San Jose, CA

Canoas Elementary School 5

Posted November 23, 2014
The teacher always available to communicate . Very responsive in email . Miss Stacy has empathy and truly cares about the students . Principal Barbara is accessible and takes appropriate action .

Canoas Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2013
I think each student and parent's experience would be different depending on their expectations. I think if each parent at the school would be more involved with their children's educational experience they would have a better perspective of what it takes to teach, instead of complaining how much homework their child gets, or how they are not getting their needs met. I had an opportunity to be involved in both of my children's classes and I agree that most of the kids need more help than my children do. At the same time, I have seen leaps and strides with all the kids that I have helped. Instead of being a hater, why don't you do something about it and volunteer (very few parents volunteer), show up to the home and school club (very few parents show up to the meeting), do something other than being a hater. We are committed for the next 4 years and we will continue to make our community school a better place, because we do make a difference at our school.

Posted February 25, 2013
I simply cannot say enough negative things about this school. Everything about it, from teachers to staff, from policies to programs, seems calculated to underserve and neglect the children unlucky enough to be enrolled there. My daughter reads and does math at 3 years above grade level. At Canoas her first grade teacher demonstrated alarming incompetence and took delight in first overburdening her with homework (~26 page weekly packets when other kids got maybe 4 pages), failing to teach her any of the information she would need in order to complete the big packets, and refusing outright to correct or hand back the homework after it was turned in. My husband and I sought to have our child moved up a grade, but the principal's slow and ineffective intervention resulted in my child being moved up a grade just in time to miss GATE testing all together. It's no wonder this is a failing school. They have failed my child on every level. No one should send their child to this joke of an institution. It should be shut down. Avoid Canoas Elementary like the plague, parents. Fight to have your child transferred.

Posted February 01, 2012
The teachers at this school are awful. There are a few who do care about their students success but there are those who are there to hurt your child s education. My child had complained about the way the teacher treats the class and I went in to see for myself to see whether this was true. To my surprise it was worse than I thought. Apparently the teacher believes that yelling, embarrassing and putting children down is not an issue, especially when a parent is present. I can only imagine how much worse it is if a parent isn't present. There have been complaints but nothing has changed. Teachers have also discouraged me from going into their class and now I know why. So for those parents wondering why students scores are bad, and why parents do not volunteer, take this into consideration.

Canoas Elementary School 3

Posted June 20, 2011
Although there is lack of parent involvement in this school, teachers and students are nice and polite. Students are not encouraged to do well. Reading should be a must. Students are supposed to be assigned one book to read and summarize every month. Deserving should get recognition and award. This way, the student will get motivated. Also, it sad to see parents transferring their kids to a better school. I'd been meaning to but this is my kid's last year in Canoas.

Canoas Elementary School 4

Posted March 20, 2011
Canoas has an excellent teaching staff. They have programs for students who are struggling with reading and math, but also for students who are above grade level. This is a "back to basics" school as a result of a high rate of English Language Learners, but teaching and curriculum quality is high. Our family considered a transfer and private schools because we were worried about low overall test scores. But while our son was in Kindergarten we were impressed by the school's interest in providing our child with accelerated learning opportunities. Parent participation is poor, but those who do volunteer and come to meetings are wonderful and enthusiastic. Curriculum is standard across the district, and in speaking with other parents, there are no poor teachers at Canoas.

Posted March 28, 2010
What a joke! Caring? High quality? Youve got to be kidding me? This school is just another one of San Jose Unified's failure schools. Poor administration, staff, and students with low testing scores. Beware!

Posted December 05, 2009

Canoas Elementary School 0

Posted October 20, 2009
There is a friendliness and a cohesiveness that seems to exhist between all groups and ages at Canoas. It is a fun place to be and the relationship between principal and students and teachers is one of attention and caring.

Canoas Elementary School 5

Posted May 28, 2009

Canoas Elementary School
880 Wren Drive, San Jose, CA  95125
Last modified Canoas Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canoas Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top