Bad
Good

My daughter was a transferee ,all of her teachers in grade 4/5 took care of her well..I will never forget this school! ( 2013-14)

Love, love LOVE this school. My son is totally thriving. He won't stop reading and comes home every day to tell me about all the cool things he's learning. The parent involvement in AWESOME and the school is at the vanguard of balanced literacy and inclusion. Thumbs up!

We feel so lucky to be at Sherman. The teachers are extremely good, the PTA involved and hard-working, and the Principal motivated and driven to make it a place where "all kids succeed". Academics (differentiation, literacy and math coaches), and Professional Development (Teachers College) are a priority but so is a being a supportive community where all kids are SHARKS (safe, helpful, accountable, respectful, and kind). Kids write each other "put-ups" and learn to find the good in others---so sweet. Reading the negative reviews about the principal makes me realize how being a good leader means you can't please everybody. Sherman is lucky to have her!

Surprised that more people aren't revolting against this principal. It's hard to see good teachers, year after year, being driven away by a bad administrator.

I don't have any word to describe how wonderful is this school both my daughter and my son are in this school and I love this school and it is the best school in the city. Very strong PTA and all the parents are involved and the school and supporting the school, the teachers, and the students .... I love Sherman Shark........

Sherman, My grandson attends first grade at sherman. We are very pleased and the homework is appropriate for the age a7 grade..... He's progressing nicely and likes school.

Sherman is a wonderful school. Our daughter started kindergarten their this year (2013) with one of the new teachers. She is great! I don't know why previous reviews complain about the principal. She is young, energetic, and very visible in the school. Please don't let the bad reviews turn you off to Sherman. Our experience has been great. Sherman was our first choice and we feel very lucky to have won the SFUSD lottery!

Sherman is AWESOME! My child is learning so much! I am not sure why anyone would bash our Principal. She is always at every morning assembly and there for parents and kids in the hall. She knows every child. The kids love her. She is not a paper pusher who hides in her office like so many other heads of school. She takes education and preparing our kids for their future seriously. Because she is around she sees how kids act and if she added some personal comments to the parent below in a conference and they were different from what was relayed by the teacher then maybe they were her own observations. Has she no right to speak about what she as a Principal sees? Maybe the parent who wrote all the malarky does not want to face that they need to get their child in line. Instead they knock the Principal and try to hurt the reputation of a school that has an API of 931! This is public school and if these parents can not get their kids to behave here, where people are more accommodating different behavior issues, then they will not last a New York minute in the private school admission process where kids are put under a microscope. Get your kid in line and stop blaming the Principal.

We are super happy at Sherman. My child is thriving and has made many important friendships. The teachers are caring and work to make a meaningful connection with their students. The principal is really focused on what counts and her wisdom to bring in the Columbia University Reader & Writer Workshop Program (used at many of the most respected schools across the country) has changed our student outcomes for the better. If you are looking for a strong academic school with an assortment of enrichment activities, Sherman is your school. My only complaint would be the slightly whiny parents. Many of them think, because they are so involved, they know what it takes to run one of the most successful K-5 public schools in SFUSD, and guess what, they don't. Leave the school direction to accomplished teachers, staff and Principal!

Part 2: If needed, I will talk to someone in the school district to have Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich re-evaluated for her role of job. Being in the educational field, a principle has to be well educated, professional with his/her job, and also must has moral standards and humanity personality. I don t see any of these in Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich or even showing any respect to herself and others. In a couple of meetings with her and the classroom teachers and other staff, she was yawning without covering her mouth, raising her head up at a corner in an opposite direction while others are presenting. This behavior is so disrespectful. She provided conflict info about my kid from the classroom teacher. They went back and forth a couple of times and the teacher had to give up as she started showing her discomfort and raising her voice. Currently, I reached out to some staff in school to verify some info that the principle told us about our kid in the meeting. I discovered that she made up quite a bit of stories about my kid which is totally unacceptable. Over all, Ms. Sara Shenkan-Rich does NOT QUALIFY for her role as a principle at all. She s completely ignorance.

Last modified Sherman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.