Posted May 01, 2014
I don't have any word to describe how wonderful is this school both my daughter and my son are in this school and I love this school and it is the best school in the city. Very strong PTA and all the parents are involved and the school and supporting the school, the teachers, and the students .... I love Sherman Shark........

Sherman Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
Sherman, My grandson attends first grade at sherman. We are very pleased and the homework is appropriate for the age a7 grade..... He's progressing nicely and likes school.

Posted March 03, 2014
Sherman is a wonderful school. Our daughter started kindergarten their this year (2013) with one of the new teachers. She is great! I don't know why previous reviews complain about the principal. She is young, energetic, and very visible in the school. Please don't let the bad reviews turn you off to Sherman. Our experience has been great. Sherman was our first choice and we feel very lucky to have won the SFUSD lottery!

Posted February 23, 2014
Sherman is AWESOME! My child is learning so much! I am not sure why anyone would bash our Principal. She is always at every morning assembly and there for parents and kids in the hall. She knows every child. The kids love her. She is not a paper pusher who hides in her office like so many other heads of school. She takes education and preparing our kids for their future seriously. Because she is around she sees how kids act and if she added some personal comments to the parent below in a conference and they were different from what was relayed by the teacher then maybe they were her own observations. Has she no right to speak about what she as a Principal sees? Maybe the parent who wrote all the malarky does not want to face that they need to get their child in line. Instead they knock the Principal and try to hurt the reputation of a school that has an API of 931! This is public school and if these parents can not get their kids to behave here, where people are more accommodating different behavior issues, then they will not last a New York minute in the private school admission process where kids are put under a microscope. Get your kid in line and stop blaming the Principal.

Posted December 18, 2013
We are super happy at Sherman. My child is thriving and has made many important friendships. The teachers are caring and work to make a meaningful connection with their students. The principal is really focused on what counts and her wisdom to bring in the Columbia University Reader & Writer Workshop Program (used at many of the most respected schools across the country) has changed our student outcomes for the better. If you are looking for a strong academic school with an assortment of enrichment activities, Sherman is your school. My only complaint would be the slightly whiny parents. Many of them think, because they are so involved, they know what it takes to run one of the most successful K-5 public schools in SFUSD, and guess what, they don't. Leave the school direction to accomplished teachers, staff and Principal!

Posted October 28, 2013
Part 2: If needed, I will talk to someone in the school district to have Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich re-evaluated for her role of job. Being in the educational field, a principle has to be well educated, professional with his/her job, and also must has moral standards and humanity personality. I don t see any of these in Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich or even showing any respect to herself and others. In a couple of meetings with her and the classroom teachers and other staff, she was yawning without covering her mouth, raising her head up at a corner in an opposite direction while others are presenting. This behavior is so disrespectful. She provided conflict info about my kid from the classroom teacher. They went back and forth a couple of times and the teacher had to give up as she started showing her discomfort and raising her voice. Currently, I reached out to some staff in school to verify some info that the principle told us about our kid in the meeting. I discovered that she made up quite a bit of stories about my kid which is totally unacceptable. Over all, Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich does NOT QUALIFY for her role as a principle at all. She s completely ignorance.

Posted October 28, 2013
Part 1: I agree with some parents here. The teachers from this school seem to be fine. However, the principle, Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich, is NOT professional in her job or line of responsibilities in educational field. Lucky, she is NOT a teacher. Otherwise, I am NOT going to let my child in her class. I totally AGREE with one of the parent here about the principle that, Her leadership style is dictatorial, manipulative, deflective and judgmental. Her lacks of ability to work effectively with her teaching staff causing a lot of conflicts in school. This year, I noticed that a lot old teachers have moved to another school. In addition, I also agree that the principle has very little knowledge in dealing with people/kids who are in different ethnic groups. She is not sensitive and understand the needs of the kids. I noticed that the school also has special ed class. I am not so sure how she handles special kid since she is NOT capable in handling any kids at all. I feel very sorry for those kids and their parents. I don t think Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich actually has any tolerance for these kids at all. ~~ Please look for part 2 to my comment. Thank you~~

Posted October 11, 2013
This school lacks leadership. The principal lacks the ability to work effectively with her teaching staff. As a result, nearly 50% of the teachers left the school this year. She does not collaborate with the teachers or the parents. Her leadership style is dictatorial, manipulative, deflective and judgmental. Her motivation is test scores, but at the cost of the childrens' dignity. Pick a different school where the leader LEADS.

Posted September 30, 2013
My son loves Sherman. His teachers have been top-notch and he really loves going to school. The after school problem is also excellent and we often find ourselves having to drag him away at the end of the day because he is having so much fun. We were weighing private school vs. public, but are really glad he ended up at Sherman.

Posted July 14, 2013
The School is really great! For one the Library is fantastic and under great management!

Sherman Elementary School
1651 Union Street, San Francisco, CA  94123
Last modified Sherman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sherman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 97 reviews.