San Jose, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 24, 2014
We just finished up our 6th year at Holy Family and its been great for us. You will not regret sending your kids here and it is well worth it. I was skeptical at first and was inclined to save a few bucks sending the kids to public school but I'm glad I didn't in the end after seeing how my kids have developed at HF. These are some of the attributes which differentiate besides the academics: Extracurricular activities such as FLL Lego Robotics (4 teams), Public Speaking, inter-school sports (Football, Basketball, Track, Volleyball), excellent occupational therapy services for kids who need it, girl/cub/boy scouting (Go 286!), real sense of community with the parish, parent involvement is encouraged and of course, spirituality. There is more but these are my favorites. You also have the opportunity to guide the direction of the school through various councils such as finance, tech and school advisory. Point is, there is plenty of opportunity to voice concerns, have them heard and get some action especially if you participate in the community. The principal is very approachable and greets everyone, every morning.

Holy Family School 1

Posted July 04, 2014
I attended Holy Family School before switching to another school. Some teachers and aides seem to be happiest when making kids feel bad. Homework is assigned and not explained and most teachers don't want to offer extra help. And, there is no one to go to for help when teachers mistreat you.

Posted June 12, 2014
We just finished our first year at Holy Family School after transferring my kids over from another school. I cannot say enough good things about it - community, academics and spirituality all roled into one. If you are searching for a new school, consider HF. We had teachers who were involved and responsive to our children's needs. It seems from reading some of these reviews that some people have had negative experiences, that can occur at any school. Children are not cookie cutters and not every parent is looking for the same things in their kids' education. No school is perfect and no school is a great match for every child either. But for us it worked and can only speak wonders - go check it out for yourself.

Holy Family School 1

Posted January 12, 2014
It appears that in November an effort was made to recruit a few happy families or faculty members who are also parents to post 5 star reviews. I would strongly urge prospective families to pay close attention to the earlier negative reviews. The primary grades are better than the upper grades and many people end up staying just because they don't want to switch schools after making friends and getting settled at a school but this school fosters a toxic environment. Kids and teachers bully children and there is no action taken. The administration is great at selling their story but there is no substance behind it; look into the specifics of their programs (such as Spanish, computers, art and music) and see that there is little depth. And, if you ever encounter a problem, they will do nothing to help you solve it. Don't get fooled by the PR .
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 10, 2013
We have had our children at Holy Family for the past decade and it is an excellent school. The community is welcoming, the administration is superb, and the teachers are caring. Is it perfect, no - but there is no school that is 100%. There have been isolated incidents of bullying, but these were dealt with fairly and swiftly and the school has a comprehensive anti-bullying program. Several parents have written poor reviews, but we would urge prospective families to see beyond the grudges of the few. Come to an open house at Holy Family and ask the students themselves if you want an unedited truthful answer about our school. Bottom line: we have found at Holy Family what hundreds of other families have found: great education, great values, and best of all, a wonderful community!

Posted November 08, 2013
I'm very happy w Holy Family. We had a bullying issue w my child and it was dealt with swiftly. They really encourage the children to communicate amongst each other. The academics are high and I am very happy with how my child is doing. I also love the sense of community here.

Posted November 04, 2013
Our family has been a member of the Holy Family School community for the last 5 years and have had a wonderful experience. Too many excellent factors to list: academic excellence and strong curriculum, helpful and supportive community, safe environment, small class sizes, individual attention to the students, communicative teachers & staff. We look forward to our kids growing up in the Holy Family School community and become very well prepared for their high school years. If you are looking for a place that is safe, nurturing, with strong academics and an amazing community, look no further.

Posted November 03, 2013
Holy Family is a wonderful school and community. I have been a part of this community for the last three years. I have loved the opportunities given to my two children. They have Spanish, music, art, and PE weekly. The technology available to the students is on going. There are projectors and doc cams in all the classrooms. My children are challenged both academically and faithfully. I am excited about the sense of community I feel every time I set foot on campus. I love the ministries, sports, extra curricular activities that are offered to the students. This community has strong parental involvement that focus on best interests for all students. I am a proud Holy Family parent, and I am so grateful for the opportunity my children have to grow in the Catholic faith at such an amazing school.

Holy Family School 4

Posted November 03, 2013
Holy Family School has been an excellent educational experience for my two children. We have been at Holy Family School since 2004, and my oldest is now a successful student at Bellarmine. Over the years, the teachers have been friendly, supportive, and they provide a challenging curriculum. We have enjoyed the friendly environment of other families and the opportunity to get involved in a variety of school and parish activities. Both of my children have been involved in sports as well as student council and community service projects. Over the past two years, Holy Family has provided a stronger foreign language program. If you are looking for a school with a safe environment that puts the children at the forefront of education, then Holy Family will be a good fit for you and your child.

Posted October 24, 2013
We've been at Holy Family for five years and have two children attending. We absolutely love it. The community is very warm and welcoming--very down to earth. The teachers we've had, while having different teaching styles, have all been excellent--approachable and committed to helping each child succeed. The academics are rigorous but not over-the-top. There are resources and programs to help students who need extra help or extra challenge. My children have benefitted from field trips and extracurricular programs and activities, which are offered at every grade level. They have also had access to many different forms of technology: tablets, laptops, etc. I've never felt like we were lacking. The administration, like any administration, has a tough job dealing with the challenges of balancing budgets in a rough economy, making tough decisions on where to focus resources, dealing with so many different families, etc, but I feel they do it fairly and appropriately. They have also been very approachable. No school is perfect, but we couldn't be happier with Holy Family. In talking to the local Catholic high schools, Holy Family alums are highly regarded.

Holy Family School