the halls and yards every day, and knows every child by name. It's a special place.

Miraloma Elementary School
175 Omar Way, San Francisco, CA  94127
Last modified Miraloma Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Miraloma Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 88 reviews. Top