K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My son entered SFS as a 6th grader after graduating from a public Spanish immersion school, and we couldn't be happier with our decision to send him there. The community of families, educators and administrators has been so supportive and welcoming, and our son is thriving academically. Now in 7th grade, he has taken full ownership of his homework and test preparation after many years of homework struggles around the kitchen table. He has been motivated to take his learning to the next level by the outstanding SFS teachers and the in-depth projects and challenging material they assign. The other day, my son said to me, "I think I'm really going to miss SFS when I leave." That might be one of the best compliments a school can receive.

We came to SFS for middle school for both of our sons, who attended public school in San Francisco for grades K-5. We couldn't have made a better decision! Our younger son is graduating from 8th grade this year, and we feel that both of our boys thrived at SFS! The music program is phenomenal, and the way the teaching staff works together to weave themes and topics through multiple subjects is excellent. The staff, families and students work as a cohesive unit, ensuring a warm and supportive environment. The school walks the walk in terms of its mission and we recommend it highly for these crucial middle school years. We transitioned so easily in the 6th grade (both times) and my son who is graduating this year wishes SFS offered a high school - he doesn't want to leave!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The students have homework, but it is not busywork and it is not excessive.

When we selected a preschool for our kids 11 years ago, we didn't realize how important seemingly small things such as reporting the day’s lunch menu, building with milk crates, and learning the sounds of the week would be in instilling in our children a lifelong passion for learning, respect for others, and sense of personal responsibility. It is amazing how much our children have learned learned and grown from the caring, loving, intelligent teachers and staff who engage and empower them. The San Francisco School has celebrates the kids' imaginations, challenges them intellectually, and helps make them kinder, better people. As we tour high schools for our oldest who is graduating, our decision to send our kids to SFS has been reaffirmed- We have seen a disproportionate number of SFS alumni leading tours and sitting on admission panels at their high schools. They are articulate, intelligent and confident. We see in these alumni the enduring influence of SFS. It's the best!

This is a fabulous thriving school! My son is just completing his first year here as an incoming 6th grader after having attended private school in Marin since kindergarten. We cannot have asked for a better middle school for our son. It truly is an "urban school with a village feel"! A newly built 14000 sq ft community center/gymnasium on a 1.3 acre lot really adds to all the other reasons we love about SFS-- dedicated teachers/staff, fantastic academics, a proficiency level Spanish program, amazing music and arts, wonderful families, etc. It was no surprise to see my son had such an easy and smooth transition into this new school considering how friendly, nurturing and supporting the entire teachers and staff are. We are very fortunate to be a part of such a lovely community and fabulous institution!!!

SFS is a fantastic school: The staff gets to know each child and teach to the individual child. We've had eight years here and love it.

I am a student at the San Francisco School and am going into 6th Grade. My 5th grade teacher was awesome and was very fair and was great helping everyone out. I've been at SFS since I was 3 years old. I love the music program and how they welcome all kinds of music - also the art program is really good as we work on all kinds of art from a very young age. the community is great - its a small school and you get to know all the kids -- even the older kids. there is a sense of being part of a big family.

The San Francisco School is phenomenal. I am a 7th grade student at this school that has been here my entire school life. Ever since I was 3, I have walked through the doors of this school every morning, feeling so confident and comfortable that I would have a good day. From the home-cooked meals and stellar music program to the fun art classes and challenging math lessons, this school's elementary and pre-k program is great. The middle school is amazing. The teachers start to give us larger boundaries to create schoolwork that is completely our own. (In preparation for high school). I would recommend this school to ANYONE who is in need of a great education.

We entered SFS in 1st grade. The Admissions process impressed us in that the communication was open, and the procedure was transparent. The campus has a warm, summer camp feel, with a green, more modern development in the near future. I like the combo of progressive values, along strong academics. The hands-on, project based model is proven effective. We feel welcome and very happy here. My daughter is thriving in this casual and friendly atmosphere (something lacking in some private schools.)

Our child (who is of color and from a non-traditional family) has been at the school for 6 years and is thriving emotionally and academically. The strengths of the school: *Very diverse for a private school, 50% of color, large percentage of LGBT parents. *Amazing music and art programs. *Outdoor space and environmental education is great. *Excellent teachers and staff *Language arts (reading, literature) is excellent. *Strong community *Highest rate of indexed tuition (assistance) in the Bay area They recently revamped the math program (which was strong before, but needed improvement) and it looks like it has a lot of promise so far.

Last modified San Francisco School, The is a Private school that serves grades K-8