Hammer Montessori At Galarza Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 318 students

Posted May 7, 2014

We have been pretty happy with this school up until this year. There is no longer a PTA which means there is really limited ways for parents to get involved and meet other parents or be involved. There is a foundation but it is not a very welcoming group and does not do the typical PTA events that would draw the students and parents to the school for events. Miss having the events that the other school onsite gets to have. Also my child is now in 4th grade and I am worried about the choices for 5th grade. There is one really great teacher that we all want but she can only have 30 students and currently teaches 4th/5th which means even fewer 5th graders. The other 5th grade teacher is of questionable reputation and character and one I do not want teaching my child. Seems like I am not the only one in this situation. It's a shame that the school does great until the important 5th grade. For younger grades though it is great and I would recommend it. Would also recommend getting a PTA back on campus.

Posted January 29, 2014

I have 3 children that attend Hammer Montessori, my oldest since 2009. We have had both kinder teachers for my children, and the teachers clearly have different styles. I found for my 3 children, both styles are effective and offer a unique personality fit for my non-cookie cutter kids. I think parents don't always understand the Montessori classroom and how the kinder classroom is structured. Thus the reason for the tours and the opportunity to meet the kinder teachers. If you are considering schools for your kinder or 1st grader, please come check out our school. You won't find an education like this in any other public school in SJUSD.

Posted August 7, 2013

My daughter is just entering the fourth grade at Hammer and we have had nothing but a great experience here. The teachers are extremely easy to talk with and accessible. With any school, there will be a range of types of teachers and personalities. I have found that the principal and teachers work together to place the kids with the most appropriate teachers that best suit the child's personality while keeping the the classroom dynamics in mind. Our community of teachers and parents are amazing. I'd really like to see the school find a site that can allow it to expand it to eight grade.

Posted June 20, 2013

We were not happy with the kindergarten teacher. We found her to be inflexible and difficult to deal with. We like the community of parents and the principal.

Posted June 9, 2013

My daughter just finished Kinder at Hammer and we have been very impressed with the education she is receiving. She loves going to school and to the after school program. She has excelled academically, has mastered reading and is writing sentences. She loves all the jobs and being able to work at her own pace. Teachers are all Monterssori trained and do a great job assessing what each child needs and their progress. Parents are very involved and school community is great. Families are all very down to earth. Can't wait for my son to start kinder next fall.

Posted May 1, 2013

My child has attended this school since kindergarten and is now in 4th grade. Up until this year we have loved the school and the teachers up until this year were fantastic. The teacher we have for fourth grade is not Montessori trained and is very lazy and basically just gives assignments and then spends his days on his iPad on Facebook. He is also "sarcastic" which borders on disrespect and mean. Many parents have complained about him to the principal but he has now here three years and only getting worse. My son and his friends are very excited to have this year almost over so they can be (hopefully) in the other 4/5 grade class next year. My concern is that so many people have requested NOT to be in his class that there won't be space in the other class and my son will have to suffer for another year. We are seriously considering another school. Frustrating that my son wants to stay with his friends but does not want to be with his current 4/5 teacher next year. I am not willing to take the chance.

Posted February 7, 2013

Hammer Montessori School is the best-kept secret in the South Bay public school system. I've worked in public education for 25 years and, as a parent, was looking for a public school that provided an engaging, thoughtful approach to learning, caring and creative teachers, strong leadership, and a great family community. We have found that in Hammer Montessori. We actually started out at our neighborhood school (also a highly rated school), but within weeks saw our son's love of learning plummet due to the worksheet culture of the school. He went from a very active hands-on preschool to a Kinder classroom in which he was seated at his desk with worksheets for most of each day. After 12 weeks, we decided we needed to do something, and switched to Hammer Montessori. It turned out to be a great decision he looks forward to school every day, and our younger son will join the Hammer Montessori family in a few years. If you seek a school that cares about your child as an individual, provides stimulating self-directed learning that meets California state standards, and involves your family in meaningful ways, please visit Hammer Montessori. Every family deserves to love their school!

Posted January 28, 2013

This school has great teachers. It is our second year here and I am very happy with the education my daughter is receiving. There are a few downfalls: Late start time (9:05) doesn't really work well for working parents-I wish this would change. 30 kids per class-this is just too many in these tiny rooms, but what else do you expect from the public school system. Shared campus with Galarza/shared PTA funds. The upside outweighs the cons for the most part. However, there are more pros: Freedom in learning-with the Montessori methods Lot's of extra activities thanks to the HMF Teachers that I feel truly care about my child and the school Many involved dedicated parents

Posted January 14, 2013

This is our second year at Hammer, my son is in 2nd grade and daughter just started in kinder. We are really happy to have found Hammer and the Montessori method of teaching. Both of my kids are really happy and having fun at school. We look forward to many great years here.

Posted January 14, 2013

Perhaps nothing is more daunting than being faced with the choice of where to send your children to school. OK... that may sound a bit strong but it was not an easy decision for our family. When the time came to make our family's choice, we knew that we wanted to send our kids to a school that would inspire them to become life long learners. We wanted to find a group of teachers, faculty and staff that would encourage our kids to experiment, research, read, question, explore and, yes, even fail. In short we were looking for a school that would help us teach our kids to be leaders. The answer for our family is / was Hammer Montessori Elementary Magnet. We currently have a Kindergartener and a First Grader attending Hammer Montessori Elementary. We feel so lucky to have our children attend Hammer Montessori. Both kindergarten teachers are amazing... With our two kids, we have had the opportunity to experience both. They are carrying, warm and our boys love them. My son's first grade teacher is also a rock star. She has inspired my son to love reading and is encouraging him to do extra work on his own to explore science. We highly recommend Hammer Montessori!

Posted June 6, 2012

My young daughter has been going to these school about 3 years. Is a great school; My son is been attending to school too, and my preschool too. They have great teachers; great friends & a good principal. I like how people & teacher treat me. and special teacher they help me with any problems i have with my kids @ home.

Posted September 22, 2011

My daughter has been at Hammer for two years and we have been very happy. We had Mrs. H for kindergarten. As mention by another parent, we did find her to be strict, but at the same time we found her to be very caring about the students and their progress. My daughter progress greatly and I believe Mrs. H strong control of the classroom kept the students focus academically. I felt that my daughter needed someone that cared about her, but was also willing to provide her with discipline. Warm and fuzzy was not a priority for us. Her first grade teacher was also wonderful and kept us updated as a classroom online. There are many parents who are very involved and I found this to be a positive indication of the school. I think that we are very lucky to have a public Montessori program. I feel that when parents are choosing this school that they need to keep in mind that this is still a public school and the resources are limited. I feel that many parents expect a private Montessori experience with a public school budget. The HMF program has been wonderful in raising money by donation to provide our children with art, music, and other outside enrichment.

Posted September 13, 2011

My daughter started here in the 2nd grade. We were really excited to get in but was not impressed with her 2 grade teacher at all. I heard great things about other teachers from other parents so we are trying it another year. So far this year is already been a big improvement. The teacher seems way more on it. My kid likes her and the work. I think they need to work with some of these teachers that may need some more help. I felt out of the loop and lost all last year and actually had many issues with the teacher. BUT So far this year I am impressed.

Posted July 29, 2011

The idea of this magnet program is great, but in practice it hasn't lived up to our expectations. Not child centered or directed at all, which Montessori should really be. All of the kindergarten teachers were overwhelmed this year (with class size increase to 30 and switch to full-day) and unfortunately for our son, our teacher s response to the stress was an increased rigidity and an overall coldness. Strict is fine, but I expect some nurturing and warmth along with the high expectations. The new assistant principal lacks the support she needs to be effective and although I found her to be understanding, she didn't seem able to resolve the numerous and repeated concerns from parents in our class. Two positive things the parent community is awesome and the building is newer and well maintained. Overall though, we are disappointed and looking for other options.

Posted July 16, 2011

My grandson just finished kindergarden. I am a local grandmother and I babysit for him at least 2-3 times per week. I was worried about the choice his mother made of program at Hammer Montessori. After the experience we had with him this year, I was proved wrong! Mrs H. is a wonderful teacher. My grandson learned to read the site words , he sound out words and write a couple of sentences at the time. He learned to count by 5 and by 10, addition and subtraction, the continents and the countries, he could talk about current events. The most important development though, is the fact that he asks when he does not understand a word. When I traveled, he would ask which continent is the visited country in, and the language they speak and so on... He learned to assume responsibility for his own homework and ask for help if he needed. He would also be upset if he was sick and had to miss school and he verbalized that he loved school! Mrs H gave him the gift of curiosity and excitement for the learning process. What a great gift to have a school and a teacher that gives a child this kind of base to start from! I could only rate this school a 10!

Posted May 14, 2011

it is a very good school it should be 10 out of 10 the teachers are great and the subjects are great too

Posted November 12, 2010

We just started kindergarten this year and my son loves it. I volunteer in the classroom and appreciate the parent involvement. How it works: Children receive lessons at the various stations and they have to prove to be proficient in that lesson before moving on to a harder one at that same station. They also have a music teacher along with time in the library and computer lab. Montessori has the belief that you don't learn just from instruction but by doing it yourself. So for example they have the kids count with physical units and then match the corresponding number to the units they have been working with. They start by learning in cursive because kids are more prone to write in circular motion rather than start/stop. When they do the alphabet they learn it phonetically which has helped my son start reading. In just the past three months he has learned to sound out words and has started reading easy books, he knows all of the continents (North America, South America, Asia, etc..) he has learned to count into the thousands and simple addition, and because of the personal responsibility that they encourage in this program he has taken better ownership of his things

Posted October 22, 2010

Hammer Montessori is a wonderful school. My son has gone there since the middle of second grade. He is in fourth now and he loves it. What I love are the teachers they are a very dedicated group of individuals who work hard to ensure a quality education and great Montessori classroom experience. The only weak link at all is the principal. I would recommend this school to any parent who cares about how their children learn.

Posted September 25, 2010

Public Montessori education is an incredible find in San Jose. This school has top of the line, experienced teachers and staff who care for the children very much. Over the two years we have been there we have seen the API score go up and up again. This school is a gem. If you can get in, you and your children will not be let down.

Posted August 17, 2010

i went to this school threw 2-2-3-4-5th grade so 5 years. it was amazing i love this school and i still remain contact with my teachers :) great staff and great hard work!

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students77%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Lynn Belmonte

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Individually guided instruction
  • Montessori

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab