K-8|Private

Bad
Good

I did not think highly of the quality of the teachers my daughter had at Burkes If your daughter loves to learn and is driven to learn, this school is not for you. I think that if your daughter is "average" or below , she will do great! The students spend far too much time on "fun" projects than actual learning. The girls are not expected to try their best or extent themselves in any way in the pursuit of learning. Having said that, the new head of school seems to be very good. The last one from the South was just horrible.

If the last reviewer is 36, she graduated from Burke's more than 20 years ago. I submit that her data is far too old to be relevant today. As a parent of a current Burke's eighth grader, I concur with other positive reviews - Burke's more than fulfills their mission to educate, encourage and empower their girls and they do it thoughtfully and with love and joy. I marvel at the intelligent, confident, capable and caring woman my daughter has become and I know that Burke's played a significant role in her development. My daughter was just accepted to a number of wonderful high schools including her first and second choice and, yet, if she could, she would prefer to spend her high school years at Burke's where she knows the faculty, curriculum, community, and campus meet her every need.

I am 33 year old Burke's graduate, now living in Illinois, and in the process of selecting a school for my own bright and curious daughter. I only wish I could send her to Burkes! From the postings I read, it seems the school continues to challenge, inspire and encourage girls to be their best selves.

I went to Burke's and was utterly miserable there. I don't know how much it has changed since then (I'm 36) but I would NEVER send a child to this school, which I found to be incredibly classist and stratified. My social experience was just awful. I used to go home sobbing every day. I had attended FAIS and the Lycee and never had this feeling from either of those places, and I went on to public high school in OR and then Columbia for college which I loved. Honestly, when I get fundraising letters from Burke's to this day, I feel like ripping them to shreds. It still angers me to remember how little help I got from the school when I felt so miserable there. I think it's a toxic, terrible place. I teach at Stanford now, and I feel like I have decent qualifications to talk about what makes a school good or bad, although clearly my bias is personal.

Burke's is an astounding school in every respect. If offers in incredibly nuturing and intellectually stimulating environment. Every aspect of the curriculum has been designed with the girls' developmental needs and abilities in mind, with a special focus on developing leadership, high motivation, love of learning, and appreciation of cultural and indivdual differences. Our daughter is ecstatic being there and is growing emotionally and academically in leaps and bounds. I can't recommend Burke's highly enough, and I encourage you to check it out regardless of where you live in the city.

Our daughter in first grade is absolutely loving her school, and we do too. As the school motto goes, these girls are encouraged, educated and empowered, and the sense of self-confidence I see in my daughter and her friends is cool )and also kind of scary). So far, the academics have been top-notch, while being presented in a fun way. We are really happy here.

I'm a grad of Burke's, am of minority background, and my family comes from modest means. Burke's played an influential role in my setting high expectations for myself and in teaching me solid values. (I still remember how everyone, no matter what their family background, had to do some clean-up chores.) After Burke's, I attended good schools (Brown and Princeton) and have had a rewarding personal and professional life. My friends from Burke's, with whom I am still close, came from similarly middle-class backgrounds and have had rewarding educational, professional and personal lives, too. If you're lucky enough to get in, and you have the means to go, it's a fantastic school that focuses on developing confident and thinking girls and future leaders.

Burke's is a great school, and has terrific teachers. My daughter is in the 7th grade and loves it. The sports program is stellar; the arts could be better. New campus, beautiful setting.

fabulous teachers, great facility, and getting better. wonderful academics and sports.

The academic program, sports program and teachers alike are excellent at KDBS. There is always an open door to enter when you have questions or concerns. My daughter is in her 9th year at KDBS. As African Americans we were somewhat concerned about the lack of diversity when we joined this community almost 9 years ago. However, the KDBS community fast became our family and friend. And when tragedy hit our family, this community could not have been more uplifting and supportive. It has been an excellent school for our daughter and our family and it is a wonderful place for girls to learn and grow. Parent involvement is very strong at KDBS and highly encouraged.

Last modified Katherine Delmar Burke School is a Private school that serves grades K-8