No rating

St. Monica School

Private | K-8 | 197 students

Strong Academic Program and Nurturing Catholic Community

Living in San Francisco

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $750,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,670.

Sweep tile

Posted September 3, 2012

The school has a wonderful principal, caring and dedicated teachers and comprehensive parent support. It has been a pleasure to send our son to St. Monica's and join a strong school community.

Posted January 24, 2012

My son is in his fourth year at St. Monica. The school offers a strong community, solid academics, and extensive parental involvement. With a single class per grade level (usually 20 - 25 children per grade) the kids have an opportunity to form strong & lasting friendships, and receive individualized attention from the staff. Like many parents I initially focused on applications to the "elite schools". In hindsight I'm happy that we selected St. Monica, as the school frequently places as many or more children each year in excellent high schools (e.g. St. Ignatius) as the "elite schools", all while charging tuition that's one quarter of the cost of the "elite schools". Additionally, the kids are exposed to a much more diverse group of children, and the environment lacks the high stress tension often found at a number of private K - 8 schools.

Posted January 22, 2012

My daughter has been at the school for two years. We are so happy with the academics, the extra curricular activities offered, and the small nurturing community . She loves her teachers and they have instilled "a love for learning." We could not ask for more.

Posted March 10, 2011

We had the opportunity to compare the quality of education of St. Monica and to another Catholic school in another city. I would have to say we were spoiled by the education and activities our children received at St. Monica. The other school did not have the variety of after-school activities and when we returned to St. Monica, they were behind academically. The biggest issue is we know that the St. Monica takes serious any form of bullying while my son was bullied during the school year at the other school and it wasn't until the bully defaced my son's yearbook did the school do anything.

Posted December 9, 2010

St. Monica is a wonderful school! We are the parents of a 2nd grader and she has been going to St. Monica's since Kinder. Not only do we love the school, but more importantly our daughter loves it. It is a very family oriented environment which also focuses on academics. One thing that was important to us as parents was the Arts and St. Monica provides art, music, drama, and many other programs in school and outside of the school for the children. I feel the children that attended school here are very well rounded and happy.

Posted November 18, 2010

St. Monica school is a great school. It builds the students both academically and behaviorally. My son has been improved a lot since he was there. The teachers are excellent and very helpfull . Parents are very close to each others and to the teachers.

Posted November 11, 2010

Our daughter entered St. Monica School as a kindergartener this fall and has transitioned from her preschool beautifully. Like many San Francisco families, we cast a wide net to ensure the best possible experience for our child and so we looked at public, private independent and parochial schools. Above all else, we wanted strong academics, individualized attention in and out of the classroom, and an active/creative parent community. St. Monica School offers all this and we are very happy parents as a result. More importantly, our daughter is happy and challenged academically.

Posted November 7, 2010

I love this school. It is incredibly diverse, the teachers and parents are very involved, and it is so much NOT what I expected when I started looking at parochial schools. It is a challenging program, but very realistic about child development, paying attention to the individual child, and phasing in the challenge so that, for example, kindergartners are not overwhelmed. Since it is a K-8 program, they have the time to bring out the best in these kids and I consistently hear this from parents of the older kids. I know that my challenging kindergartner is happy when he comes home, and I can see that he is finding his niche and learning, so I highly recommend St. Monica.

Posted October 20, 2010

We placed our son in St. Monica for middle school, after graduating from one of the top S.F. Public Elementary Schools. He was an average student at best, and we wanted to see how he would respond to a smaller environment and more personal attention, In the course of his 3 years at St Monica, his his grades and test scores rose steadily, as did his class participation and interest level in school, He also was able to play 3 team sports, which was a tremendous experience for him. He now attends one of the top-rated high schools in S.F. (he was also one of many 8th graders at SM accepted to Lowell). I expected that St. Monica would be a better fit for our son, but my wife and I never dreamed that he would achieve so much in terms of his personal development and academic success.

Posted October 18, 2010

I attended St. Monica School from Grade 1-8. I feel they contributed greatly in developing me as a strong individual with good morals and a big heart.

Posted October 13, 2010

St. Monica is a wonderful, tight-knit school that strikes a perfect balance between academics and emotional development. We received our 1st choice public school in the SF lottery, and chose St. Monica. If you think your child would flourish in a smaller school setting with active parental involvement and top-notch teachers, this is the school for you. The K teacher is especially good at helping little ones make a positive transition into elementary school. Our child is happy and growing skills and confidence every day. Our second child can't wait to enroll, too! Before you flee to the suburbs or take on massive debt at a pricey private, come take a look at St. Monica's. We are glad we did.

Posted September 20, 2010

It's a mystery as to why this school is still largely under the radar for private/parochial schools. The academics are very strong as demonstrated by most of our outgoing 8th classes - in terms of their achievement and HS placements. In fact, the 2010 graduating class ranked highest on the standardized testing last Fall, beating out 56 other schools in Marin, SF and the Pennisula. I appreciate the very hardworking principal and staff. Teachers care about students and are involved. The dedicated Art teacher and studio is fantastic. Finally, I appreciate the well-roundedness in the curriculum - traditional academics along with drama, piano, guitar and several language classes. Students here are not 'worldly' just nice kids who seem happy at school.

Posted November 2, 2009

M daugter is very happy at St. Monica and she is doing well socially and academically. While St. Monica does not have all the bells and whistles of some of the other private schools, it is a quality education in a caring environment. The community is very nice and down to earth. I would recommend it to others

Posted June 6, 2009

Our daughter attended kinder this year. She was previously enrolled in a preschool for 2 years. During her time at preschool she was timid, shy and not at all out going. She would often cry when dropped off at preschool. Upon entering St. Monica she quickly began to express her love for her teacher and teachers aide. Our daughter is now an outgoing and confident child. She has exhibited several leadership qualities. Kindergarten at St. Monica made her come out of her shell. When our daughter was sick and was unable to attend school she would cry because she did not want to miss any time from school. The principal fosters a loving and caring environment. He is very receptive to the needs of parents. We felt so confident that St. Monica was the school for us. We look forward to many more years here!

Posted January 13, 2007

As a current student of St. Monica, I love going here. We all love going here. I transferred in third grade to come here, and I love it here. The courses are challenging yet not beyond a student's capabilities, and the art program has been reinstated, and is led by a wonderful teacher who definitely knows what she is talking about. The new principal is great, and is easy to work with, and I firmly believe that this is the finest elementary school in the city.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 29, 2006

We have two children who attend St. Monica School. They are both thriving academically at a school with great teacher student ratios. St. Monica School offers all children the opportunity to grow and advance. Bright students are challenged. The school has a new principal who is focused on a stimulating academic environment for the children. The faculty loves teaching, love their students and challenge their students--it is outstanding. Each year St. Monica places over half of its graduating class in high Lowell and St. Ignatius High Schools. The school offers sports programs for children from 3rd grade through 8th grade and parents have organized micro soccer programs for children in grades K-2. As with most schools, parental involvement is expected and adds to the educational experience of the children.

Posted November 28, 2006

St.Monica School is a place where the children are challenged academically and grow spiritually. When they graduate to high school, most if not all students go to the best private and public schools. Many parents are involved at the school and its activities and the sports teams are very competitive. The teachers are well educated and informed. They know what's needed to succeed in high school. We're a small school but with a big heart!

Posted November 24, 2006

My son was not thriving in his other catholic school, so I transferred him to St. Monica, and I now have a new child, a truly happy child. The teachers are fantastic, and real honest to goodness 'warm and cuddly' types, not severe like at his old school. He skips to school every day now....I'm actually serious : ) I didn't realize catholic school could be fun....but here's the great part...not only do they have a lot of art and music, (which is wonderful for children) they also have higher standardized test scores than his other school. I had no idea you could have it all. My son is a different person, and my life is so much better now that he loves going to school! I don't know what school that other person is talking about, but anyone is free to contact me about St. Monica. It's absolutely warm and wonderful.

Posted November 8, 2006

While the education is very good, it does not make for a complete school experience. There are sports teams for older kids. Hardly any field trips available, even for the older kids. Wish I looked longer for a better school.

Posted October 25, 2006

Run as fast as you can from St Monica School or any school under the Archdiochese of San Francisco! It seems as if the teachers have not taken any continuing education courses to expand their skills. It seems as if the teaching plans are still the same ones used thirty years ago. As far as an art program it is up to the regular teachers whenever they feel like it. The music program was threatened to be discontinued as well, until each family had to pay an additional fee (above tuition) for the teacher's salary. The parental involvement is good, but it is a core group. There are constant fundraisers; you feel like you are buying something every week! Not recommened!

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (415) 751-0781

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Religious
  • Science
  • Service learning
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of San Francisco

Extended Care Program (after school program)

Types of activities
  • Academic
Days offered
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • K-8
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
How can parents find out more about fees?
  • Call

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis