K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)

St. Philip School
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted March 01, 2016
Honesty and Integrity start from the top. When the staff does not trust who they work for, it is hard in a work environment. Staff members have expressed they deeply miss Remy Everett running the school.

St. Philip School 3

Posted March 01, 2016
The school has been consistently behind in English and Math. As my child studied to take the HSPT there was so much to still learn. Hopefully the test will not be the only determination to get into our high school of choice. Speaking to parents of children who have graduated from this school, it seems to be they struggle a bid more than kids from other SF Catholic Schools. We also still do not have a Principal.

Posted September 30, 2015
I feel it's time I update my previous review, now that my son has entered the 6th grade middle school area of the school. He is very enthusiastic and is really enjoying learning and taking on more responsibility. After attending the Back to school night recently, I can see why, each teacher for the various subjects such as math, science, literature and history had one common denominator they expressed us to encourage our children to ask questions be involved. If a child was having trouble each of them made it clear they were available at different times either at recess or after school for any additional help! With support like that no wonder the kids get into the best high schools of their choice in the city!!

St. Philip School 1

Posted September 08, 2015
This school has a large class size. There is not enough supervision on the school yard and kids get hurt. The school is fine until you have a problem and then the administration is not equipped to properly deal with it. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

St. Philip School 2

Posted August 24, 2015
It's important to understand that Catholic schools do not require the same rigorous credentials that Public School teachers need to have a job teaching... in fact they do not even need a teaching degree. We were at this school for one year, since we could not get into any of our choice schools for SF Public. We are not religious, and I felt way too much time was wasted in a Religion Class (and assignments/activities), which students are graded on and reflected in the report card... when they could be focusing on some more important subjects. We transferred out back into a SF Public school - (Miraloma) which has been leaps and bounds a better education for my kids.

Posted March 01, 2015
This is my 19th year at St. Philips and my 3rd child going through. My daughter is in 7th grade and wants to attend SH. My other 2 went to Riordan and SH. This IS a Catholic school so of course Religion is taught. This is why we sent our kids here! We have been here through 4 principals and many teachers, and the hiring is excellent. Yes, it can be expensive but you are told up front all the costs and how much participation is required. We have a huge active community that is supported and loved by our church. All children and their parents are accepted at this school. My oldest son is a Catholic grade school teacher at another school. This is what we want for our family. If religion upsets or scares you, then it's not the right place for you. It has been the absolute best thing we could have done for our kids. And the parents are a great, fun, hardworking team

St. Philip School 1

Posted February 19, 2015
As a gay parent I can't justify sending my kids there anymore. We initially went since we didnt get in any of the public schools we applied for. But the kids being graded on religion (and wasting school time with that rather than a useful subject like reading, math or science) and the feeling that I'm giving money to the Catholic church as an organization makes me feel sick. Religion should have no place in education. Yes, this school's teachers and staff are great, and have been with my family... and I don't think any of them really support the Catholic church's larger discrimination... but the best thing we can do is show the church our disapproval by our checkbooks. We were fortunate enough to get a second chance at SF Public, and have been really happy there. Good riddance Catholic Church.

Posted September 25, 2014
Join us for Kindergarten Open House, Wednesday October 15, 2014 at 7pm in the kindergarten classroom. Learn about the curriculum, tour the classroom, meet the teachers and talk with parents.

Posted February 19, 2014
We have not been at the school very long, but we are easily very happy with it. We initially went the public route, but failed to get any of our top picks, so we decided to go here as it was local. Funny, now I'm happy how things turned out - it really has been great/solid experience. Pro's: Smaller school so you do feel a bit more care. Easy to talk to teachers, other parents, etc. Very nice (and involved!) parents (get ready to be as well if you attend..but it's worth it). Also, this may sound odd but I don't find the school 'too Catholic'-ly bent - it's not crammed down or anything. Only one of us (parents) was raised Catholic (and didn't do Catholic schools growing up) so that was big. The cost is not nearly as high as other privates but I feel you get way more for your $. Also, I like how this provides us grade 6-8th solution and (if we want) potentially sets us up with a few good Catholic high schools options. The public route had me a bit worried about Jr. High and High School. Only a few cons I can think of: no real big playground, which is a bit of a bummer. And of course, there is a cost.

St. Philip School 4

Posted December 21, 2012
I feel the bad reviews about the middle school are a bit unfair. My child is now at Lowell, and doing great. She had the organizational skills and knowledge to transition easily into high school. She was extremely well prepared in English and literature. Math was a bit different. I had been warned that students who arrived at Lowell from small school did not do as well as students from big middle schools. At smaller schools, teachers tend to make sure that all students have mastered a subject before moving on, and parents of kids who do well need to make sure that their kids get challenged (and cover all the material in 8th grade before the high school math placement test... please learn from my shortcomings.) If a small school would be a good fit for your child, St-Philip is as good a place as any, led by a wonderful principal, with a caring, knowledgeable staff. They do their best to help students, but like anywhere else, you need to know what's happening, and be an advocate for your child.

St. Philip School