Katherine Delmar Burke School 2

Posted August 31, 2012
I did not think highly of the quality of the teachers my daughter had at Burkes If your daughter loves to learn and is driven to learn, this school is not for you. I think that if your daughter is "average" or below , she will do great! The students spend far too much time on "fun" projects than actual learning. The girls are not expected to try their best or extent themselves in any way in the pursuit of learning. Having said that, the new head of school seems to be very good. The last one from the South was just horrible.

Posted March 19, 2012
If the last reviewer is 36, she graduated from Burke's more than 20 years ago. I submit that her data is far too old to be relevant today. As a parent of a current Burke's eighth grader, I concur with other positive reviews - Burke's more than fulfills their mission to educate, encourage and empower their girls and they do it thoughtfully and with love and joy. I marvel at the intelligent, confident, capable and caring woman my daughter has become and I know that Burke's played a significant role in her development. My daughter was just accepted to a number of wonderful high schools including her first and second choice and, yet, if she could, she would prefer to spend her high school years at Burke's where she knows the faculty, curriculum, community, and campus meet her every need.

Posted March 19, 2012
I am 33 year old Burke's graduate, now living in Illinois, and in the process of selecting a school for my own bright and curious daughter. I only wish I could send her to Burkes! From the postings I read, it seems the school continues to challenge, inspire and encourage girls to be their best selves.

Katherine Delmar Burke School 2

Posted March 18, 2012
I went to Burke's and was utterly miserable there. I don't know how much it has changed since then (I'm 36) but I would NEVER send a child to this school, which I found to be incredibly classist and stratified. My social experience was just awful. I used to go home sobbing every day. I had attended FAIS and the Lycee and never had this feeling from either of those places, and I went on to public high school in OR and then Columbia for college which I loved. Honestly, when I get fundraising letters from Burke's to this day, I feel like ripping them to shreds. It still angers me to remember how little help I got from the school when I felt so miserable there. I think it's a toxic, terrible place. I teach at Stanford now, and I feel like I have decent qualifications to talk about what makes a school good or bad, although clearly my bias is personal.

Posted September 29, 2010
Burke's is an astounding school in every respect. If offers in incredibly nuturing and intellectually stimulating environment. Every aspect of the curriculum has been designed with the girls' developmental needs and abilities in mind, with a special focus on developing leadership, high motivation, love of learning, and appreciation of cultural and indivdual differences. Our daughter is ecstatic being there and is growing emotionally and academically in leaps and bounds. I can't recommend Burke's highly enough, and I encourage you to check it out regardless of where you live in the city.

Posted September 30, 2008
Our daughter in first grade is absolutely loving her school, and we do too. As the school motto goes, these girls are encouraged, educated and empowered, and the sense of self-confidence I see in my daughter and her friends is cool )and also kind of scary). So far, the academics have been top-notch, while being presented in a fun way. We are really happy here.

Posted April 01, 2008
I'm a grad of Burke's, am of minority background, and my family comes from modest means. Burke's played an influential role in my setting high expectations for myself and in teaching me solid values. (I still remember how everyone, no matter what their family background, had to do some clean-up chores.) After Burke's, I attended good schools (Brown and Princeton) and have had a rewarding personal and professional life. My friends from Burke's, with whom I am still close, came from similarly middle-class backgrounds and have had rewarding educational, professional and personal lives, too. If you're lucky enough to get in, and you have the means to go, it's a fantastic school that focuses on developing confident and thinking girls and future leaders.

Katherine Delmar Burke School 0

Posted March 14, 2008
Burke's is a great school, and has terrific teachers. My daughter is in the 7th grade and loves it. The sports program is stellar; the arts could be better. New campus, beautiful setting.

Katherine Delmar Burke School 1

Posted March 03, 2008

Posted September 04, 2007
fabulous teachers, great facility, and getting better. wonderful academics and sports.

Contact Information

7070 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94121

School website

Katherine Delmar Burke School
7070 California Street, San Francisco, CA  94121
Last modified Katherine Delmar Burke School is a private school that serves grades K-8
Katherine Delmar Burke School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.