5-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (4 responses)

Posted May 24, 2016
Mr. Marti, Mr. Davies, Miss Rebecca and Mr. Bendon. They are my favorite teachers although I could go on naming at least five more teachers at Sterne. They make learning fun.

Posted May 24, 2016
I have had a great time at this school while learning more than I ever have before. - Mariana (8th Grade)

Posted May 24, 2016
We feel a true sense of gratitude to our son's teacher, Ms. Comley. She is truly invested in helping the students rise to their fullest potential. She is a team player and is open to suggestions. She was always willing to meet and talk about our son. She is open and honest and helped our son regain confidence in himself. He felt supported and felt understood and, even when he was struggling, he did not feel judged and knew that Ms. Comley was there to help him figure things out. He is much happier this year and much of this is due to the support and encouragement from his teacher, Ms. Comley!

Posted May 24, 2016
Caroline Comley is my son's main teacher at Sterne. She is a treasure. She communicates well with us about how our son is doing. She made our son feel so comfortable and accepted when he started Sterne as a new student in 7th grade. Having her as his teacher helped him adapt quickly to the new environment. She understands learning differences and helps each student figure out how they can use their strengths to succeed at school.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted May 23, 2016
Ed McManis is the Head of my son's school. Having left a school last year due to bullying, my son came to Sterne school a shell of his former self. He was anxious, worried and his self confidence had been badly diminished. Ed took him in and reminded my son every day that he was going to thrive and succeed at Sterne. Ed goes beyond what is expected - whether he is helping Hayes write a journal in his office or helping him talk through his worries, Ed does what it takes to help Hayes. Ed has never raised his voice, nor is he ever punitive. He steers our son in the kindest and most profound way. Recently, he recommended my son for a National Leadership program in Washington DC this summer. And my son, who couldn't sleep alone last year because of anxiety, is now flying by himself to this conference. He told me "If Ed thinks I can do it, then I can do it!" Our son is back to his former self. He is engaged, happy, confident and wants to succeed. I credit Ed for being the conduit for that transformation and I am eternally grateful for his dedication and grace.

Posted May 23, 2016
Ed is at the helm and creates a nuturing environment for every student to flourish in the way they should.

Posted November 09, 2015
Our son is a high school student at Sterne. The teachers are accessible and push him to his highest potential while supporting him while he navigates through social issues. Already in 10th grade, both teachers and counselors are exposing us to colleges and strongly encouraging early exploration. Sterne is WASC certified and also UC A-G certified, so our son has the potential to go anywhere he can get accepted. We are so grateful for the support of administrative staff and faculty. Big school goals with small school advantage. A place where everyone knows our son. It is so special to be at a school where our kids with LD are the center of the stage and not on the periphery. We are so grateful to have Sterne for our son and family.

Posted November 09, 2015
Mr. Burnaugh for creating an engaging science class and for taking extra personal time to lead the club that our son asked to start.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 09, 2015
Our son is learning his subject matter and connects to what the teachers convey. We hear stories from the classroom all the time and in particular those where teachers share their personal stories to make a point. They know how to reach our kids. Other schools don't have this type of leadership in LD.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted November 09, 2015
As a school that specializes in LD, Sterne meets the students where they are. Sometimes persistence, grit and determination are long goals. The first greatest gift from Sterne is the reduction of anxiety which enables our kids to learn. After that they reinforce self advocacy and provide our kids with tools to function in the world as different learners. These are remarkable skills developed at Sterne.

2690 Jackson Street, San Francisco, CA  94115