San Francisco, CA

Posted September 04, 2013
Monroe School is a great school because the Principal is very involved with the parents needs and students. You get after school programs, which are really helpful for parents that work. My daughter is on 1st grade and she is happy with the school and the teachers. Any school is good if the parents get involved in their child education and the principal cares about the parents and student involvement. I only give 4 stars because there is construction going on right now, and it is a little noisy; however the children are safe in the school site. It is great school.

Posted August 06, 2013
My daughter has been enrolled at Monroe for two years and the experience has been mostly positive. The teachers are great and the curriculum perfect for my child. The diversity of the school is probably it greatest attribute but also one of its greatest challenges. The many cultures, languages and backgrounds make for a well rounded learning environment.

Posted August 06, 2013
Monroe is a wonderfully diverse and unique school located in the Excelsior district of San Francisco. The coveted Spanish immersion program has been a wonderful opportunity for our son, and we look forward to another adventure with our incoming kindergartner. The staff and principal are very approachable and warm.

Posted August 05, 2013
My daughters have been at Monroe for one year. I find the the teaching quality to be excellent. The community and arts programing are really amazing. The curriculum in the bilingual spanish program is really engaging. I love the school. There is massive construction going on at the school, so that will be a challenge. Overall, I've been really pleased.

Posted August 01, 2013
My daughter just finished kindergarten in the Spanish Immersion program and had an excellent experience. The teacher she had was top-notch, and it seems like all the other K teachers were great, too. She went in speaking about 10 words of Spanish and now native Spanish speakers comment on how good her Spanish is. She's also reading really well in English, thrilled with science and math, and experienced some great arts programming. We are really pleased and look forward to another great year. This school is a hidden gem, with a wonderful, warm and social justice focused community.

Posted April 11, 2013
I'm so happy that our son got into Spanish Immersion program and this school is so diverse., LOVE it! Teachers and support staffs are Amazing!

Posted March 01, 2012
My son is in third grade and we have had an fantastic experience at Monroe. Amazing teachers who keep the kids engaged, and incredible leadership by the principal, Ms Steiner. I was very surprised to see the below comment. All of the parents I know at the school love the school and are in awe of our amazing and dynamic principal, who works so hard for all of the kids.

Monroe Elementary School 1

Posted February 06, 2011
The principle and staff members favor students and label others. The principle over reacts and allows her staff and her "favorite" students to mis treat other children..............

Monroe Elementary School 0

Posted November 12, 2010
Monroe is proud of its three Academic Programs: * Spanish Two-Way Immersion Program - The Immersion Strands goals are bilingualism and bi-literacy in Spanish and English for students from different language backgrounds while achieving proficiency on state standards. * Cantonese Bilingual Program - The goal is for children from Cantonese speaking households to learn high levels of academic English for the core subjects, while maintaining and enriching their home language of Cantonese. * English Language Development Program - The ELD strand uses English as the sole language of instruction for both English native language speakers and English learners to achieve proficiency on the state adopted curriculum.

Monroe Elementary School 0

Posted November 03, 2010
Great community of staff, students and parents. My daughter's middle school teachers are impressed on how prepared she was for middle school (particularly her Spanish Immersion classes).

Monroe Elementary School
260 Madrid Street, San Francisco, CA  94112
Last modified Monroe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monroe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top