Posted September 10, 2013
We were wait-listed for 2 years and finally got in this year, and couldn't be happier. The PTA and teachers were so inviting and warm. My daughter has adjusted to the new school quickly with the great staff and parents.

Posted September 08, 2013
My child is in second grade and we could not love this school more! The community is amazing--both in terms of raising funds for all sorts of extras (we have art, music, dance, gardening, technology, PE,a great library) but also in terms of making the school feel inclusive and vibrant. And the teachers are great--creative, energetic, caring. Everything about this culture of Sunset is wonderful. And the campus is one of the nicer ones I've seen in the city. We feel lucky to be here.

Posted May 04, 2013
I'll ditto what everyone has posted - my oldest is a 2nd grader and i have another boy who'll start kindergarten in three years and i love, love this school. principal lee was the deciding factor in choosing this school as my first choice and i am super duper glad we got our first choice. from the strong pta to having our own parking lot (yes, a big plus in san francisco), and everything in between, we are very lucky and blessed to be part of sunset elementary. go sunset stars!

Posted December 30, 2011
Sunset is a terrific school -- one of it's biggest strengths is it's sense of community. Add that to great academics and a lovely campus and you really can't lose!

Posted August 26, 2011
Our son has recently started Kindergarten, and we are thrilled. Sunset has been nicely renovated, has ocean views, a green schoolyard project underway, and will likely feed students into AP Giannini Middle...which is next to the school. A new public library and playground are being built adjacent to the school. Very safe, increasingly diverse, excellent test scores, great extracurriculars, fantastic principal, engaged teachers, and an active PTA. So many great schools in the Sunset District...if you are planning on moving out of the city for schools...stay in SF and check out the Sunset.

Posted May 11, 2010
I cannot not say enough good things about our school, Sunset Elementary. Our family is thriving here. We have a remarkable and committed Principal combined with an innovative and energized PTA in a lovely site. I especially appreciate the way the PTA makes efforts to make sure that all members of the community are invited and included in activities.

Posted February 15, 2010
My son attended this wonderful school for six years. He is autistic and was placed in the school inclusion program. I am so grateful for all the support from the dedicated teachers, paras, school principal, and the whole Sunset community. You made my son's life so much easier. I would not trade Sunset to any other school.

Posted January 23, 2010
You will not find a more inclusive, fun, vibrant, creative, diverse and dedicated school community in SF. We have PTA sponsored movie nights, garden work days, a Spring time Carnival, enrichment classes right after school, and caring teachers who deliver day in and day out. Ms. Lee, the principal, wears many hats, but has the magic touch in building a learning community where parents are active partners. The campus has undergone an ADA retrofit and is in the midst of a Greening Schoolyard Project. The PTA has stepped up Big Time in the last 4 years. My kids love this place!

Posted April 01, 2009

Posted March 25, 2009
I didn't expect how fantastic this school was. Sunset Elementary is definitely a school with mission and passion. The principal, Ms Sophie Lee, is awesome. She understands the students and the parents and strives the school to become a second home for the students. Teachers are welcoming and teach with a heart. The program is rigorus yet creative therefore the students have fun while learning. Impressive PTA and parent involvement. When you go to the office, you always see parent volunteers there helping cheerfully. I can't expect a better school than Sunset Elementary School. Thank you!

Sunset Elementary School
1920 41st Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94116
Last modified Sunset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunset Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.