Muir (John) Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2014
My partner's 6-year-old daughter is bullied on a daily basis at John Muir and is really having a hard time despite a plethora of focused efforts on our behalf to get this insanely important issue addressed. Whenever she is bullied they simply tell the bully to apologize but take no punitive action whatsoever. They're not proactive at all. Their only interest is to triage the situation and placate parents. Of course they sound VERY concerned about our bullying concerns but nothing ever changes. We have also been unsuccessful getting our little one transferred. It's awful. Please do not send your child here.

Posted April 17, 2014
Mr. Rosenberg is the best out there. He was brought to this school from Starr King where he left alot of sad parents, and students due to his departure. He is making sure John Muir is on the right track as he did w/ Starr king. Kudos to Mr. Rosenberg

Posted September 05, 2012
Seriously, I don't know HOW they determine the ratings for a school, but John Muir is being unfairly graded. From where it was five years ago, this school has made AMAZING progress and offers an excellent multicultural experience to ALL students in attendance. This is my local neighborhood school and I've had two children move through it. Both are getting excellent grades and are achieving very good scores on their ACT And STAR testing. cheers.

Posted August 30, 2012
This is a great school! My daughter started kindergarten at John Muir 1 1/2 week ago. I could tell she really loved it, although she only stayed here for a short time. That's b/c a spot opened up at school near our home- (we live in the Sunset area). I went ahead and took the spot because it is more convenient for us and much closer to us. However, I am a little bit torn because my daughter already fell in loved with this school. Everyday she was excited to go to school here. She kept saying "I want to go to my Mr. Steve class." The only thing she didn't like was Beacon - it's the afternoon school program they have, w/c I didn't like either because 1 of the beacon staff had bad attitude, I think it takes time for some kids to get used to the after school program especially if the staff is not as friendly. From my observation, I think the teachers here are great and I think Mr. Rosenberg the principal is doing a great job managing this school w/ lots of emphasis on academic achievement. Mr. Steve is a wonderful kindergarten teacher, he is very caring, loving, and patient to the kids. I love the way he interacts w/ the kids and he is very funny too! More power to Mr. Steve and JM!

Muir (John) Elementary School 4

Posted November 27, 2010
The school is currently undergoing some changes that are for the better. There is a new principle in place. I can see the changes in my children. The school is focusing on literacy and creating an enjoyment of reading for all of its students. The classrooms are small which allows for more individual attention. I have had children in this after school program for five years now. I have taken the time to attend the parent orientations each year. Because of this I know that the program is an EXCEL program through the school district which requires the after school hours to be divided equally between homework, arts and crafts, and sports. What this means for the parent is that you will have to help your child finish their homework when you get home. This was clearly explained to me at all parent meetings. If you were looking for an after school program that would do all of your work for you, then this is not the one. The school along with the after school program has helped me and my family transition two students to middle school. I have another three students in attendance now. I expect our experience to continue to be a positive one.

Posted October 31, 2010
I have never worked with a more professional, devoted staff in my 20 year career.

Muir (John) Elementary School 1

Posted March 21, 2010
This is the worst school my child can ever attend. I cannot believe I let them finish a whole year here. The staff did not challenge my child's ability to learn. Second grade and first grade homework were exactly the same. The after school program consists of a very fancy handbook explaining the program. But there is no set schedule and the staff seems very lazy to your child's needs. When I pick up my child from the so called after school care called Beacon YMCA; the staff/adult in charge sat there texting on his mobile phone, while the kids are rowdy and no homework was complete. If i could I would give no stars!!! Do not send your child to this school.

Muir (John) Elementary School 0

Posted August 12, 2009
What do mean they 'pick and choose'? It's a lottery! True that more attentive parents tend to put down the better schools in their 7 choices, so the low-scoring schools end up with a greater share of kids whose parents weren't paying much attention. The fact is that when this school gets its scores up, or offers some kind of language immersion program, more parents will choose it. In the meantime, don't kid yourself. If the teachers were superstars more than 15% of the kids would be doing grade-level work.

Muir (John) Elementary School 2

Posted March 31, 2009
The programs are lacking & staff seem to be inexperienced. Youngest classroom especially a problem.

Posted December 04, 2007
The principal is an experienced and award-winning educator. The staff have created a supportive learning environment. The school has a jazz music program, a outstanding literacy specialist and even has actors coming to read with (not at) the students. Simply outstanding!!

Contact Information

380 Webster Street
San Francisco, CA 94117

School website

Muir (John) Elementary School
380 Webster Street, San Francisco, CA  94117
Last modified Muir (John) Elementary School is a public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Muir (John) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.