No rating

San Gabriel Mission High School

Private | 9-12

Living in San Gabriel

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $432,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,450.

Sweep tile

Posted November 3, 2013

Este es el primer ano para mi hija en Mission High School, las espectativas que teniamos de esta escuela desde el comienzo del ano han sido mas de lo que esperabamos. Desde la atencion que ofrecen los maestros asta atencion que el principal ofrece. Estamos muy orgullosos de pertenecer a esta escuela. 5 estrellas bien merecidas :)

Posted October 9, 2013

My daughter's experience at Mission has been very positive. She has made many good friends. Mission is very good about bring the ladies together and forming a true sisterhood. The staff and teachers are great and very welcoming :)

Posted October 9, 2013

I have a daughter who is currently attending Mission High School. She is currently in her Junior year. She is currently taking 2 Advance Placement Classes and 1 honors class. On top of that she is involved with Sports & 2 Clubs. I know that all of these things will help her get into her college of choice. Each grade has a monthly Advisment meeting to discuss what path they have to be on to acheive that goal. While she does face a hard year ahead of her she knows that this is what she needs. She is very challenged with her courses and receives the positive reinforcment at school to what we give here at home. Her counselor always shares her positive academic achievements as well as checking in with her on her personal life to make sure everything is going well. I am beyond pleased with Mission!

Posted October 9, 2013

This is my daughter's second year at Mission. I have been very pleased with both the administration and the teachers. Though my daughter has struggled she has always been able to get the much needed resources. The teachers are extremely motivated and I have always had a great response when contacting any of them. The website is wonderful, we have complete access to grades as well as school assignments. Even though I live blocks away from a prominent coed private school, I know this was the right choice for my daughter and don't mind driving 20 minutes out because of the education she is receiving. The school is pursuing authorization as an IB World School and this is definitely a plus in any high school education..

Posted October 5, 2013

My daughter is a sophomore at Mission. She is very challenged by the classes she is taking, as she is in three AP courses. I was very worried about the pressures of being in a lot of advanced classes, but her teachers have been working with her time management. The counselor even meets with her during lunch to offer advice. I am very happy with this school, and I would recommend it. It is value for money and the education is top notch.

Posted October 2, 2013

I am so proud that my daughter is a graduate of Mission. She is now in her first year at college and is doing very well. The teachers at Mission are wonderful, the counselors are very helpful and the way the school communicates with us parents is more than I expected. My youngest daughter who is in middle school can't wait to attend Mission and play on the soccer team.

Posted September 17, 2013

This school is not the school to send your child to. For the price I paid it was not even worth half of it. Very unorganized staff that seems to care more about money then education. If you want your child to be ready for college then send her else where. Most of the teachers here seem to have no experience in teaching. The school makes you do mandatory fundraisers just to get more money & attend meetings that were a waste of time. With all the money they collect I never saw one improvement. The worst part is the gym has no AC and the cafeteria serves unhealthy food and from what I understand is infested with cockroaches. I'm glad I've taken her out and she's now somewhere better for half the cost of this school.

Posted September 28, 2009

Mission High has been Nothing But a POSITIVE influence for my daughter..She will be graduating this year 2010...and she even wishes there were a couple more years left in her high school career..she loves everyone there!! from staff to all students...the enviornment within the school walls is a family type enviornment..everyone knows everytone..The principle and ALL his staff and faculty there has done nothing but positive things for the school...this is his fourth year there..and what can u say...everywhere you look at mission there is some kind of change..POSITIVE change..come by Mission High if you are interested in attending the high school..and see for yourself..Go Mission

Posted September 25, 2009

San Gabriel Mission High School is a great place to send your Daughter. The Principal is always striving for improvements, in regards, to the teachers, faculty, staff, facilities and the well being of the students. It's great place to be and visit. School spirit is high and students are happy and proud to call SGMHS there home away from home. We are also the only School in the League to have an active Booster Club which is great. The Boosters are fundraising all the time to help keep the cost down of all families for there Daughters that are enrolled into a sports program. Go Mission Boosters!

Posted September 25, 2009

I have had two daughters attend San Gabriel Mission High School and I could not be happier with their experience at the school. SGMHS not only focuses on academic excellence; but on becoming a well rounded young woman. I'm very proud of my girls and I have SGMHS to thank for all their support and guidance.

Posted September 25, 2009

SGMHS is thriving and can be extremely proud of all its recent enhancements, like a new floor in the auditorium, a completely redone sports field, and remodeled restrooms. In addition, SGMHS is one of the few high schools to be using smart boards and the principal of the last three years is very innovative and passionate about making this school the best in the San Gabriel Valley!

Posted July 23, 2009

I have been teaching for about ten years, the last 3 at this school. I find the students positive, thoughtful, and creative. The school has a strict uniform and cell phone police. My fellow teachers are constantly looking for ways to better the instruction. There are few teachers in other schools that can say this- I know almost all the students in the school by name and a good deal of their parents, too. The school is thriving and for many first-years it is their 1st choice.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 21, 2009

I am a parent of an alum if SGMHS. Her older sister attended another all girls high school that was perfect for her, but when it came to our youngest daughter we told her that she is her own person with her own likes so we supported her in her high school decision, and we are so happy of her choice. She immediately preferred the feeling of 'family' at MHS as we did. She jumped into high school with both feet, and family can get as involved with the school as they want..which we, of course, did! Our daughter was mainly attracted to the science department (which is awesome!) as well as the sports department which she is proud to still help out when she can. Now as a senior in a small Catholic University in Honolulu, HI her love for sciences continues as does her love and pride for MHS!

Posted May 21, 2009

SGMHS is a GREAT school! No overcrowded classrooms, no major budget cuts, no programs cuts, and their educational system is not broken. My daughter loves her school. And my youngest daughter can't wait to go there! The principal and faulty are so down to earth. In fact, at a recent parent dance...nobody wanted to go home!

Posted May 21, 2009

I have a daughter who will be a Senior there in the Fall and she loves the school, administration and the faculty, which speaks well for SGMHS. A student will only get as much out a school as she puts into it, it is a two-way street the teachers can do so much it is up to the student to want and make the effort to excel in their academics and enjoy their time SGMHS. I am very happy with SGMHS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MISSION!

Posted May 21, 2009

I'm an alumni of MHS and I was happy yet apprehensive when my daughter insisted in going to Mission. This was a big decision, but the right one. In less than a year, she has blossomed into a very confident young lady. She knows every student, teacher and staff's name. She has improved her study skills and finally understands the importance in doing well in all her classes. She feels comfortable asking for help from her teachers. We both went to Europe last month with the school and that was an educational and fun experience! Principal is amazing!!! He listens to each individual and quickly implements many of our suggestions. Every decision he makes is for the good of our girls and that inspires us all tremendously.

Posted May 21, 2009

My Daughter will be a graduate of the Class of 2009. She is a well rounded self thinker, walking away as woman of integrity and strong faith. Her experience at San Gabriel Mission has prepared her for her next stage of life. The faculty and staff genuinely care about the student. My daughter is a proud product of a great school community.

Posted May 21, 2009

I m very happy to have my daughter at San Gabriel Mission High School for two years, because they have excellent Staff and Teachers. Teachers plan, and prepare lessons, using classroom presentations or individual instruction to help students learn and apply concepts in subjects such as science, mathematics, or English. Teachers also grade papers, prepare report cards, and meet with parents and school staff to discuss a student s academic progress or personal problems. Mission is a Family Catholic School dedicated to opening young minds to the powerful combination of spirituality and academics. Hector Guerrero

Posted May 7, 2009

As a graduate of Mission High, I was overjoyed when my 2 daughters chose this school. Both are currently attending, and they are getting an excellent education and are very active in the sports program. This is one of the best high schools around and should not be sold short because it is 'affordable.' The outstanding education and welcoming atmosphere far exceed the tuition price. Our principal of the past 3 years brought new life to the school, and parent involvement is high. With all the positivity, the girls are excelling and are wonderful ambassadors of a great educational environment.

Posted May 7, 2009

Great caring staff and parent involvement with their academics. It was a pleasure being involved with the whole academic environment. These teachers really care and help them in giving them direction to their post secondary careers. Not a waste of time or money. My child made the right choice and has a great future ahead because of the preparation she received at Mission. Values and morals also learned was an added benefit for her in life.

Ethnicity This school
Black 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles