San Francisco, CA

Posted September 25, 2014
Join us for Kindergarten Open House, Wednesday October 15, 2014 at 7pm in the kindergarten classroom. Learn about the curriculum, tour the classroom, meet the teachers and talk with parents.

Posted February 19, 2014
We have not been at the school very long, but we are easily very happy with it. We initially went the public route, but failed to get any of our top picks, so we decided to go here as it was local. Funny, now I'm happy how things turned out - it really has been great/solid experience. Pro's: Smaller school so you do feel a bit more care. Easy to talk to teachers, other parents, etc. Very nice (and involved!) parents (get ready to be as well if you attend..but it's worth it). Also, this may sound odd but I don't find the school 'too Catholic'-ly bent - it's not crammed down or anything. Only one of us (parents) was raised Catholic (and didn't do Catholic schools growing up) so that was big. The cost is not nearly as high as other privates but I feel you get way more for your $. Also, I like how this provides us grade 6-8th solution and (if we want) potentially sets us up with a few good Catholic high schools options. The public route had me a bit worried about Jr. High and High School. Only a few cons I can think of: no real big playground, which is a bit of a bummer. And of course, there is a cost.

St. Philip School 4

Posted December 21, 2012
I feel the bad reviews about the middle school are a bit unfair. My child is now at Lowell, and doing great. She had the organizational skills and knowledge to transition easily into high school. She was extremely well prepared in English and literature. Math was a bit different. I had been warned that students who arrived at Lowell from small school did not do as well as students from big middle schools. At smaller schools, teachers tend to make sure that all students have mastered a subject before moving on, and parents of kids who do well need to make sure that their kids get challenged (and cover all the material in 8th grade before the high school math placement test... please learn from my shortcomings.) If a small school would be a good fit for your child, St-Philip is as good a place as any, led by a wonderful principal, with a caring, knowledgeable staff. They do their best to help students, but like anywhere else, you need to know what's happening, and be an advocate for your child.

Posted October 30, 2012
We just moved here from another School and LOVE IT! The Kids are happy and learning in a positive environment. We have been very impressed with the Third grade teacher, she is truly passionate about teaching! The parents are dedicated and upbeat and always working on how they can do more to support the kids and school staff.

Posted September 17, 2012
I have one child at a top-notch elementary public school and one at St Philips middle school and I can tell you that the expectations and teaching standards are quite different. At St. Philips, the teachers are excellent and the curriculum is challenging. The kids are engaged, caring and thoughtful individuals. Kids are given lots of homework and although you are not required to take notes of your textbook, my child does so because he wants to get honors. The academics are tough so if your child is too stressed, the school may not be a good fit.

St. Philip School 4

Posted September 14, 2012
The middle school has been a great experience for my daughter. In one year she learned organizational skills, dedication, respondibilty for her own homework, and of course contents. And most positive surprise after 6 grade, for the first time she said she enjoyed school and would miss her 6 grade teacher over the summer.

Posted May 25, 2012
Two of our children attend St. Philip School in Noe Valley. I find it sad that one or two of the families are feeling frustrated. I honestly do not believe that any teacher or member of the faculty hold grudges or do not want to hear about complaints that parents or students may have. Even though my children are still in the lower grades, I have easily gotten to know the teachers of the upper grades. The Principal is very open to new suggestions, ideas and is willing to deal with the smallest of concerns. My sons learning difficulties were quickly identified and he is receiving extra curricular attention for this. The community spirit at the school is very, very impressive and families from many diverse backgrounds and culture attend. St. Philips truly is a hidden gem in the Valley!

St. Philip School 1

Posted May 16, 2012
LOL! It is a Great School for teachers! The middle school teachers are now in the process of cramming in all the lessons over the last few weeks school that they did not cover during the year. No regards for the students. Where did they find these parents to write 5-star reviews? I hope highschool is not like this. Student

Posted May 15, 2012
St Philip's School is a wonderful neighborhood school with a strong sense of community. It's teachers are dedicated hardworking professionals. The principal is a very caring, compassionate person who in my experience has always been available to answer questions or concerns and very receptive to suggestions and ideas from parents.

Posted April 27, 2012
St Philip s is an excellent school with amazing teachers. I have three children at the school, including one in the middle school. The teachers are very committed to providing a great learning environment for the children, and we feel lucky to be part of the St Philip s community. St Philip s is a small parochial school and is anchored strongly in the local community. The parental involvement is incredible. Students are well prepared for and go on to the best high schools.

St. Philip School