San Francisco, CA

Posted May 21, 2014
This is a fabulous thriving school! My son is just completing his first year here as an incoming 6th grader after having attended private school in Marin since kindergarten. We cannot have asked for a better middle school for our son. It truly is an "urban school with a village feel"! A newly built 14000 sq ft community center/gymnasium on a 1.3 acre lot really adds to all the other reasons we love about SFS-- dedicated teachers/staff, fantastic academics, a proficiency level Spanish program, amazing music and arts, wonderful families, etc. It was no surprise to see my son had such an easy and smooth transition into this new school considering how friendly, nurturing and supporting the entire teachers and staff are. We are very fortunate to be a part of such a lovely community and fabulous institution!!!

Posted September 20, 2011
SFS is a fantastic school: The staff gets to know each child and teach to the individual child. We've had eight years here and love it.

Posted August 13, 2011
I am a student at the San Francisco School and am going into 6th Grade. My 5th grade teacher was awesome and was very fair and was great helping everyone out. I've been at SFS since I was 3 years old. I love the music program and how they welcome all kinds of music - also the art program is really good as we work on all kinds of art from a very young age. the community is great - its a small school and you get to know all the kids -- even the older kids. there is a sense of being part of a big family.

Posted April 06, 2011
The San Francisco School is phenomenal. I am a 7th grade student at this school that has been here my entire school life. Ever since I was 3, I have walked through the doors of this school every morning, feeling so confident and comfortable that I would have a good day. From the home-cooked meals and stellar music program to the fun art classes and challenging math lessons, this school's elementary and pre-k program is great. The middle school is amazing. The teachers start to give us larger boundaries to create schoolwork that is completely our own. (In preparation for high school). I would recommend this school to ANYONE who is in need of a great education.

Posted March 01, 2011
We entered SFS in 1st grade. The Admissions process impressed us in that the communication was open, and the procedure was transparent. The campus has a warm, summer camp feel, with a green, more modern development in the near future. I like the combo of progressive values, along strong academics. The hands-on, project based model is proven effective. We feel welcome and very happy here. My daughter is thriving in this casual and friendly atmosphere (something lacking in some private schools.)

Posted January 31, 2011
Our child (who is of color and from a non-traditional family) has been at the school for 6 years and is thriving emotionally and academically. The strengths of the school: *Very diverse for a private school, 50% of color, large percentage of LGBT parents. *Amazing music and art programs. *Outdoor space and environmental education is great. *Excellent teachers and staff *Language arts (reading, literature) is excellent. *Strong community *Highest rate of indexed tuition (assistance) in the Bay area They recently revamped the math program (which was strong before, but needed improvement) and it looks like it has a lot of promise so far.

San Francisco School, The 1

Posted January 12, 2011
Simply said -- Not that great! Over priced and over rated. My child supposedly had an undiscovered "learning challenge" and was asked to leave the school. It took them five years to discover this "problem". Now at a new school, the teacher has command of her class and says my child is very bright, but had not been taught classroom etiquette. You can just talk and walk around when the teacher is teaching. My child now sits and listens and interacts at appropriate times. It is amazing the difference a little adult guidance has had. No learning specialist were needed. Just some good old fashion education.

Posted January 12, 2011
It's interesting reading the comments - the vast majority loves the school. And then there are very negative posts. What I can take from that is that it is important to find the right fit for your child and your family, whatever school you choose. If the fit is not right, it can be a difficult experience. We are extremely happy with the school. We have two kids and have been there for 6 years. We loved the preschool - great montessori program, and loving the elementary program now. It is a wonderfully diverse community, the most diverse - both racially and socio economically of any private school in SF. There is a joy at the school - a real love of learning - that is instilled by the teachers.

Posted November 02, 2010
We love the San Francisco School! Our daughter is in her 2nd yr of preschool and is thriving, happy, loved & so proud of all her new skills & independence. We are so impressed with the teachers. There is a nice balance between years of experience, new energy & warmth amongst them. It s wonderful to feel so satisfied with your child s first teachers and know that such a solid foundation is developing within. We ve also been so impressed with the Montessori approach.Each child has their own desk starting at 3 giving them the comfort of their own space as well as the responsibility for it. It s so refreshing to see the children busy at their desks sorting, working on their letters, pouring water, using their fine motor skills all with such focus & determination. We are so grateful to be a part of this well balanced community. Thank you SFS!

Posted November 02, 2010
The community & staff at the San Francisco School are wonderful. It s a diverse community that is very grounded, good-natured, open minded, committed & participatory. The staff is excellent & Steve Morris the Head of School & the Admissions staff were top of our list for reasons to choose the SF School. Steve s a charismatic leader & his energy & vision are inspirational. We are very lucky to have him. I could go on and on why we are so happy with our decision to be a part of the San Francisco School. There's the teachers, preschool, Montessori approach, campus, organic lunch that is provided each day, outdoor space & environmental education that is incorporated in many different ways, the beautiful art on the walls, Spanish & the amazing music program that is like no other. We are so grateful to be a part of this school and warmly support it.

San Francisco School, The
300 Gaven Street, San Francisco, CA  94134
Last modified San Francisco School, The is a Private school that serves grades K-8
San Francisco School, The Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top