No rating

San Gabriel Christian

Private | K-8 | 340 students

The school is known for caring for children and encouraging their strengths.

Living in San Gabriel

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $606,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,620.

School Official Point of View

Posted January 22, 2013

San Gabriel Christian offers a quality education that gives students a foundation in Christ and cares for individual student needs. Because of the support of San Gabriel Community Church the school is able to offer this at a price below that of comparable schools. Our full music, art, physical education, library and resource room programs give students many opportunities to explore their gifts. Our Rosetta Stone language learning lab allows students to choose from 25 languages that they wish to study. In addition to academic support programs, the school also offers advanced classes to meet student needs on both ends of the spectrum. The school is ethnically diverse in both its faculty and student body. We believe that education is a partnership between parents and the school and desire to include them in the educational process. Come and see for yourself!

Posted June 7, 2014

horrible there has bee lotsof bullying and the principles and teachers seem to care less! very extremist in religion and discriminating to non asian students. my childis very behind on the normal school education. my child comes home every night crying and wishing they went to another school. i regretted sending my child to this school. the old principle was bad and so is the new one, but frankly the new principle hands out candy to children and basically bribes them to like him. they are getting rid of the three greatest teachers this year and if you dont go to the church you are second class. the yard aids need a child treatment class right away. too much homework not enough learning. my child is two years behind and in "advanced" classes.

Posted February 26, 2014

This school has been outstanding for many years. The administration has changed and I can no longer recommend the school. Quality of teachers is quickly diminishing and school climate is changing. If you don't attend the church, you are a second class citizen. There is a lot of hypocrisy and dishonesty from administration.

Posted February 18, 2014

All three of my children attended this school. It was the best school for a Christ centered education. My last child attended most recently and I was very satisfied with the loving teachers, teacher student ratio and the academics. I would definitely do it again. The school has a new principal this year and there have been some changes, but the one thing that never changes is the Bible as a foundation for living a Christ centered life. For what does a man profit if he should gain the whole world and lose his life? (Matthew 16:26) As parents we have to ask ourselves: What is the real priority in sending our children to be educated outside of the home? Additional questions to ask, who is the educator, what is their life's testimony, will my child feel loved, encouraged? Oh yes, and with that foundation, and your parent involvement, your child will be right where he/she belongs. Best wishes.

Posted June 21, 2013

I deeply regret it when I registered my son in this mediocre school. Their Math, Science and English teachers are incompetent. I have to paid a lot of money for summer school in another place for him to be ready for his freshman year in HS. They are behind 2 years from public schools. shame on them

Posted March 11, 2013

This school really is a gem! One of its strongest asset is the principal. Her spirit of love for students and care for families pervades the campus. In addition, she has all the skills needed to create an educational program that is challenging and focused on student needs. I have been at other schools and this is a combination that is difficult to find these days! Highly recommend!

Posted February 27, 2013

I have two children at SGCS and am very impressed not only by the academic atmosphere but also by the caring and dedicated teachers and staff. The principal truly does know everyone by name! The environment is warm, inviting, and inclusive. My husband and I searched carefully for a school as academic achievement is of high importance to us. After applying to top tier private schools in the Pasadena area (secular and religious) and having our child (had only one then) accepted by all, we chose SGCS and have not regretted it for one second. Each child is seen as an individual and encouraged to reach acedemic goals and be their very best- character formation is also a focus- teachers are caring, sensitive, yet firm and consistent in their discipline, providing an optimal environment for learning and personal growth. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Posted January 22, 2013

This school meets all the qualifications for a great school. It has excellent teachers, two-thirds of whom have Master degrees. All are credentialed and have additional training in Bible education. The school has received accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and from the Association of Christian Schools International affirming its high quality educational program and leadership. In addition the school has strong support from its families that return year after year. The graduation rate of students from eighth grade who started in Kindergarten is very high as compared to other private schools. There is a culture of care and concern on the campus combined with training children in respect and self control.

Posted July 8, 2012

This school has become nothing but an overall disappointment. Please save your money and put your child or children in another school. Both of my children attended San Gabriel Christian and I had pulled them out and I m happy with this decision. The teachers were difficult to communicate with at times. You only get quality education depending on which teacher you have. It s very inconsistent. One teacher gave weekly homework and then expected the parents to practically teach them for example, Site Words, Math, Bible Memory etc. This did not include more Math homework, Book Reports and Language Arts packets for homework. Their after-school care has teachers that are very caring towards your children, but unfortunately they don't focus on homework much with very little help to finish it appropriately. I felt sorry for the children who had fulltime working parents who picked their children up at 6:00 p.m. Those parents spent many hours doing homework after school and barely had time for their children to do anything else. This is not a school for two parents who work fulltime.

Posted February 19, 2012

I have to say that my experience at SGCS was LOW quality. The education and the student quality are terrible. Please don't send your child to SGCS. Even some of the teachers are biased and discriminatory (and remember...this is a CHRISTIAN school). Contradictions are written all over the place for a school like this to be called a 'Christian' school.

Posted January 7, 2012

SGCS offers a attentive teachers who teach a challenging curriculum. The principal is wonderful, and makes herself available to families. She seems to know everyone's name by heart somehow! When you walk onto the campus you are greeted by a warm, caring staff. It's comforting to know your child is in a place so loving. I wouldn't choose any other school for my child.

