Posted June 29, 2012
We have 2 kids attending the school. We considered (and got into) some other private schools but decided on Star. The teachers are top notch. It is a loving and caring environment. At the end of the day, Star sends kids to the best High Schools in SF. Kids were accepted to all their choice schools (SI, SH, Lowell, etc). Principal is also the best!

Posted April 09, 2012
I have two twin children. Three years ago we moved into this area from Marin and I enrolled them into Star of the Sea. They had no religious background and I was a little concerned about them enrolling in this small Catholic school. I have to say that their experience has been the absolute best. They have changed so much physically and academically and they are much better behaved. This is due to the personalized attention that they have received. The principal Mr. Hanley has been there every step of the way for each of the students. The vice principal Mrs. Lundy has also been very instrumental in my children s academic and spiritual growth. I want to thank both of them also the Math and Science teacher Mr. Q for the exceptional job that they have done. I also want to thank my daughter's sports coaches. They have been mentors to my daughter, especially the volleyball coach. He was there for my daughter not only for volleyball related items but issues related to my daughter's future endeavors. Both of my children have gotten into good high schools and one of them got into the Lowell. They will be graduating from Star of the Sea soon. We will all genuinely miss this school a lot.

Posted April 05, 2012
Star of the Sea is a safe, happy, fun place! Academically it is top notch! But don't just listen to me, This is what my kids have to say about their home away from home. "I like Library, PE, Computer and Art. I was really proud and happy when my artwork was put up on the wall in the auditorium. I like hot lunch. All the teachers are really nice. I like the science lab because it is cool and we are growing Venus Fly Traps. I like ballet class and choir. The principal is really funny and nice. Star of the Sea is a really good place to make friends. I don't go to extended care but it looks fun. I really like it when parents come and help. My favorites subjects are Math, Science, Social Studies, Art and Computer. I really like that there are so many after school enrichment activities. Sometimes the principal wears funny ties. " Out of the mouths of babes!!

Posted March 31, 2012
When we researched schools for our children, I phoned every private and parochial school in the city. The principal at Star of the Sea was the ONLY principal to ask me what I wanted in a school. He took the time to listen to my expectations, learn about my children, and gave me his cell phone number in case I had any other concerns. All the other places told me who they were then set a tour appointment. Sometimes I never got past the secretary. During part of our tour of Star a couple students accompanied us through the facility, answered questions, and described their school experience. Their comportment, poise and love for their school shined. We were impressed that the students are trusted with the important task of showing off their school. For them it instills confidence, it is a learning tool and reinforces the idea that the school is their space. After visiting Star we canceled touring other schools; it wasn't necessary to look any further. Star has a terrific principal, excellent teachers, great kids, and a dedicated group of parent volunteers. All work, learn and come together to create a strong, supportive, nurturing, caring community.

Posted March 31, 2012
The principal's dedication to his students is outstanding. His prime focus is always the good of the students. He is approachable, receptive, supportive and promotes the idea that we are a family and a community. The teachers are dedicated, kind, and hard working. They teach strong academics, compassion, empathy, a sense of self, how to be stewards of the community and Earth. Art and Music round off an outstanding curriculum. The children perform exceedingly well on the IOWA tests and graduates attend excellent high schools. Star has a rich offering of after school programs and activities: CYO sports, excellent after school care, classes in foreign languages, golf, ballet, sewing, chess, newspaper, choir, drama, and homework club. The principal is always open to adding new classes. Star has a fantastic science lab, large gym, two stages and a spacious playground planted with several trees and flowers. The kindergartners have access to a well appointed play structure. Parent involvement is incredible. My husband and I are tremendously pleased with Star. Most importantly our children are happy. They love their teachers, have made excellent friends and are thriving academically.

Posted March 30, 2012
Star of the Sea School is a community of "People caring about people." The principal's open, kind and caring relationship with students, staff and parents sets the tone for the school. The exceptionally well qualified teachers share a sense of joy and mission that benefits all the students. Star is a happy place to work and learn!

Posted March 30, 2012
Any parent who is fortunate enough to have a child enrolled in this school should count their lucky stars. Remarkable, caring teachers, excellent leadership from the principal and a focus on what is best for todays student in preparation for the next step....that is all one can ask. Tim McRitchie

Posted March 15, 2012
We have two children at this school and we have been very happy here. The principal has an open door policy with parents and is always willing to listen. He may not give the answer a parent would want, but he does have the best interest of the total student body and school at heart. Regarding the parent comment on the school being run on fear, I wholeheartedly disagree. I doubt that they have a child at the school because if they did, they would know that only in extreme cases of class disruption are children sent to the principal's office. My oldest child is shy and quiet, and because of this school my child has grown to be confident and nurtured to learn. Both my children continually say how they LOVE their school and teachers. They both feel like all the teachers know who they are as people. There is no perfect school, but the leadership, community and the general caring atmosphere at the school make it a wonderful place for a child to learn. And the children here do very well on standardized tests as well as being accepted to the city's finest high schools.

Star Of The Sea School 4

Posted November 18, 2011
The Star of the Sea school is a fantastic school with amazing teachers, engaged parents, and strong administration. The teachers are adored by the kids and work well with parents to bring the instruction into the home. The families have developed a strong support network for the school and are active in improving the school. The principle has been steadily implementing improvements with the staff, academics, and facilities. The school has a strong record of high school placement and testing results. Of course, the school has areas for improvement including the additional facilities renovations, more challenging cirriculum, and individual instruction tailored to students abilities. The administration, parents, and teachers are working together to develop a strategy for addressing these challenges and adding more capabilities to the school. The commitment to improvement impressive and enrollment is increasing as a result.

Star Of The Sea School 1

Posted November 03, 2011
The school is run on FEAR. When you go to tour the school look into Kindergartener's eyes, full of fear. Ask them what kind of conflict resolution they teach their kids? NONE. Their policy is that kids should use their kind manners toward each other; however the kids approach to conflict is telling on each other to protect themselves. They have no play area for Kindergarteners and the teacher does not handle anything and simply sends the kids to the principal's office for every little thing. I would not recommend this school based on my observations. I should say that the preschool is wonderful... has nothing to do with the K-8 program!

Star Of The Sea School
360 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94118
Last modified Star Of The Sea School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Star Of The Sea School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews.