Posted October 21, 2013
This little school tucked in the Richmond District is a hidden gem!!! The teachers are passionate in teaching and instilling good values into our children. Mr. Poon the principal is involve in the "trenches" in educating the students. It seems Mr. Poon knows all the students!! He welcomes parent input without getting defensive like some other principals. I am HAPPY that my son attends Sutro b/c I feel that his teachers are looking out for his best interests besides educational but to be a better human being. Also my job too!!! Originally Sutro wasn't my first choice for my son but it turned out for the best b/c I LOVE SUTRO!!!

Posted September 25, 2013
i love that the school is small and all of the teachers and staff are interested in seein each individual child become successful.

Posted September 23, 2013
Sutro is a wonderful school. My son has had great teachers for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade, and currently really likes his 3rd grade teacher. The staff is very dedicated and Mr. Poon, the principal, is wonderful. Mr. Poon is very hands-on (will grab a broom to help clean -up a mess) and almost always makes time for parents, even in the middle of the day (no need to make appointments, which I experienced at another school). There have been improvements to the school over the years to: wifi to all the classrooms, new exterior paint, new floors and lighting in the classrooms, a water bottle filling station and a new amphitheater in the Upper Yard. The PTA and parent community work hard to create events that include all the diverse family cultures at the school. And, I think that over the past couple years that communications has improved. And, I think that Sutro test scores are among the top in San Francisco. It is a great school for parents who want kids to have a very personable elementary school experience.

Posted September 23, 2013
Sutro wasn't our first choice when applying to SF schools but we have been so happy we landed here. The school is fairly small so it is easy to get to know everyone from the Principal to the 5th grade teacher your child will eventually get. All of the teachers are dedicated and committed to their student and the families. The school just went through some great retro-fits including classroom lighting and flooring upgrades and a new garden center. Our family is grateful to be part of the Sutro community.

Sutro Elementary School 4

Posted May 11, 2012
Sutro is a great little school. Teachers are very caring and devoted to help the kids. Principal involves in a lot of activities and he always makes himself available to talk to the parents. The only drawback is the PTA, the PTA does not show any leadership, makes no effort to bridge the English and non-English speaking groups. Even some parents offer help, they are just being ignored. At least I know some parents pull their kids out because of the zero support and help from the PTA. It's kind of disappointing - school is good and I have seen many parents willing to support and help out but nobody in PTA is making effort to make the community a family.

Sutro Elementary School 0

Posted April 30, 2010
This is such a great little school that has done so much to help my child succeed.

Posted April 16, 2010
Sutro is a great school. Its have a great team of dedicated,devoted and loving staffs and teachers. They put in 101 percent of their time in to their students. Parents and community including teachers participate in lots of environmental awareness and instill the importance of environment to the earth. Great enrichment and academic programs that benefits our kids. Sutro is the best!!!!!

Posted January 19, 2010

Sutro Elementary School 3

Posted December 08, 2009
We really wanted to love Sutro. But we were really put off by the sense of general disorganization and what we found to be a stifling, unpleasant kindergarten environment. The school has a hard time building bridges between the Cantonese and English speaking communities and as a result the PTA doesn't get as much done as it could. This school has a lot of potential but I cannot recommend it as it is today.

Posted October 20, 2009

Sutro Elementary School
235 12th Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94118
Last modified Sutro Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sutro Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 32 reviews.