Posted December 21, 2011

I was very disappointed in my child's experience at San Gabriel Christian. The academic standards are lower than we expected and the quality of the program was also poor. Frankly, my child was receiving a much better education when he was in a public school. I do not recommend San Gabriel Christian.

Posted March 31, 2011

For parents considering this school, do not put too much faith in the rating number because as soon as a parent posts about an experience and especially if that experience is negative, someone from the school's parent board will immediately counter that post with a high rating, thus keeping most private schools on this site at a rating of 4 out of 5 stars (statistically not really possible because that means that all private schools are excellent yet the price per school and the number of students who apply versus the number who are accepted ranges much more than the ratings). Out of character room, will post a part II. Things to remember: interview the principal about his or her background and philosophy, ask about how many students return year after year, especially after grade 5 because if the school is not performing that is usually when parents will find an alternative school, and finally sit in on a few classes to get a feel for the teachers and their abilities. I know that a parent involved with the school and the church will quickly counter this review and post a 5 star rating which keeps it at a 4/5.

Posted February 26, 2011

This happened six years ago. It was a nightmare when my child was at SGCS. I still have tears coming down when I have to repeat what had happened to my child at SGCS. He was at pre K and was bullied everyday. The teacher was incompetent. She has young kid herself and was absent at least once or twice a week. The only time she said something positive about my child was after we gave her a gift for her birthday. She did not do anything to stop the bullies. I reported to the principal and she sided with the teacher. The staffs (including teachers and principal) at SGCS sent out wish list during holidays and they expect gifts from parents. If they are Christian school, they certainly did not practice what they believe. My child was bitten by the bully so bad that I have to take him to the doctor. We finally move my kid after six months of cruel treatment.

Posted December 3, 2010

I am also an alumni, class of 2000. Perhaps the previous alumni to post is talking about the quality of the history education after my experience there, as the middle school history teacher was nearing the end of her career, but was an excellent teacher. While things may have changed in the 10 years since I have attended SGCS, Out of my graduating class(~80) that I have kept in contact with over Facebook, I can think of 8 ivy league graduates, at least 10 graduates of UCLA/USC, and a few others that went to the likes of MIT, CalTech, and Johns Hopkins. While not everyone ended up attending a top tier university, nothing about SGCS's academic programs should be considered a liability for long term academic success.

Posted November 27, 2010

I will have to disagree with most of the reviews here. I am a alumni from SGCS and I would have to say, this school is a joke. As much about the Christian curriculum and etc, the educational training from SGCS did not help me during my freshman year at a top private high school. Middle school English and History would usually consist of writing persuasive arguments at other schools, but at SGCS, we didn't have that training. We would complete drawing projects for history when a history curriculum is strongly based on writing. For middle school English in SGCS, we would complete essays BUT the teachers never really gave us complete feedback about our grammar or writing style. If you want to invest in a high quality private school education, seek schools around the Pasadena area. Compared to other private schools and even some public schools, SGCS ranks lowest (I'm being truthful). Most of them are pricey, but DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER than SGCS. I would say, SGCS is your last resort.

Posted April 12, 2010

Wonderful, caring principal! Well-rounded education! Great families!

Posted December 19, 2009

I love this school personally. The teachers are great, the students are nice, and the principal is awesome. Both choir and music teachers know exactly what they're talking about too. Im extremely fond of the choir. It lets you perform not only inside the school but at bookstores, cathedrals, schools, (etc.) The music in the Parks program is superb you get to sing your hearts out and you get to go to disneyland after. It's a bit pricey but it is worth it! Our music teacher also leads the instrumental classes. She teaches them very well. Her students in beginning classes are sometimes better than other school's intermediate classes. The art teacher is just wonderful. You don't just draw in art class you learn about the history of art and he teaches you how to improve.I like every single part of SGCS field trips, students, and teachers.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 5, 2009

This school is nothing compared to any school that my son has been to. The local Montessori's have nothing over this amazing school. The school invites parents to be involved and they often communicate open and honestly with the parents. They truly practice love and discipline as a perfect balance. The kids learn morals, respect and the teachers and the school overall does not tolerate bullying in any way shape or form. If a student dislikes this school, it's probably because they are a student who had a distaste and disrespect for discipline. Sorry to hear that students are bashing the school here on this site. But, every parent I've spoken to love love this school. It really makes sense why the school's scores are in the top 20% in the nation! The school has all the elements of making a success out of their students.

Posted September 26, 2009

This school is an amazing place for children to grow up and really experience a full and wonderful childhood. The principal really cares about each child and family. Teacher turn over is extremely low and full families send all their children to SGCS. The loyalty to SGCS gives the school a great small town feel and after finishing 8th grade a few students go on to top private high schools but most go to Maranatha or their local public school for cost reasons. This is a great value school!

Posted September 11, 2009

It is not only startling to see so many positive reviews but to also see so many with spelling errors submitted by parents. Maybe that is why they like the school though as it is not academically strong. The teacher quality ranges from fantastic to acceptable (it is really luck of the draw). The principal does not lead or represent a cohesive school policy. Sadly, the attrition rate is astronomical. If you are interested in this school, ask the principal how many students come back for one, two, three more years. It seems there is a new crop of students every fall and they don't stay. We tried this school and we gave it a great deal of family comittment, but we joined the families who decided not to stay.

Asian or Pacific Islander 59% 11%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 3:00 p.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Jon Bialon
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom