K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Our family loves this school. Like any school, there are things that can be improved, but the parent community is very engaged and the new principal is great. Teachers are really wonderful - very personally attentive to each kid. A really nice thing is that lots of sports teams are organized for each class beginning in K which makes participating in sports very easy and also contributes to a positive school spirit.

I've been at St. Philip for 5 years now and highly recommend it. Without a doubt, we had a tough year last year when our principal unexpectedly passed away. But this year, we've seen a remarkable reset due to a new principal who is very dedicated to the school, a new priest who is very focused on the church and leaves the school to its administration, and beloved teachers who have given the school stability to build from. Above all, the parent community is the real reason I love the school most. I never thought it would matter that much when I was first looking at schools, but it impacts everything about our school experience and has such a positive effect on my children's overall education.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

The school has just put a new social/emotional program into place and I'm really looking forward to it. Only marking this as neutral because I haven't heard yet how it's working out.

Develops character: Disagree

Honesty and Integrity start from the top. When the staff does not trust who they work for, it is hard in a work environment. Staff members have expressed they deeply miss Remy Everett running the school.

The school has been consistently behind in English and Math. As my child studied to take the HSPT there was so much to still learn. Hopefully the test will not be the only determination to get into our high school of choice. Speaking to parents of children who have graduated from this school, it seems to be they struggle a bid more than kids from other SF Catholic Schools. We also still do not have a Principal.

I feel it's time I update my previous review, now that my son has entered the 6th grade middle school area of the school. He is very enthusiastic and is really enjoying learning and taking on more responsibility. After attending the Back to school night recently, I can see why, each teacher for the various subjects such as math, science, literature and history had one common denominator they expressed us to encourage our children to ask questions be involved. If a child was having trouble each of them made it clear they were available at different times either at recess or after school for any additional help! With support like that no wonder the kids get into the best high schools of their choice in the city!!

This school has a large class size. There is not enough supervision on the school yard and kids get hurt. The school is fine until you have a problem and then the administration is not equipped to properly deal with it. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

It's important to understand that Catholic schools do not require the same rigorous credentials that Public School teachers need to have a job teaching... in fact they do not even need a teaching degree. We were at this school for one year, since we could not get into any of our choice schools for SF Public. We are not religious, and I felt way too much time was wasted in a Religion Class (and assignments/activities), which students are graded on and reflected in the report card... when they could be focusing on some more important subjects. We transferred out back into a SF Public school - (Miraloma) which has been leaps and bounds a better education for my kids.

This is my 19th year at St. Philips and my 3rd child going through. My daughter is in 7th grade and wants to attend SH. My other 2 went to Riordan and SH. This IS a Catholic school so of course Religion is taught. This is why we sent our kids here! We have been here through 4 principals and many teachers, and the hiring is excellent. Yes, it can be expensive but you are told up front all the costs and how much participation is required. We have a huge active community that is supported and loved by our church. All children and their parents are accepted at this school. My oldest son is a Catholic grade school teacher at another school. This is what we want for our family. If religion upsets or scares you, then it's not the right place for you. It has been the absolute best thing we could have done for our kids. And the parents are a great, fun, hardworking team

As a gay parent I can't justify sending my kids there anymore. We initially went since we didnt get in any of the public schools we applied for. But the kids being graded on religion (and wasting school time with that rather than a useful subject like reading, math or science) and the feeling that I'm giving money to the Catholic church as an organization makes me feel sick. Religion should have no place in education. Yes, this school's teachers and staff are great, and have been with my family... and I don't think any of them really support the Catholic church's larger discrimination... but the best thing we can do is show the church our disapproval by our checkbooks. We were fortunate enough to get a second chance at SF Public, and have been really happy there. Good riddance Catholic Church.

Last modified St. Philip School is a Private school that serves grades K-8