Posted September 13, 2013
We moved to San Francisco from Chicago in the summer of 2012. From the beginning, we have had wonderful interactions with Mrs. Laughlin and her staff of dedicated and professional teachers. The staff has made our daughter feel safe, welcomed, and encouraged her to do her very best every day. Our third grader is academically challenged on a daily basis. She is excelling in math-performing at the fourth grade level. She is reading above her grade as well. The small-sized classroom allow for much greater one-to-one academic interaction with her teachers. This is especially important if your student is not excelling academically. The teachers really care and want every one of their students to succeed. In addition to a strong academic program, Zion offers students learning outside the classroom (which is just as important). There are really interesting field trips scheduled that actually enhance the learning objectives. If you are a parent who wants their child to attend a school where h/she is safe, warm (socially), encouraged (mentally), challenged (academically) and is truly the center and reason for being there, then you should consider Zion.

Zion Lutheran School 3

Posted September 11, 2013
I really like this school! The teachers are all so awesome! I will miss this school when I graduate :(

Zion Lutheran School 4

Posted September 11, 2013
When I went to Zion, I knew that I was welcome. Though it was not a large school, I made many friends. To me, a smaller community means closer relationships. The friends I made became people who will always support me. The teachers helped me whenever I needed assistance in learning. If I didn't understand a concept, I could arrange a meeting with them and we would sit down and figure it out, no matter how long it took. No matter how busy they were, they made time for me, so that I got the best education that I could. Another great thing about Zion is that they know when they do something wrong. If a mistake is made, they will try their hardest to fix it. They have spirit, and they have spunk. The friendly community of Zion just makes you want to smile. You can't help but be happy to be there.

Posted August 26, 2013
Zion Lutheran School is like a family to us. The whole school came together to help my son heal emotionally after surgery. You will not find a more caring staff. Their focus is not just academic but the growth and development of the whole student. They are there for your child through thick and thin.

Posted August 24, 2013
This is a wonderful school where children are nurtured, academics are emphasized and Christian values are taught.

Posted August 23, 2013
Zion is the best private school in SF. My son loves to go to school everyday. The teachers and staff are supportive and helpful. They care for the students. My son learn to take responsibility and independent learning skills. Academically, the school provide a good foundation to learn and excel.

Posted August 23, 2013
Zion offers a great education for an unbelievable price, complete with amazing extra-curricular activities and a wonderful church and parent community. Our eldest daughter graduated from Zion in May 2013, having performed exceptionally well on her high school entrance exams, gaining acceptance at every school to which she applied and being admitted to an honors program. With her Zion preparation, she begins high school in pre-calculus and 2nd year Spanish. But what I appreciate even more, is the training beyond the typical academics. She has grown into a very good public speaker, having delivered multiple oral presentations each year from first through eighth grade. She is a competent singer and actress, having sung in choir all 9 years and performing in the school musical 5 years in a row. All that is topped by two trips to the state finals of the National History Day Competition. Everyone of her teachers loved her well, which has given her an amazing foundation for future learning and growth. Our youngest is receiving the same wonderful education, all in the context of a community in which the parents enjoy spending time together. For us, Zion is a win-win-win.

Posted August 22, 2013
We ve been here since kindergarten; our child is in second grade. The school has been really amazing and my child loves to come to school everyday. Zion offers excellent academics, after school programs such as basketball, academic chess, music, mandarin, Legos and science. It also has small classes and a great community. The teachers and the principal really care about the student s development and growth. We are very happy to have found the school, is home away from home.

Posted August 22, 2013
This is really a hidden gem in San Francisco. The pastor, principle and every teacher are really dedicated to our children's education and upbringing. Every staff knows every child by their first name no matter whether they teach them or not. It always amazes me how this small school's students shine whenever there is any academic competitions. I have heard personally other parents and staffs from other school commented on how well our kids behave outside our school ground. Admittedly this school doesn't have a strong sport curriculum, but the students that participate in sports truly give their all. My child and my family absolutely love this little family.

Posted August 19, 2013
Zion is such a rich environment. It is a school that offers so many programs for children to grow and learn. It is also a close, caring community. Children feel safe, loved, and accepted at Zion. They are academically challenged and are spiritually encouraged to serve and love others. Zion has many activities to engage the children. They include the School musical, Spring Concert, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, Math Counts, as well as the National and local competitions such as National History Day, & Science Fair. Besides going to school, children can join the Yearbook club, Student Council, enroll in the Mandarin program, take chess, piano, violin, guitar, drum, and hand bell lessons. The students go to Outdoor Education programs like Yosemite and Washington DC just to name a few. Integrating technology is the latest upgrade at Zion. All of this would not be possible if it were not for the people involved from the dedicated teachers, staff, Pastor, Principal, and parents. Zion is an amazing "school" . Just look at the kids. They are happy!

Zion Lutheran School
495 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94118
Last modified Zion Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Zion Lutheran School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 53 reviews.