Parks (Rosa) Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 390 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 28, 2013

Initially skeptical about this school and San Francisco public schools in general, we now could not be more pleased with the education our grandchildren are getting. Most important is the positive attitude about the school that we see every time we come. The kids and teachers all have smiles on their faces both before and after the school day. Credit has to be given to the principal, teaching staff and the PTA for creating and fostering this culture.

Posted August 9, 2013

Our daughter will be entering 5th grade this year with her twin brothers entering 4th grade. Rosa Parks has changed completely since we entered six years ago thanks to our dedicated principal, teachers and sensei. This school not only teaches our children about their Japanese language and culture but they get first-hand experience on how diverse this city is. We also have the best group of families who want to see their children thrive in school!

Posted August 4, 2013

Rosa Parks. See the comment I wrote earlier. And submitted. I am a very happy grandmother, but not sure how this works. I was told I would have to verify my e-mail adress on submit, but I got the whole rate this school back again. I love Rosa Parks school.

Posted October 27, 2012

We enrolled out child for the Japanese language program, but discovered that there is so much more. I don't need to repeat all that others have already said about the stellar teachers, staff and principal. I completely agree. The garden program is fantastic. When we were out grocery shopping, my child wanted to buy celery and cucumbers--and actually bypassed the donuts. It is great that the school does not neglect teaching kids about nutrition. Parent involvement is probably the best in the district. Just stop by the school's popcorn stand during Cherry Blossom Festival and you will see.

Posted October 26, 2012

This is our 4th year at Rosa Parks and both our kids are totally thriving. I can't say enough about the teaching staff, Principal, and parent community -- all work together so well to support the vibrant and diverse environment in which our kids learn. My kids love going to school. They are reading voraciously, love math, and love speaking and writing Japanese (both of us parents were inspired to take Japanese language instruction by our kids' enthusiasm). They come home talking about what they learned in P.E., in dance, in the garden & nutrition program (we grow vegetables and have chickens!), and at Computer Lab. And they have great friends, whose parents have become our friends. Great people, great urban experience, great school.

Posted October 26, 2012

My daughter reported, "I love my teacher." after her first day of school. And there really hasn't been any let-down since then. I have dealt mostly with the K and 1st grade teachers; all are good with the kids and effective teaching them. Other parents assure me the teachers are just as good in the upper grades. The principal has been a strong proponent of Restorative Practices for handling conflict, and we have seen the benefits of improved discipline as a result. He also oversaw a well executed merger of the Japanese program and the General Education program into a single Rosa Parks program. In many respects it's the parent involvement that guarantees the accelerating success at the school. We noticed it when we toured the school before attending. We continue to see it with parents in the classroom, chaperoning field trips, and interacting with each other in active Facebook groups. We couldn't be more pleased.

Posted September 27, 2012

I have a 1st grader in the JBBP program. This is her second year attending this school. As a parent we have had a great experience with the school. The teachers are dedicated and caring. The principal does a great job administering the school and integrating the staff, parents and students. A lot of the parents are involved and dedicate time and resources into the school. I am very appreciative of all of the work that the PTA volunteers do for the school. The best thing of all is that the children are happy, that definitely says a lot of the school. As parents we feel very fortunate to have found this hidden gem of a school and to be part of the school community.

Posted September 24, 2012

I have a first grader, and definitely plan to have my 2nd child attend too. I speak Japanese, but my husband doesn't, so having my daughter get the strongest Japanese instruction possible is key to me. For Japanese, it's not just the everyday Japanese language hour she gets. Rosa Parks is nicely linked with Japantown as well as her wonderful after-school program, NLF, where she continues to get Japanese as well as additional options for conversation classes. I love that she is growing up with so many kids in the Rosa Parks - NLF circle. This is a special community, indeed. All this has significantly helped my daughter accept my persistance to speak Japanese to her. Before Rosa Parks, I had heard, "speak in English" from her, but now she has better context that her classmates are learning too. This is very important to me. I wasn't sure initially, but for general academic learning, I am very pleased too. Clearly, the teachers here are very committed to solid teaching. In my opinion, this is a total hidden gem that people don't notice unless they have a JP interest. The garden program too is amazing. 2 large blooming salad gardens, with chickens to boot. I am committed!

Posted May 1, 2012

We are finishing up our 3rd year at Rosa Parks & we couldn' t be happier. Here's why: Our teachers are brilliant, creative, loving, dedicated. Our principal is kind, engaged, committed to student lifelong achievement. The staff are enthusiastic & act like they love being at our school. The parent community is involved, inclusive, positive minded & ever-present. Everyone above know the kids & their names. So much diversity! All are represented. The many school & community events, parades, performances, field trips. The enrichment curriculum. So much art, music, dance, performance & creative activities. The neighborhood. We are part of Japantown and Fillmore district & the kids know it. They have a sense of place & history of San Francisco. It makes them proud of their school. Our school itself: so many trees & gardens, so many playgrounds, meeting places, big, cheerful classrooms. Our nutrition, science, geography, reading programs, library & computer lab. But most of all I love my son's experience: he is thriving & LOVES school. He is motivated, engaged, reading above grade level. Best of all, Rosa Parks makes him want to be 'his best self'. And those are his words :)

Posted April 20, 2012

This school is amazing! The teachers and the principal are committed to the students and they have a very nurturing approach. My son is in the 3rd grade and also in JBBP program and he loves it! Not only is this a great school but they also have great after school programs for the students. This school is definitely worth any parents consideration.

Posted April 14, 2012

I love our school and so does my daughter. The principal is great, the teachers are excellent and the community of parents is involved and on it. We have a great language program, a garden, and even chickens on site. I toured many school when preparing for kindergarten and this school is as good as the best. I would advise all prospective kindergarten parents to check it out for themselves. Test scores have been improving year after year; this is a school worthy of your attention and consideration.

Posted April 13, 2012

Our family moved to San Francisco from New York last year. Enrolled in Rosa Parks JBBP and the program/school has exceeded our expectations -- amazing, caring principal/teachers, active family community and spacious school facility which includes garden and chicken coop. We have participated in after school programs like Chess Club and PTA/PTCC events. Overall, we couldn't be happier as a family to have found RP/JBBP.

Posted March 16, 2012

My child is in the 1st grade and we could not think of a better fit for her. The techers are committed, well-trained, and always approachable. The prinicipal is passionate about the school and the kids, evidenced by his daily exercise routine with students in the yard every morning. The Japanese Bilingual-Bi-Cultural Program has been excellent for my daughter and she is excelling in all areas. The only thing I would change is more parent participation but then again, that's probably something that every public school could use more of.

Posted March 16, 2012

I couldn't be happier with Rosa Parks and the Japanese Bilingual Program. My child is in kdg this year and his teachers are amazing. He is happy. He learns an hour of Japanese every day and can speak, read and write. He is supported by a great staff, principal and the other parents in his class. If you are looking for a great school with language, support and diversity, come join our RP community.

Posted March 13, 2012

Our family's second year at Rosa Parks, and we have an incoming kinder next fall. We could not be happier. Paul Jacobsen is an excellent principal. He is very welcoming to parent involvment and really does care about the safety and growth of our children. Teachers are happy,supported by both administration and families. Run, don't walk to the EPC office and request Rosa Parks for your child! When I leave the playground for work each morning I feel very sure that we are in a truly great place.

Posted September 6, 2011

We couldn't be happier with Rosa Parks. The principal is great! It appears he works welll with the staff and is very motivating. He cares about the students and knows that the school plays a big role in raising the children. Test scores are improving. It's a great community. (Parent involvement is great for the Japanese Bicultural Bilingal Program. I'm not sure how it is for the General program.)

Posted March 15, 2011

As a parent of a kindergarten student at Rosa Parks, I have to say that this hidden gem of a school, tucked away in Western Addition, fosters a nice, bright and vibrant learning environment for my child. We wanted to take advantage of the districts bilingual language program and am so happy that we have. The parent base involved in Rosa Parks Japanese Bilingual Bicultural Program (JBBP) is extremely active and engaged in all aspects of the school. In the Summer of 2010 a large section of the playground was transformed into a lush urban garden that flourishes and nourishes our children. (science and nutrition) A grant was secured to bring Grammy nominated jazz musician Anthony Brown into the classrooms to help expose curious minds to a world of music they normally don't have access to. The SF Symphony and the SF Ballet are heavily involved with special programming for the students. JBBP program has attracted students from all over the city and this diversity makes Rosa Parks Elem. a must see school for many incoming families. But above all else, the faculty, students and families that make up this community are committed to fostering a strong community school environment.

Posted November 13, 2010

Improving through great strong leadership . School principal are very devoted to his work ,true leader , cares about his staff members, students, parent s, friends. The safety of the students are very appreciated. All the efforts, dedication are very priceless. JBBP cultural activities are awesome. Rosa Parks/ JBBP are TRULY the C>H>A>M>P>S <3

Posted May 21, 2010

I love the cultural events and the diversity.

Posted May 21, 2010

Native Japanese speaking Senseis providing Japanese language instruction, Active involvement in local community, Active parent involvement, Proximity to J-Town, Diversity of student population, Bussing to Japanese Afterschool Programs.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students63%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 65%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments

Arts & music

Music
  • Jazz band

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Paul David Jacobsen
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 749-3610

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • MUNI

Rosa Parks Elementary School ExCEL Afterschool Program (after school program)

About the program
  • The Afterschool Learning Program serves kids in grades K-2. The program emphasizes and promotes math and literacy building through homework help and tutorials. Enrichment activities include sports, art, and other group activities.SFUSD ExCEL after school programs ensure involvement of teachers from students' schools to make sure that after school academics are aligned with the school day curriculum. Every school with an ExCEL program partners with a nonprofit community based organization to run activities and build bridges to the neighborhood.
Operated by
  • Thursday
  • Friday
End time
  • 5:40 pm
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 1-2
Is there a fee for the program?
Website

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Presidio Middle School