San Francisco, CA

Posted August 28, 2015
When I called the school, the female secretary answered phone seemed to be rude and wanted to rushed me off the phone. I just felt the negative energy right away. Later, I heard from many parents told me that the principal was one of the meanest person in this school. Perhaps the support staff and some teachers were fed up by Carol Fong, so they exert the anger towards the parents. I remembered once I walked by the front office and heard Carol Fong was scolding at an Asian little girl at top of lung. I was thinking "Was that necessary?" How unprofessional! Anyway, it seems the SFUSD leadership had turned a blind eye on the complaint from parents against the principal. She ruins what would be a greater school. As a leader, she needs to have empathy and be a role model, i.e., treat people like people, instead of demeaning them. Because of Carol Fong, the negative energy flows around that school. I am surprised she is still the principal till this day.

Ulloa Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 27, 2015
When I called the school, the secretary acted rude and seemed to want to hang up right away. Her tone of voice was cold and impatient because someone even called this public number to bother her. This reminds me that I have heard lots of parents said that the principal of this school is one of the meanest, unprofessional person among elementary school principals. Perhaps they had been fed up from the abuse by her and wanted to exert the anger towards the parents. I once walked by the front office and saw the principal yelled at top of her lung at a skinny Asian little girl there. As I have noticed, 2 teachers concurred with most reviewers that the principal is a very negative figure in this school that makes the whole atmosphere suffocating. The SFUSD upper administration must have turned blind eyes on her complaints from lots of parents and some teachers. She ruins the potential great school. How unfortunate! I am surprised she is still the principal there till now!!!

Posted June 04, 2015
As a parent and a child advocate, I have never in my life seen such horrendous treatment by a principal to her staff. You have dedicated teachers collaborating in secret to assure the success of students. Completely unprofessional with regards to privacy, she offers zero support to professional development and is more concerned with her own ego than the success of either her teachers or the happiness of the students. Furthermore, having no compassion or empathy for others is an incredibly poor example that effects everyone. Culturally ignorant, disrespectful to any differences, and with decision-making in a vacuum of self-interest, Carol Fong feeds the environment with fear and retribution, which is unhealthy to the entire faculty and staff. One can rule with an iron fist and not be cruel, but Carol Fong cannot. Whatever her mission is, it definitely is not about creating a positive learning environment for the success of students. Why she is still in such a position of power is a detriment to all who come in contact with her: Parents, students, teachers and staff. Everyone suffers because of her. So unless you can avert your gaze and be subservient to the demands of a tyrant, avoid this school both as a teacher and as a parent. The worst part is, if she is even reading any review of herself, she is likely gleeful that she has such a miserable reputation and firm in her belief that there is nothing anyone will actually do about it!

Posted April 11, 2015
The teachers and students here make up an amazing community. I regret to say that the principal has no place running a school. She acts as a tyrant and constantly disrespects and harasses the teachers here. The school's success-like others have noted-is due to the teachers and student population alone. This school could really blossom and achieve greater success in all areas (not just rigid test scores) with a leader who demonstrated competency in interpersonal skills. I would not send my child to this school due to the lack of diversity and appreciation for differences, high stress and discomfort of teachers who are faced with incredibly uncomfortable and unprofessional treatment (which in turn affects the children), and a misguided interpretation of what a quality education should include.

Ulloa Elementary School 5

Posted November 08, 2014
Having had two children accepted at Ulloa was the BEST choice I have made so far in this crazy SFUSD system. If a parent wants a touchy feely adminstrator, then by all means ask for a transfer, and GET OUT if you really think you child is at RISK! I would not hesitate to remove my child from a BAD enviroment. My kids had great educators, they did not really see or spend time with the principal. However, Principal Fong knew their names. As for asking for more money, Thank your lucky stars your not at most of the other schools, they have asked for $500. or more for years. So, if your biggest complaint is about the principal that has raised the bar at this school with mulitple educational needs over the last 15 years, then obviously, your ranting is not about your child's education.

Posted June 16, 2014
I agreed that the Principle is the worst. She yelled everyone everywhere in the school.

Ulloa Elementary School 3

Posted December 17, 2013
Ulloa elementary has some great teachers. I do agree that the principal needs to be more compassionate with the teachers and parents. If a student do not fall into a behavior which is acceptable then the parents are scolded as if they were bad parents instead of the school finding a way to work with them. And I have heard the same complaints often when the principal does not even know the entire story or listen to the teachers who know more about the personality and behavior of the child. The parents work with the child at home but the school should be working with e child when they are in school when this is their job and what these professionals educate themselves for this type of career! Being a principal should be the leader into providing a compassionate environment and caring for kids instead of having the parents feel like it is their job and the school does not work with the child or parents for a nurturing and caring experience. This school has some very good teachers but the principal can be a better leader! Everything starts from the top and she is lucky that it has not trickled down to having bad teachers so far! I hope she does think about why she wanted this career!

Posted August 02, 2013
gOOD TEACHERS BUT - Uncaring principal. Never a smile from her staff. Unfriendly office. Intimidating atmosphere. Scolded for absence even when reason was death or illness in the family. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL.

Posted July 10, 2013
Many of the teachers at this school are really great, but the principal, Carol Fong, is truly evil. She was the most horrible person I have ever worked for. She yells at her staff, children and parents alike. She will not treat you with respect unless you keep your eyes down and never challenge her in any way. She ruins what could be a great school. Everyone feels her negativity and her disrespect for her staff adversely affects their ability to teach. Working at this school was the worst experience of my life.

Posted May 27, 2013
The reason I gave just 1 star because I got very disappointed having one year experience. Dear parents, if you pick Ulloa because of the high score, then you may not care of how your kids being in school. The first visit in Ulloa, I saw two little kids was crying and standing in the main office and no one talk to them. I guess they probably had trouble so the school punished them. The Principle was so mean, the teachers never can tell how your child doing in school, When my son sick, what they calling for just a doctor paper, not care of my child condition. The Ulloa teacher almost always give you perfect review of your child, so parents feel proud of their child being. The fact is that the teacher doesn't care how is your child doing. Teachers work there just for money. Think of who wants to work with so mean principle? Dear parents, finding a right school for your child is not easy, I believed the most important thing you would care is providing a health school life for your child, a school respects your child, care of your child and love your child. For my experience, I very regret the first year in Ulloa. my child will be in other school soon.

Ulloa Elementary School
2650 42nd Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94116
Last modified Ulloa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ulloa Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top