Posted October 27, 2013
High school options for East Bay students with Learning Differences are very limited. Sterne School's new high school is a great choice for East Bay families as the school is located on Valencia Street in SF, just a 10 minute walk from the 16th & Mission BART stop. My son has grown in independence, street smarts, self-confidence and simply learning how the world works with this new responsibility of getting himself to school. Sterne faculty and staff rotate daily and provide an escort for those students both to and from the BART station. In addition to the praises sung in the reviews below, commuting on BART has been yet another step in my son learning to be a productive citizen in our society.

Posted October 22, 2013
Sterne School is a safe learning environment for students with learning differences. The teachers, staff members and administrators are all well equipped and educated in ways to make the students learning environment engaging.

Posted October 22, 2013
Sterne School provides individualized instruction for each of its students with an exceptional Faculty and Staff. Our son just started his third year at Sterne and we are very happy with the program there and he very much enjoys school. The Head of School is very experienced and knowledgeable and leads a dynamic, highly skilled and committed Staff. We are very grateful for Sterne School.

Posted October 21, 2013
We rate Sterne school 5 stars! My son entered last year as a very demoralized 7th grader who was failing in the public school system, though he had previously done very well. By the time the year ended, he was a confident outgoing boy again, who was learning and loving it! The individualized homework, stretch goals, executive functioning skills building and one on one coaching by staff make joining the Sterne community one of the best decisions we have ever made for our son and family.

Posted October 20, 2013
Sterne School has been a great place for my son. As a school that understands learning differences, the staff understands how my son learns the best and, knows him, as a unique individual. With its small class size, my son cannot "fall through the cracks" and remain "unnoticed" as it happened in his previous school. It's going to take him some time to "undo" the damage from his previous school, but I already see positive changes in his stress level and better outlook on school as a whole. Tools used to help students learn include iPad technology which is awesome! The school staff really understand how to engage their students and help them become more independent. I highly recommend anyone who has a child with learning differences to check out the school.

Posted October 20, 2013
This is our second year at this school. The head of school is knowledgable and very involved. The teachers, head of school, and parents work like a team, all to make sure the students have the most individualized plan so the can succeed.

Posted October 19, 2013
Best school ever for Irene. Outstanding support and involvement. Teacher offeres help wehere ever they can. Irene for the first time knows what going on in school and likes to go to it. Could have not imagined a better schoole

Posted October 19, 2013
This school is welcoming to all learning differences and backgrounds. After years of "I hate school" to "I feel valued" from my son is worth twice the price.

Sterne School 4

Posted October 19, 2013
Sterne provides a small, nurturing environment for kids with learning differences. The teachers are all current on the latest LD research and tools, and are committed to making each kid successful. If you have had parent/teacher conferences where the teachers have more questions than answers or seem exasperated or plain stumped by your child's needs, you will appreciate a very different experience here at Sterne. I attribute the school's unique cultural to its head, Ed McManis. Ed is incredibly knowledgeable on LD but unlike other school leaders I have experienced, has no ego. He is building the school to serve the kids and broader community, not his personal brand. As a result all constituents--parents, teachers, kids and administrators--feel heard and feel a shared sense of ownership for the school and its mission.

Posted October 19, 2013
The Sterne School is OUTSTANDING! The teachers are WONDERFUL. The use of technology is AMAZING. I can't think of a better place for our daughter to go to high school! She is excited to go in and learn each day. Honestly, we could not ask for a better high school experience for our daughter!

Sterne School
2690 Jackson Street, San Francisco, CA  94115
Last modified Sterne School is a Private school that serves grades 5-12
Sterne School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.