Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

King (Starr) Elementary School 2

Posted December 07, 2015
Unless your Kid is in the Mandarin Immersion program, this school is a joke. I had both my kids here while Mr. Rosenberg, and Mr. John were the principals.. things were great, then. Since, it got pretty sad ... If your child is GENERAL ED they get the short end of the stick. They seem to gear all the programs and activities to the children in the mandarin immersion program. my child was coming home with no homework, spoke to the principal more than 2x and nothing was done. her efforts are with MI kids, who happen to be white and Chinese. And the proof is in all these reviews of parents raving of how great the MI program is for their kids, and how happy they are. how they hire these great teachers for the MI kids.... My son has had subs come in and out for the past 2 years.....

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 25, 2015
I think the amount of homework (in the Mandarin Immersion program) is a lot. I don't think it's too much, given how much the program strives to impart.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 25, 2015
The school has a dedicated program that teaches such principles and reinforces them constantly. I've heard of several instances where a teacher has stopped class to seize a learning moment to impart these and other behavorial and ethical principles.

Posted August 26, 2015
The upgraded facility is among one of the best in the city. This school year we see many young and energetic new teachers are hired. It has been a historical problem in San Francisco's Chinese immersion program: people who are highly proficient in Chinese are not qualified to teach in the States because of their limited English proficiency; people who can obtain a California teaching credential are hardly ever a Chinese language expert. However, this year, Starr King has made a big step forward by successfully hiring some credentialed teachers who are also native speakers of Chinese, especially a 3rd grade teacher who majored in Chinese and received her Chinese teaching training in China! This teacher brings in so much innovative approach that we've never seen in Mandarin teaching in America, and this teacher's English teaching skill is surprisingly good and amazing! I really want to thank principal Cheong for hiring such an excellent bilingual biliterate teacher. Now I am confident that our child will be getting solid Mandarin immersion education at Starr King!

Posted April 06, 2015
Our child is in the Mandarin Immersion program and loves it there. She loves the teachers and has made good friends as well. She has been steadily learning more and more Chinese and it has just about surpassed my own knowledge! There is a very active PTA. The location isn't a draw, but we have never experienced any problems. Child #2 is starting kindergarten next year, so that's the biggest sign of our happiness with Starr King.

Posted April 06, 2015
We have been a Starr King family for two years. My son is a 1st grader in the MI program. So far, it's been a great experience for our family. He's had great teachers and is really engaged, and our whole family is part of a warm, connected, supportive parent community. I'm also a big fan of principal Wendy Cheong, who joined the school at the same time we did. She is a strong leader who emphasizes teacher training and retention.

Posted February 18, 2015
We have two daughters enrolled in Starr King and we are pleased with the level of education they are receiving. We also like the community and the new Principal. We are in the Mandarin Immersion program.

Posted February 15, 2015
Our kindergarten class just listed several more field trips this year--in addition to a great program at Davies Symphony Hall, the classes just went to Chinatown, and will also add Crissy Field, the Academy of Science and Citibank to their trip list in the second half of the school yr. A volunteer task force is putting together a plan to improve classroom technology for the classes... So still a thumbs up for SK If you are debating between Cantonese and Mandarin Immersion, you'll want to know that Mandarin is far more dominant.

Posted August 18, 2014
Starr King is a great school getting even better, in my view. My daughter is in the 2nd grade there, in the Mandarin program. The school has a principal who is wonderful -- dedicated, very able, and with respect to the Mandarin curriculum in particular is working for continuous improvements. My daughter is entering her third year at the school and so far has had tremendous teachers -- conscientious, thoughtful, really skilled, caring. The parents community is really dedicated too. Some people wish that Mandarin progress would happen more quickly, but to me it's just about perfect. Studies show progress in Mandarin happens more slowly than with other languages, it has been proven in research across cultures. Finally, I've had nothing but good experiences with the school's administrative staff. In the coming year, the facilities' upgrade will be complete. I am entirely happy that I chose Starr King for my daughter. I would do so again.

Posted June 26, 2014
We never thought that Starr King would be a good choice when we picked school for our little girl. It turned us down at the beginning just because it was next to the biggest low-income housing project in the city. Our daughter was placed in one of the schools in Chinatown. We decided to transfer our kid to Starr King after we heard from a trusted friend whose daughter is going there. After one year, we affirmed that it was the right decision. Best I can say: involved parents, passionate teachers, dedicated principal and nice staff. As my daughter said, even the lunch lady was nicer; the custodian lady was a friendly boss in the cafeteria. I always believed that Chinese classes should only be prepared for kids from Chinese families until I saw all those wonderful non-Chinese Kinders spoke so fluent in the Kindergarten graduation. Good job Kinder teachers!

1215 Carolina Street, San Francisco, CA  94107-3322
Last modified King (Starr) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
King (Starr) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top