Sherman Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 428 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 2, 2012

I am so thankful that my children are at Sherman. They have had excellent teachers that teach to them at their individual level. They also LOVE the enrichment programs such as art, library, garden, PE, computers, etc... Its a very positive and happy environment and my kids mostly look forward to going to school and doing well academically. I'm surprised by negative reviews, but I guess its because no school is perfect (particularly public schools) and each experience is individual.

Posted February 29, 2012

The young and inexperienced principal certainly has brought the school down. She has an unbelievable dictatorial nature. She often violates the SFUSD's guidelines and no one seems able to curb her. Maybe someone in the administration will wake up and see that her abuses are hurting the school and certainly irritating a large number of parents/taxpayers. I pity the teachers who have to work under her rule. Great that she is a Harvard grad but it was NOT in education. On a positive note the garden is awesome, a number of teachers are superior although many are quite young, the facilities are quite adequate; AND one of the greatest strengths is the parents who actively contribute their time and money to the school. There seems to be a great tradition of parent involvement that has carried through over the years.

Posted October 20, 2011

I like this is school. It is the one of the best of best. My two children are in this is school. And Everything is the best. Keep it up! I love Sherman Shark!!!

Posted September 24, 2011

The entire Sherman community collaborates to ensure my son has a positive education. I respect the principal, the librarian, the speech teacher, the art teacher, the garden teacher, the fellow parents and the amazing PTA. I feel fortunate that my son can enjoy this lovely school. There is an expectation for parents to contribute time, talent and/or money, but I think this is a positive approach to counter he recession. Sherman Elementary PTA raises funds to support many "extras" and I think all families should do what they can.

Posted August 31, 2011

My son is starting his third year at Sherman (now is second grade) and has continued to thrive here. So far, we've been very happy with each of his teachers and have felt embraced by and have become a part of the community. I attended California public schools years ago during their pre-prop 13 heyday and can honestly say that none of the schools I attended had as much going for them as Sherman. I love the green schoolyard, the library, music and arts enrichment, and friendly and involvement group of parents. The principal is a rock star. My son cherishes his friends here and is thriving socially and academically. I feel so lucky that he's part of this community.

Posted August 29, 2011

It was Open House at Sherman this late afternoon. I was shocked to see the class schedule that was posted on the whiteboard. My son spends most of the instructional day on reading and language arts. The remaining minutes are relegated to "enrichment" programs. Do the teachers teach at this school? When I asked when Science or Social Studies are taught, the teacher just smiled and said, "That's how we do things at Sherman." As it is, my son is not getting any reading instruction. He's not getting proper Science and Social Studies education. There's really no point to being here.

Posted August 8, 2011

I am quite surprised with most of the reviews here. I thought I was the only parent who is unhappy with Sherman. Glad my negative sentiments are shared by others. Let's just see if there will be visible improvements in their academic programs. With the economy that we're in, expect more zealous and aggressive letters for donations 2x to 3x a week. The principal is really good at this. Her motto of "be a friend" is one of her pet projects.

Posted August 7, 2011

Sherman ES is a high quality school. Its strong academic program, nurturing environment and excellent teaching has more than prepared our kids to be successful in middle school. The teachers are the best and the school provided our kids with a solid curriculum and a variety of experiences that has made them well-rounded. We would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted July 24, 2011

Sherman ES with the poor leadership of the current school principal lacks challenging academic programs. Efforts are mostly geared at raising funds and donations. I am now beginning to think that ratings are based on the collections. Where does the money go? Kids are not learning, there's no tangible projects going on except for the garden which is not really that impressive. It's all hype about the school as well as the principal...

Posted July 21, 2011

Unfortunately, most of the negative reviews are accurate. The staff works hard to educate our kids, however a few do get away with low standards and expectations for the students, and I can only think that they are the administrator's favorites. My daughters are ill-prepared for this fall, and I'm absolutely appalled by the lack of instruction they received just this past year. The first grade teacher has her monotonous routines and lessons were hardly lessons, just busy work. My daughter goes home telling me her teacher told her to say certain things to us so we could think she was happy learning at school. Then there's my fourth grader who barely had any homework. Her teacher lectured behavioral kids in class on a daily basis, taking away learning and instructional time. She sat in her chair while having student teachers run lessons all year long. She has probably less than 10 years of experience. Seriously, this principal has got to go. The mood is unwelcoming with her presence. The Asian community is nonexistence as she pretends that there are parents and grandparents around to provide Chinese translations during the morning intake. Beware prospective families!

Posted July 18, 2011

I was fooled by this school. My daughter's 1st grade teacher wasn't challenging even though she got all the best students from the previous year. She said she covered the 1st grade standards, but I know she didn't. A lot of busy work instead of homework. As a result, my daughter was ill prepared for 2nd grade. The administrator loves this teacher and that is why she is able to do the things that she does. I don't even want to write about the principal. My daughter is now attending a private school getting a real education.

Posted April 20, 2011

This school has great teachers, but a horrible leader. The leader has been known and seen to yell at teachers, staff, parents AND children. She has no respect for anyone she considers beneath her (e.g. low income, uneducated). The school would be better off with a better leader who actually knows how to run a school instead of a tyrant who doesn't know how to compromise and whose policy is her way or no way. Don't let the beautiful setting fool you.

Posted March 11, 2011

I am pleased with the school, except for the academic focus on reading. My child used to love to go to school, but recently has been forced to read only books at "her level" and not allowed to do other activities. She comes home and complains that "all we do is read," which is wonderful, but there comes a time when kids should also enjoy learning by other means. I noticed the staff is tired, and the creativeness and uniqueness of each teacher is slowly disappearing because each classroom now is looking all the same. I worry that my child is no longer being stimulated and excited to learn anymore. She wishes to learn about science instead of reading about it. She tells me all we do is "read" and we don't do science, we just read about it. She no longer gets to do any science exploration and discovery. The teachers have been wonderful, but I hope that she will be prepared for middle school. Also, the stress on testing is my concern too. It seems that the school is primarily to teach to the test.....perhaps that is why the test scores went up so drastically??? Now, I feel I have to make sure I teach the other subject areas to make sure she is well-rounded.

Posted May 14, 2010

I am thankful every weekday that my son attends such a wonderful school. After touring many schools in the district (and being pleasantly surprised about the number of good schools there are), we listed Sherman as the first choice for our future kindergartener. Fortunately, we got it in the first round. Simply, Sherman has all the resources: amazing enrichment opportunities--arts, music, P.E., its crown jewel garden, active and activist parents who support the school financially, a full-time librarian, a full-time computer teacher, and a warm and loving environment. The principal (Sara Shenkan-Rich) is a bright and dedicated optimist. Her energy was one of the many reasons we chose the school. My kindergartener is thriving here!

Posted May 3, 2010

Great nurturing school with a good atmosphere and lovely campus.

Posted May 2, 2010

Sherman is wonderful in many ways. Top of mind I would say: wonderful kids, great teachers, involved parents, an inspiring principal and a great space, particularly with the Green Schoolyard.

Posted May 1, 2010

Enrichment programs like Art, Music, Movement. A great Edible Schoolyard through which kids are introduced to biology, nutrition, environment. Committed parents that work on school issues. Sherman School should be held up as an exemplar!

Posted April 30, 2010

Sherman was an awesome school up until the new principal came along. The new principal is bringing this school down...the discipline in the school is lacking (not so the case with Ms. Matsuno, the previous principal), the scores went down (the new principal had no explanation why that happened under her leadership). She is rude, has no respect for either the teachers or the parents. She seems to have the wrong priorities...The kids don't like her...and neither do most parents. A lot of hard work went into making Sherman a top school in the city...it would be a shame to let the new principal drag it down. The school has awesome teachers and great set of parents...but the principal needs to go for the school to get back on track.

Posted April 29, 2010

Teachers, administrators and parents work together to make Sherman the best public school in San Francisco city. Go check out the happy faces!

Posted April 29, 2010

Why do I love Sherman? Fabulous teachers and staff, lovely building, interesting and enriching education, and a terrific mix of people. No school is perfect, but Sherman comes close. Almost every day I pick my daughter up I think, 'I love this place.' That's pretty remarkable.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students88%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Reading specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Staff resources available to students
  • Math specialist(s)

Arts & music

Visual arts
  • Drawing / sketching

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Sara Shenkan-Rich
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 749-3433

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

• Math specialist(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
Transportation options
  • Muni

Sherman Elementary School GLO Afterschool Program (after school program)

About the program
  • GLO provides quality before-school and afterschool programming.
Operated by
  • Thursday
  • Friday
End time
  • 6:00 pm
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 1-5
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
Website

Summer program 1

About the program
  • Each program has an academic, enrichment and physical activity component. The programs are based on a youth development model and include project based learning activities. The summer programs are operated by community based organizations that are contracted by SFUSD to provide the services based on grants to the school from California Department of Education. Each organization has a site specific enrollment process. Priority enrollment goes to the students from the school site. Students from other SFUSD schools are eligible to apply though in many of the elementary schools there is more demand than available slots. Funding changes year to year and program offerings change.
Types of activities
  • Thursday
  • Friday

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Marina Middle School