Branham High School

Public | 7-12 | 1386 students

Posted June 24, 2014

I've been pleasantly surprised by Branham. My daughter just finished her Freshman year and loves the school, its activities, and the student population. The only issue was a first-year teacher we complained about that administrators are attempting to coach. This is the only teacher that my daughter has ever not liked. Hopefully her experience with this teacher will not dampen her interest in the topic. Branham was firm in keeping my daughter in the class when we requested to move her.

Posted May 8, 2014

Our experience has been disheartening. There is serious grade inflation going on because of Standards Based grading where a student can retake tests. It might help the mediocre student but for those who need to buckle down (discipline) and study and get it right the first time, it is a disaster. They want to be "cutting edge" and be the "first" in the area to make this work....our kids are being used as experimental rats in a horribly flawed system. If I had known, I would have moved before subjecting my kids to this messed up system. Think of it..colleges don't let you retake tests! There are great teachers (Nguyen, Johannsen, Fernandez (an absolute gem) and then there are others who will remain nameless. The culture is stifling and there is a fair amount of mean spirited bullying going on and although I realize this happens everywhere this school's administration is more focused about getting every student to participate in AP classes so that they can take credit for a school with improved ratings, than fostering an environment of kindness and child focused. Kids need advice about their lifestyle before taking on a huge AP load. Much better AP & College counsel needed.

Posted April 17, 2014

Branham is a friendly outgoing school. It has really been great for my son who is now graduating this summer. The new principal and assistant principal work great together and have really striven to push the school and academics forward. More AP classes being started this year. The teachers have been both good and bad, but nothing is perfect.

Posted December 13, 2013

Must say our experience at Branham the last several years has been excellent. The change from 4 years ago has been remarkable and the teachers do a great job. I do question the administration the last year and a half. There is a huge push to put every student in at least one AP class. While this works for our kids and many others it is not helping students to put them in a position to fail. The administration has an agenda now and not sure it is always in the best interest of the school. There are political agendas that seem to be affecting decisions. Hopefully Branham can continue to excel and not decline with this new direction. Still would recommend this school but not as highly as before.

Posted August 30, 2013

Branham high has excellent admin staff and new principal is very devoted. This school has gone through lots of reform for better in terms of remodeling and academic excellence. Counselling program is superb!

Posted August 12, 2013

I am about to enter my junior year at Branham. It could be a lot better, but it could also be a lot worse. Many of the electronics need replacing, the buildings need remodeling (a bigger gym would be especially nice, considering our large student body - it's stifling during the MANY and UNNECESSARY rallies), and a more sincere effort could be made by the staff members (especially the counselors) to consider individual student's needs and concerns. Some teachers are much more qualified than others, and it definitely shows. However, while I am on this subject I feel the need to mention that the single best teacher I've ever encountered in my life instructs here. Compared to Leigh and a few others in the area - but especially the former - the student body is much more accepting and openly kind to others. The school is ethnically diverse and gay-friendly. Yes, there are the bullies and drama queens, but this happens everywhere. It is not a specific trait of Branham. Overall, this school isn't amazing academically or aesthetically. But if you're looking for a kind student body, helpful teachers, and opportunities to participate in community activities, you should consider Branham.

Posted June 4, 2013

I have two kids at Branham. Both kids have had a wonderful experience. We have found the teachers and administrators to be kind caring and helpful. In regards to retaking tests, It's all about learning the material and getting It down. My kids have mastered their subjects.

Posted May 26, 2013

I am concerned about hte use oft he Pickering/ EFFECTS style grading that waters down the grades. Studnets are allowed to take the same test over again multiple times. My student's Spanish teacher gives a C grade for knowing 20 words. The english teachers re- adminster the same tests for full credit. This is not typical at other schools in our area. our son is a high achiever, but I am afraid he is getting a sub-standard education compared to Leland, Leigh HS and Lynbrook , where the academics are much more challenging.

Posted May 16, 2013

Branham really tries to keep kids engaged, keep the standard high and promote high academic excellence. We have been in the music department for 2 years and the kids are excelling! The instructor can be a bit challenging though. The test scores include the special ed. which not all high schools in the area have to do so the scores aren't really an indicator. The front office lady is mean and unhelpful... come on Branham... replace her!

Posted May 8, 2013

this is not the school that put students first and looking how to help them to be successful and motivated. The stuff is superficial and will not look how to help student. The stuff have not professional attitude to help students in a very important live period.

Posted August 29, 2012

This school has gotten better and better as the years go by. They have always had an excellent, extremely involved young staff, particularly in the History Department, but more recently in Math, English, Special Needs etc. In 2010 we got a new Athletic Director who has done wonders for the athletic department. He has helped triple the size of the Athletic Boosters, organized the coaches, streamlined processing of athletes and much more. He is extremely present and active on campus. In 2011 we got a new Activities Director who has started to make significant changes and boost school spirit and participation in events. He has an excellent relationship with teachers, parents and students. In 2012, just a month ago, Branham hired a new principal who has reignited the staff, been present at almost every function on campus, is enthused about changing Branham and is direct, confident and enthusiastic. This school continues to thrive, and test scores rise (although that isn't really a wonderful indicator of a healthy school) even with little money and support from the district and I continue to be impressed more and more each year.

Posted August 15, 2012

I've just begun going to this school, and my emotions about it are a bit mixed. The school offers great academics, but the teachers are the kind that are hard on grading and leave you a bit on your own. The campus and facilities are great though.

Posted August 1, 2012

I don't really enjoy the atmosphere of the school, but then that's my problem. I think that this place could use some remodeling, because I think the brick walls are pretty ugly, but the teachers are great and the people here are pretty nice

Posted May 18, 2012

Teachers and administration are appallingly closed-minded. Grading makes no sense whatsoever and puts A+ students at the same level as D- ones. Unfriendly atmosphere. Forces students to participate in school events for a grade. I would not recommend this school.

Posted March 29, 2011

Hi out there! If your child is an 8th grader and your child is a musician...I would recommend Branham over Leigh in a HEART BEAT! The music directors at Branham have a great deal more experience than those at Leigh. The Leigh band director is a rookie and does not know how to teach music at all. Diane Wyant, the Branham director, has been teaching for almost 25 years and runs a tight ship! She is in fact THE director that built Leigh High School years ago and gave them the reputation as being an award winning program. So if you want your music student to be in the BEST hands...choose Branham! We did and we are excited about our child's future as a musician. Ms. Wyant is amazing and Ms. West the choir director really knows her stuff!

Posted January 28, 2011

Branham High school is top notch!! If your child is a musician, the Royal Alliance Marching Band is a GREAT place for them to be. Diane Wyant, the director of bands, is a CLASS ACT!!!! She works hard to instill all the values WE as PARENTS know are necessary for OUR KIDS to SUCEED!!!! THE BAND is the HEART of this SCHOOL!!! TOP NOTCH!!!! A TRUE class ACT!!!!!

Posted January 28, 2011

Branham High School is the diamond of the district. It has a small, private school feel with some VERY impressive programs. This school offers a music program that is taught by a veteran music teacher of 24 years...she is truly amazing. The symphonic band is the only one in the district that has received top ratings by the state music teachers association. The director here is the director that began Leigh's program more than a decade ago. The history department is second to none...the backgrounds on these teachers are amazing and incredibly impressive. Also...Branham offers a leadership program offered by Rich Alipaz that tops anything else in CUHSD...he is a Genius!!!!!

Posted January 28, 2011

I have a student that attends Price Middle School. I am very excited also about my child attending Branham High School next year for the Marching Royal Alliance Band. I met Diane Wyant. She is very good teacher and my daughter very much like her. I look forward to attending Branham High School in the upcoming year.

Posted March 3, 2010

I am currently a freshmen at Branham High School and I couldn't be happier with the education I am getting here here. I hang out with cream of the crop kids every day and have a sense the my teachers really care about me. I wouldn't have expected so much success in high school, my teachers and councilors really guided me to where I am now. This school has made it very easy for me to transition to high school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 14, 2009

I graduated Branham High School in 2008, and am so thankful i'm out. Aside from the one teacher I had that actually cared about her students in the four years I attented, the teachers could care less about you. Ms. Barger is an amazing teacher who truely cares for her students, if she didn't teach there I would rate this school with no stars. I definitely feel like the teachers are on their own power trip and love being able to tell students what to do, just because they can. Now that I am in college, I couldn't be happier.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

191 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

298 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Students with no reported disability41%
Fluent-English proficient and English only35%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)43%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

369 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1570 Branham Lane