No rating

Holy Name Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 348 students

We offer a strong spiritual foundation and a solid academic education.

Living in San Francisco

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $675,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Sweep tile

Posted December 11, 2013

I feel so blessed to have my child at HNS! The academics are top notch and they have really worked hard to make the school current with a brand new science room, computer room and library. The students are more than ready for high school, and they are good, kind kids! The community of parents are a wonderful support and the Principal is amazing.

Posted December 10, 2013

Typical private school with all the politics that you expect. There is a lot of favoritism between staff parents and if you aren't in the circle than you will not enjoy your time there. I struggle using the word program for the sports program because a program means there is structure and a way of doing things that is cheap and very lazy. If your kids love sports this is NOT the place for you. I gave it 3 stars because my kid likes it there because of the friends he/she has. Okay if you dont get approved for anywhere else. Parents are the ones left to organize and run everything with resistance at every turn when requests are made. The teachers excuse for not being good is to say your kid might need extra help or tutoring that they conveniently have for more $$ of course.

Posted November 5, 2013

Holy Name School-SF. My daughter has been attending Holy Name since Kindergarten and is now in 7th grade. The faculty and principal are excellent, and the kids are great! What I love and appreciate most is the parents and community involvement. I feel safe when I drop my daughter off at school and know that she is getting the best education. That's what we work so hard for...is for our kids to get the best education to help them achieve all their goals in life! I give this school 5 stars!

Posted September 24, 2013

A hidden gem in the Sunset: this school thoughtfully and consistently prepares its students to be strong readers, writers, and thinkers. My two sons will graduate this year after 6 years at the school and parish. It's friendly and easy to join- a great combination of locals and newcomers. I teach at a local Catholic high school and have had the opportunity (and pleasure) to teach over 10 of HN's alum in 10th and 11th grade. These students can write and read well! HN students are competitive applicants at SI, SHC, Mercy, Riordan and any independent school in the City.

Posted September 24, 2013

This school offers not only a great education for the children, but is also offers a great sense of community with such wonderful parent, teacher, church, and student involvement. I also love the fact that the student body population is very diverse and very reflective of the diverse nature of San Francisco. Not all private schools can say the same. I would never send my child to any other school. Love Holy Name!!!

Posted September 19, 2013

A lovely, engaged community with well-balanced primary educational program offering students art, music, sports, extracurricular activities, and service opportunities allowing students to exercise and discover all aspects of their developing personhood.

Posted August 29, 2013

Holy Name School is a hidden gem in the outer Sunset. My daughter has been here for 7 years, and she has grown educationally and had opportunities to participate in school sports where she probably won't not have at a larger school. The after school programs are extensive, and the principal and staff are easily accessible.

Posted August 29, 2013

Holy Name is a warm wonderful school that keeps academics in the minds and hearts of the children as well as a wonderfully warm sense of community.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love this school!!! My son will start his 7th year at Holy Name soon, and I am thrilled with his education and development. Some schools have a few great teachers, a few great kids to form friendships with, and a few solid skills to learn. But here every teacher is completely dedicated, the Principal is amazing, and the spirit of community has always been special. I am so thankful for this school.

Posted April 8, 2013

My son went here for 1 year, and that was enough. The teachers can't do anything about the kids. But the fault really lies with the parents. A lot of the students seem to have no discipline and the students act like they are entitled to everything just because they go to/can afford a private school. Some students bully others about things like how much money their family makes. The education at this school is mediocre too. I moved my son to A.P. Giannini for the 8th grade. In my sons algebra class, they're learning about completing the square, quadratics, graphing the equations, vertexes, etc. Some adults don't even know them. At Holy Name, some of the 7th graders didn't know multiplication yet. You learn that in the 3rd grade in public schools. At SH teachers can't teach because the students don't know the basics. Students here are bullies. They even bully kids from other schools. SH students go to Ortega library, which is next to APG. The SH students are always staring at APG students, giving dirty looks and whispering loudly to their friends, probably insults. I have seen this myself. Overall, the children are mean and don't do well in school. Choose a public school instead.

Posted May 11, 2010

This is a wonderful school that is incredibly strong in academics. The only thing I don't like is how lots of syber bullying goes on there and the principal doesnt seem to do anything about it

Posted March 24, 2010

We like many SF parents went through the insane public school lottery system and budget cuts but we are so happy that we decided to attend Holy Name. We were so impressed with the students and the parent involvement. Holy Name offers after school languange programs and extended care to assist busy working parents and also an online lunch ordering program. Holy Name is an excellent challenging school and we are proud to see our money working for our kids especially the new macbook computer lab.

Posted August 1, 2009

With an amazing supply and teachers and staff at hand, Holy Name is prepared to take on any challenge. In my nine years of being there, I've learned that there are some lessons in life you can't learn from a book. You can learn many of them at this school. There are a bunch of events there that range from sports to regular outings with food an games to musical events. All these coordinated by teachers, parents, and students. Teachers here are the best. They reach students in many different ways to deal with many situations. A person can't go wrong with this school. I know this seems like endless praise, but I wouldn't have ended up the person I am today without it. Check it out sooner or later, there may be even more things that they just recently added that haven't even been mentioned in other reviews. :D
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 13, 2008

Holy Name is a wonderful school My daughter will be graduating from 8th grade this term, and she has been here since kindergarten. I am so glad I chose Holy Name for her. It is such a family oriented school and a very friendly environment. The teachers and school staff have all been great. There is always something going on in Holy Name and it is always something exciting, and that is why the children love this school. The parents are so cooperative and quite involved with the school activities along with the children. The staff at the Extended Care Program especially Alcira has been like a second parent to the children. I would recommend Holy Name to parents who are looking for a great school for their children. It has been a wonderful experience. Thank you to all the Holy Name Staff for their devotion to the childrens.

Posted February 15, 2008

We love Holy Name! My daughter always comes home with a smile on her face. She enjoys going to extended care where she can hang out with her friends (but only after she finishes her homework). There's a real sense of community in the school. The parents are really involved. The staff is friendly and always helpful.

Posted January 12, 2008

Our experience at Holy Name School has been wonderful thus far! We have two children attending at the moment with plans for our third child to enter. Teachers are friendly, caring and dedicated to our children. Holy Name School offers many extracurricular activities: Karate, Chess, Spanish, Chinese, Student Council, Safety Patrol, etc. Holy Name also has its very own Conservatory of Music. Students, alumni, as well as parish members are offered private voice, piano, guitar and violin lessons with recitals at the end of each semester. From our very first day at Holy Name School, I noticed the friendly, helpful and supportive community. As it's been said, 'It takes a village to raise a child.'

Posted September 18, 2007

Awesome and very innovative changes are taking place at my children's school, HOLY NAME OF JESUS. The kids are very aware of it, and they are active participants. We are also very lucky, with all of our new friends and the school parent body in general because of their involvement. Parents want to help out and they are encouraged. We came from a preschool (The Little School) were diversity and respect is a must, and we are fortunate of continuing in a SCHOOL that teaches and preaches just that. Well, I forgot ... the academics and high scores, drove our attention too, when we did our tour! (And we saw around 15 schools). We don't live close to HOLY NAME, but it's all worth it ... getting up a little earlier and crossing beautiful GGPark every morning! Looking forward to many years @ Holy Name School!

Posted March 2, 2007

Academics is the no.1 priority at Holy Name Parish School. Proof lies in our students' high school acceptance exams, awards garnered by our students in different Academic Competitions (usually hosted by High Schools) and just a report of our overall GPA's. You should attend the quarterly Honor Assembly and be overwhelmed by our students' academic achievements. Holy Name School participates in CYO's various sports programs among others (volleyball, basketball, soccer, baseball and soon to come Irish Football). There is all-day kindergarten, extended care (morning and afternoon), many other after-school programs for example: foreign language classes, karate & chess. Holy Name Parish also has a Conservatory of Music where students can enroll in private classes in piano, voice, violin and guitar. All lessons at the Conservatory start after school so there is no clash with the school schedule. There's many things in store for young minds at HN. Come see us!

Posted April 2, 2006

We are wrapping up 13 yrs at the school (2 kids). It's a safe school with zero tolerance for abberant behavior (expulsion). The principal is retiring after this June & a search for replacement is in process. Teachers are generally friendly, some harshier than others, but we don't feel the kids are challenged enough. Ample team sports with volleyball, basketball, baseball, scoccer. The kids participate in an annual Christmas singing pagent, and 8th graders in a class musical - this yr,'Oklahoma', but the school lacks a strong music program. No band, chorus, orchestra. Parents have a mandatory committment of 25 service hours annually, easy to fulfill, as there's lots to do for the school. Parents are very friendly, supportive & helpful and the best way to meet them is to have your child join sports or participate in the church. Participation in fundraising and donations expected.

Posted December 16, 2005

This is great school with strong leadership, nice and qualified teachers, wonderful art and sport programs. You must see annual musical or attend school basketball game to understand how much students are enjoying being and working together. Academic program is strong and compare to overall low level of American education system is really giving us a hope for better future of our son

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Judy Cosmos
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (415) 731-3328

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab

Extended Care (after school program)

About the program
  • The Extended Care program is open to all boys and girls, Kindergarten through 8th grade, who need a daily program after school dismissal. Our goal is to provide an after school experience for your child that will satisfy his/her needs in the following ways: -Time for homework and assistance -Time for outdoor recreation and games -Active and quiet time -Art activities and projects -Snack is provided
Types of activities
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • K-8
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
How can parents find out more about fees?
  • Call
Phone number
  • 415-731-4077

Summer School (summer program)

About the program
  • Academic classes for 1st - 5th grade students offered for 5 weeks.
Types of activities
  • Academic
Days offered
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 1-5
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
How can parents find out more about fees?
  • Call

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Drama club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Saint Ignatius