Posted July 26, 2014
Principal Washington is a great leader. She believes in innovative child-centered teaching, strives for academic excellence, but also emphasizes helping children grow emotionally, socially, and physically. She knows each child's name, and she greets them with a smile. Our teachers love kids and love teaching! The teachers are constantly striving to improve they attend professional development in the summer and share insights with peers. Our teachers are happy, and this spills over into their classroom teaching. We have an active PTA. At our spring social, parties hosted by parents are auctioned. This raises money for the school AND builds community. We have a great curriculum. In reader's/writer s workshop, all grades spend each trimester studying a different style of writing. My kindergarten daughter wrote a persuasive piece and five non-fiction books, and that's only a snippet of the writing she did. Plus she learned to read. We have two science consultants working this year to ensure each class does one hands-on science experiment each week. But what I love the most is my daughter is happy, growing, safe and welcomed each day of the school year:)

Posted May 20, 2013
Where do I begin? As J.O.E.'s Principle, Jolynn Washington possesses all the best leadership qualities one should expect from a person in her position. She's strict yet compassionate, bright but not arrogant, approachable but has boundaries. I can't say enough about her. Her passion for teaching is as apparent and and and mantra to "never give up on a child" is obvious. Teachers are experienced and dedicated. I don't know how they do it but the attention and care they have shown my child it's hard to believe there are 20+ other children in his class. Parental involvement is a huge part of this schools success as well. And if you're seeking diversity, this is one of the few public schools in San Francisco where diversity truly exists. This school doesn't cram last minute to simply achieve high test scores. They teach with the whole child in mind. There's no phony pretense here. It's a real hidden gem.

Posted March 31, 2013
this is a great school...all the staff are so nice! They are very helpful and very patience to answer all my questions.Principal ,Miss Li and Miss Chen are great!!!!!! Thank you so much for take care my daughter:)

Posted October 17, 2012
We are very grateful to placed at Jose Ortega; this is our second year and both of our kids are very happy to go to school. We transferred our older one to Jose Ortega last year and he really LOVE Jose Ortega. He asked us last school year if he can stay at Jose Ortega for the next school year. The school is very caring; the teachers are honest and it's an environment kids thrive and the teachers work on developing the whole child, not just academics -- that is our favorite part of the school -- their focus on whole child development, not just test scores. We have one child in GE and one in mandarin immersion and both programs are as impressive.

Posted October 16, 2012
I'm so proud to say my daughter is a student at Jose Ortega ES. This is our third year and our experience - and the school's test scores - keep getting better and better. There's no such thing as an "oh no" teacher assignment here. Every teacher has impressive tenure, is attentive to all students, strives to work out any learning issues, continues to grow and it glad to be here and part of the staff. The principal is energetic and caring. It's such a pleasure to be lead by someone who loves what they do every day. The school has a culture of kindness. I think that's rare. The diversity of the school is impressive - cultural, social, economic and academic all cover the entire scale. The acceptance of all these things really allows all of the children to thrive. I feel lucky that we started here while JOES was still under the radar. I think it will increasingly become a desired school. I believe there was a wait list here for the first time in both Mandarin Immersion and General Education this year.

Posted September 13, 2012
I am so thankful that my daughter is at Jose Ortega. While the parking and early morning start (7:50am), is challenging to get used to, I can't ask for more from a public school. The children wear uniforms, they have incredible teachers, low turn over, a parent committee who is devoted to raising money for special programs and to support teachers, and a garden! If you are looking for a school with a caring principal who continues to win award after award for her leadership and love of education and children, you are at the right place.

Posted September 07, 2011
Jose Ortega is a joyful school where parents truly care about their children's education. We are in the GE Kindergarten program and have been very pleased so far. Aside from stellar educational goals and caring teachers, some of the highlights of this school are gardens flourishing with fruits and vegetables, views of the ocean and a new play structure. Also, I was impressed that the principal knew my daughter's name on the first day of school.

Posted September 07, 2011
My daughter is in 1st grade at Jose Ortega and I feel like we literally won the lottery. The principal is a strong and compassionate leader, the teachers are first rate and the parents have created a nurturing community.

Posted September 06, 2011
Jose Ortega has exceeded my expectations thus far. As a new parent w/ a child in the Mandarin immersion program, we were warmly welcomed by both the teachers, administration and other parents. There is a strong community working together to raise and educate children. It's an exciting place to learn and a shining example of what a school should be!

Posted September 04, 2011
JOES is a true gem of a school! Fantastic principal leadership, knowledgeable and dedicated staff, active and involved parents, and close-knit, welcoming community. Other highlights: a thriving Mandarin immersion program, a diverse student body that feels like real San Francisco, an innovative art program, and differentiated learning that meets kids where they are (not a one-size-fits-all approach). Best of all, my child loves going to school at JOES and is flourishing there, both academically and socially. Jose Ortega is a credit to SFUSD and an example of what a great public school can be!

Ortega (Jose) Elementary School
400 Sargent Street, San Francisco, CA  94132
Last modified Ortega (Jose) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ortega (Jose) Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 37 reviews.