No rating

St. Thomas the Apostle School

Private | PK-8 | 318 students

Living in San Francisco

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $750,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,670.

Sweep tile

Posted October 18, 2013

This school is a hidden gem in San Francisco. My daughter has just blossomed here. The teachers and principal are all very engaging and helpful. The small classes and family feel of the community is amazing, and the academic support is incredible. I couldn't be happier with our decision to attend STA!

Posted April 19, 2013

The preschool at STA is nothing short of amazing. I've interviewed at several preschools throughout the bay area and eventually found this to be what I need. As a SAHM, there had to be a compelling reason for me to choose to send my child away to school since there was so much I could offer him at home and by taking him to all the museums in San Francisco. STA preschool offers a facility that dwarfs any other preschool in the bay area with highly educated and skilled teachers who know how to bring out the best in the children. They are tremendous at building confidence and inter-personal skills, as well as the educational foundation for early learners.

Posted April 12, 2013

STA is a rare find! We transferred our son here this school year after a year of being bullied and unchallenged in our local public school. The academics are superb, faculty and staff are warm and caring, and the principal is a true leader. You can't find a better Catholic school in the SF Archdiocese.

Posted November 14, 2012

Best school in the SF by far! As a recent graduate of this school, I was able to live through 9 years at STA. This school, as I see it, is one of the main reasons why I became who I am today. The school has much to provide from wonderful drama programs and an awesome tutoring program to supportive teachers and a loving community. The best part of STA, in my opinion, would be the faculty and community. The faculty at STA truly helped motivate me to be a successful student and athlete. The teachers are always there with their doors open for everyone. Being a student that wanted another supporter by my side, this really helped and as one of my teachers said, "this is a marathon and I am running beside you. We need a strong start and a strong finish." I am truly thankful for EVERYTHING that STA had provided for me and given to me to become a successful student. Without STA, I would never discipline myself and learn moral values.

Posted May 30, 2012

We transferred our daughter here because she was not challenged enough in a highly rated public K-8. We're very happy with the quality of education at STA. This school sends students to top private high schools every year such as University, L-W and SI. In addition, it's a warm family atmosphere that emphasizes moral behavior and good manners, so lacking for young adults right now. This school is an incredible tuition value compared to some schools that cost as much as UC and provide frills but not much substance. STA has everything we wanted and our daughter is thriving there. For us it was definitely the right move.

Posted October 19, 2011

Both of my children attend this school, one in K and one in 2nd. Ms. Borelli is a great principal and is very open to our suggestions. Mrs. Greenhouse, the office manager, is wonderful as well. This school exceeded our expectations and I would definitely recommend it to everybody. It is a smaller school but to me, that's the appeal. You develop a bond with other parents and the teachers.

Posted May 11, 2011

My kids love STA. My son has a learning disability and if it were not for Mrs Harrison-Wong, I doubt if he would be reading at his level at this time. She works with him four days a week after school and I do not have to pay any extra fees for this. I had spent hundreds on private tutors and specialists before STA but my child never improved. It was not until STA that this became a possibility. I am so happy. I see my child reading and keeping up with the rest of the students in his class. His third grade teacher, Mrs Anderson is a gem.

Posted April 8, 2011

This is a great school. The principal Mis Borelli is open and supportive of her staff and teachers. The school has a family atmosphere and most of the parents know each other. The academic standards are high and there is a great Big brother/Big sister program in place. I highly recommend this school.

Posted March 22, 2011

I am currently an 8th grade student at St. Thomas the Apostle and just received my letters of acceptance this past week. Thanks to St. Thomas the Apostle's fabulous education and foundation for the past 9 years, I am able to choose from some of the many prestigious high schools in the city such as University High School, Lowell, Saint Ignatius, Sacred Heart, Lick-Wilmerding, Urban, Drew, and Bay.

Posted March 22, 2011

My son was transfered to the school in 3rd grade and at the time he was an average to above average student. Today he is on 1st honors for every report period and at 98 percentile for the Iowa Test Nationally. He now has aspirations to attend Oxford University. All this is possible due to the love and professionalism shown by everyone from the Principal, to the Vice Principal and the exemptional teaching staff. I am active in the Parent Teacher Group for the last three years and I am very proud that we have been able to bring the Science, in class teaching equipment (smartboards) to the students. Along with that the single classes, which are involved in families, which consist of one student from K-8, are ways that Integrity, Love and Stewardship are promoted in the school. I am proud to be involved in the whole school and all that are there. I can not imagine my son ever going anywhere else for the most important foundation for his future.

Posted October 17, 2010

This school has been fantastic for my son. We transferred him to STA in 3rd grade several years ago and have never regretted the decision. The principal and teachers are highly dedicated and the parents and students are respectful and involved. The academics are very strong and the children and their success are the number one priority at the school.

Posted April 20, 2010

This school takes education very seriously and prepares the child for high school sholastically and also teaches good manners.

Posted September 21, 2009

It is a great school and the school stresses out the importance of education and family values.

Posted September 11, 2009

Students, teachers, academics are all top notch! Transferring my child to this school from one of the local high-priced elite schools was a correct decision. This school has a no-nonsense approach with a high level of academic and performance expectations. Children are kind and the faculty and the administration are highly supportive and friendly. I wish we would have come here sooner.

Posted May 29, 2009

The teachers at sta are always will in to help the students no matter what the problem or condition is.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 11, 2009

As a parent (2nd yr) who researched and visited many schools in the SF area, I found St. Thomas to be top rated school and very good value for a private school. The staff/faculty are excellent in terms of educational knowledge, community & value building, very important qualities for todays young people. I highly recommend the school, principal, staff (very friendly, good communication), curriculum, and location. See their web site too.

Posted June 6, 2008

Excellent school for the price. The students are regularly admitted to top high schools. The absolutely best thing about the school is the amazingly kind, large-hearted students.

Posted December 25, 2007

It's a well educated school where students have a very safe environment. All our kids love this school.

Posted October 29, 2007

ST. Thomas the Apostle is a top acedemic school, the faculty constantly challenges the students. In addition to the strong academic core subjects - ST. Thomas has computer, drama, P.E., Spanish and other art oriented classes in their curriculum. In the the upper grades the 7th and 8th grade students can join the speech team who are undefeated for the last 6 + years. There is a fall and spring play which is lead by Mr. L (who is fabulous!), he is also the summer gate drama director. In a nutshell, with one of the most reasonable tuition in the city, you really get your money's worth and then some.

Posted October 25, 2007

STA has many fine teachers and programs. Many of the teachers are dedicated and hardworking. However, the class size is too large. She also struggled in some subjects, but was not always able to get the help she needed in a large setting. If children do not have a learning disability, are in a big size classroom, and need extra help, they will not get quality there.

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (415) 221-8611

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Francisco

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom