Evergreen Valley High School

Public | 9-12 | 2715 students

College Prep

School Official Point of View

Posted October 11, 2014

Welcome to the Evergreen Valley High School webpage! EVHS is an amazing school that has achieved so much in its short existence. Since opening its doors in 2002, EVHS has grown to a student population of 2715 students. While this may seem like a large number, we are very proud that our students, parents, and faculty feel there is a closeness one would find in a small community. EVHS is a warm community where the staff is proud of their work and our students are proud to attend Evergreen. Our students know they are privileged to attend one of the best schools in the South Bay and they enjoy their years at EVHS. The test data at EVHS is a testament to student achievement and teacher effort. Students and staff earned an outstanding Academic Performance Index score of 866 in the 2012-13 school year. Approximately 1500 Advanced Placement exams were given in 2013-14 and the scores exceeded the national averages. Ninety-three percent of EVHS seniors self report moving on to the collegiate level with the remaining 7% entering the workforce, vocational careers, or the military. The school offers 17 different Advanced Placement Courses for college credit. Eleventh and 12th graders have the option to apply to the ACCEL mid level college program at Evergreen Community College, and the ability to attend over 30 courses at the Silicon Valley Career Technical Education Center (formerly named CCOC). EVHS also offers a full selection of courses that meet the California State University, University of California, and private college entrance requirements including advanced coursework in all content areas. The EVHS Counseling Department, teaching staff, and administrative team communicates with parents via email, School Loop, and multiple parent nights throughout the year. Additionally, all students have access to the online Naviance program for the purpose of college planning. The school webpage itself provides much information about the school including a daily email bulletin. Our counseling program also offers a comprehensive multi service program (MST) which assists students and parents by connecting them with community services. Our student government and our Leadership class lead our school activities which includes lunch time activities and entertainment, rallies, dances, haunted houses, and more. Approximately 1400 students attended the Homecoming dance in 2013-14 and there are dozens of large events held yearly. This includes the day and night rallies during homecoming, our famous Winterfest, and the Battle of the Classes. EVHS is very proud of its thriving and exciting extra and co-curricular offerings which include a full orchestra, band, wind ensemble, guitar program, choir, drama, visual arts, competitive robotics, and business program. There are 15 boys/girls sports including football, track and field, volleyball, basketball, badminton, soccer, baseball, softball, cross country, water polo, swimming, tennis, golf, wrestling, and cheerleading. EVHS athletics has won 17 Boy s Division Titles and 23 Girl s Titles with 8 teams becoming CCS Champions. Our school yearbook is nationally recognized and has been honored by the National Scholastic Press Association. Additionally, there are over 100 student clubs in which to participate. EVHS is also home to the Child Development Center which offers day care for qualifying families throughout the district. This program is run with the support of EVHS students who work in the center. Feel free to browse these offerings on the website. Students, we know you will enjoy your days at EVHS because being a Cougar is like having a second family! Lauren Kelly, Principal

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen Valley High School has definitely improved over the years that I have been here. With the new principal this year, there have been many positive changes to the system! Students are now offered the opportunity to take up to 4 AP classes, which is great compared to the limited amount in the past. Although many have complained that EV has 'bad teachers', I believe that that is inevitable for each and every school. Aside from academics, this year was the first time I've seen an abundance amount of school spirit from the 3 years I've been here. It definitely affected my high school experience in a positive manner,

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen is an amazing school with staff and teachers who support and encourage students daily. This school is extremely diverse by having a variety of clubs and multicultural school events. The events planned by students themselves are extremely extraordinary and makes the school united.

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen is an amazing school. The new principal and administration has done so much for our school; such as benches for people to eat and sit on, they walk around during break and lunch and interact with the students, and they are huge supporters of our sports program, always attending the games. Teachers at EV don't only teach us school material, but also valuable life lessons. We are also a diverse school, with many student unions (such as chinese student union, vietnamese student union, black student union, etc) who have fashion shows, performances, and spirit weeks for the students to participate in. Our sports teams are very dedicated and hard working and it definitely shows when it comes to the games/matches. Overall EV is a very good high school and we encourage everyone to come!

Posted April 29, 2014

Ok so there any many misconceptions that i am gonna clear here. this is my first year at evhs and it is probably the best school in our district by a landslide for many reasonds. Now heres why people. first off, the campus and staff are great, the campus has been extremely clean and safe, and our staff has been amazing this year. previous years i heard it was terrible but look, we have a new principal and a new principal. Ms. Kelly and Mr. Kleckner are probably the greatest people ever, they have cleaned up and made all the teachers better, they have stopped all drug use and violence whatsoever, and have made evhs a golden school. second, our counselors are amazing and we have our own online counseling database called naviance, where students can get all the help they can possibly imagine and are very involved and will help you with anything necessary. It is the best school in the district NOW, not before, but NOW, campus = amazing, staff = amazing, students = amazing, api score = highest in district, and finally, a loving and caring community == always there for you

Posted April 11, 2014

EVHS has changed a lot within the last year.No clue why some of the reviews are so stinky .The new Principal is bringing in lot of positive changes.My son feels very safe at the campus .Some of the Science and Math teachers are really good . EVHS has honors classes and they have at least 60 AP classes in various subjects! Parents have tools like school loop, school voice calls and emails to get information in a timely manner.I have seen the principal attending various events to boost the school spirit.Yes, the school has some problems just like all other campuses but with right leadership, school is moving into the right direction for sure. This school has good band program, nice athletic program and tons of clubs to choose from.Go cougars!

Posted March 21, 2014

EVHS has improved a lot over the year. More APs are offered to students who are willing to learn. Most of teachers are good, and responsible for. More info is shared with parents by phone and schoolloop

Posted March 17, 2014

It is an OK school and child will get a good education. But, information is hard to get, counselors are overworked, unavailable. Course selection for the next year is done first in naviance, then the counselors approve the 2000 requests. AP night is held for parents and students, and then students submit AP requests on paper, which are processed by the counselors. AP night can be held BEFORE students submit requests in naviance? Course catalog on the school website is from 2009 and outdated. It lists courses no longer available, and does not list new courses. Departments do not have websites. Not all teachers are required to use schoolloop. Child might not know his grades for weeks unless he asks teacher. Things will improve with the new principal who is responsive to parents and trying to change and improve the school.

Posted December 26, 2013

teachers are biased and bitter in many cases. Huge drug problem, and massive amounts of bullying takes place with a lack of initiative in staff to lend support. If you are struggling, regardless the reason, no one is going to show you any empathy.

Posted November 10, 2013

This school has a new principal and she is very good. She cares about the children and there is a renewed school spirit in the school. My son has positive feedback and I am glad that his final two years at EVHS will be ones that he will enjoy and value more than the first two years. The principal also attended the choir concert on Thursday which had not happened before and my son is in his third year of choir. The concert was the best one yet and the teacher is very dedicated with her students. Ms. K always puts on a great performance. A big thank you to you.

Posted August 28, 2013

My daughter attended 9th grade in this school. Our experience: A first-year English teacher who lost multiple homeworks and tests and gave 0s for those; 3 schcool consulers for ~3000 students; No honors classes; Parents are not allowed to do anything for their kids or get involved in school life. Kids are left fighting for limited resources and uncaring teachers themselves; While there is an "AP night" when they talk about the classes and ask kids to carefully choose up to 3 classes, they randomly assign ONE AP class for 10th graders regardless of their choices: why do they even bother with an "AP night" in the first place! school management is non-exist; school ground is dirty though nearly new; Students on side walk, not the lawn are sprinkled that grass died. Should I continue? If the school's acdemic performance is OK, it is because of parents/students, not the school.

Posted March 31, 2013

Definitely not a good school, for students who are willing to go to universities. This school does not provide their students what they need, for example, the resources, counselors, good teachers and advanced classes. Things are just horrible at this school and it needs to be fixed. All the students who are willing to take advanced classes should be able to take them.

Posted March 18, 2013

EV is an excellent school. It has excellent teachers who care deeply for students. Students who complain about teachers are just too lazy to pay attention during class. Ev has a broad selection of classes and electives. People can't expect a school to have a dozen choices for each department. I'd highly recommend your child to attend this school. He or she will will receive the best of teaching and support. Go Cougars!

Posted March 10, 2013

Being here for a few days made me quickly realize that there is much more to the high school experience besides academics. Granted, the teachers are very excellent, with many AP classes. But the students here are what ruins it. There are way too many fights, drugs, learning apathy, bullying, and racism. You will be torn apart if you are introverted, average, or otherwise not popular. I am happy at another school now, where the people are friendly, sociable, and tolerant. I have become less quiet, and feel much closer with others, students, teachers, and parents. This is an average school and many here think all schools are the same. But there are those of us that know better, are you one of them?

Posted February 14, 2013

High school has its ups and downs-its an inevitable part of the experience that will happen regardless of any school you attend. Having said that, I can happily say that EVHS has transformed me into the person I am today. Most of the faculty is amazing-I can only think of a couple of teachers that I truly had an issue with. For the most part, teachers will take their time and speak with you outside of class if you need help regarding classwork, or just school in general-as long you take the time to address your issues. The administration does their best to work with everyone. In response to the previous poster, I have worked with the administration regarding the Pledge and have been a participant in the global field trips that the poster addresses. The decision was taken in order to prevent any discomfort that students may have regarding the Pledge. As to "anti-American sentiments" presented in global field trip presentations, I can attest to the fact that these organizations and the teachers involved with them strive to only show the effects of globalization in the world around us, and the USA's role in it. EVHS takes a progressive stance regarding the shaping of future leaders.

Posted December 29, 2012

I honestly have to say that moving here for my junior year (which is supposed to be the most important/rigorous year) was one of the worst choices I've ever made. Don't get me wrong, the students here are very nice people. But the teachers are what makes me shake my head. Sadly, there is only the slightest amount of teachers that actually care about the actual student and more than just a GPA. I've only been here for so long but it's more than enough. The quality of the teachers (as you've probably read through) is tremendously horrid. I cannot emphasis this enough. Coming from a student who has never had anything below a 3.8 GPA, I've suffered so much this year. I understand that academically, schools must be rigorous. But it does help when teachers are willing to give that extra push instead of throwing work at you without explaining it. The best part of it is when I asked the counselor to switch me out of a class I am failing in, she told me to get a tutor like everyone else. You know, not everyone can afford a tutor. It just makes me grief over the fact that no one is willing to help me even when I come to them. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 12, 2012

The principal of this school is deplorable. The principal does not take any responsibility for students, teachers, the school. She ascribes the goings on to anything but herself. She has the students who do the Pledge of Allegiance say to sit down and be silent. With this she allows one of her teachers to do a school assembly for global field trips and the presentation was full of anti-American sentiment. How am I to teach my child responsibility for her actions and national pride with school principals like this? Is this what public schools have become?

Posted December 8, 2012

Honestly, EV was disappointing. I'm a sophomore, and the only classes that I'm learning anything are whap and math, which shouldn't be the case. The only thing making it a good schools are us, the motivated students, not the mediocre teachers.

Posted October 3, 2012

Overall, I believe this is a great school, especially at academic. Also, from statistics of graduated students, this is wonderful school, very competitive to schools such as Los Altos high and Homestead. There're so many students entering top UC school. So, what more do we expect? What this school needs to improve is parents involement, compared to other schools like Gunn High. So, let's put more time and effort to help EV, to build a more decent comunity school.

Posted January 31, 2012

We moved to this school after the school year began. I had high hopes, but I have to say that I have been very disappointed. Despite this school's high rating, so far I find most of (not all) the teachers to be incompetent, unprofessional, weak in subject matter knowledge, and unhelpful. They really seem to hate teenagers. There are many fights, drugs, and overall lack of discipline. The dress code, or behavioral rules for that matter, are not enforced, because the administration is out of touch, lacking in an authoritative presence, and unwilling to take a stand. The athletic department is extremely disorganized, and the school's technology seems to date back to the 80's. Even the parents lack discipline, as they park illegally, do not follow rules, and do not enforce school rules on their children. This school's problems cannot be solved overnight, since the entire school district is underfunded and unsupported by the community. If you are considering moving to San Jose, wait until your children no longer need to attend school. Good luck to us all as we hope our children will learn under such terrible conditions.

Posted September 28, 2011

I agree with the lack of unity and lack of school spirit. In addituon, Admin/leadership of school does absolutley nothing to promote anything , very poor communications with parents (e.g announcing Back to school Night on school loop a few hours prior to the the event) 50% of teachers do not bother responding on school loop yet it is the ONLY connection the parent has with the school. School WAY TOO OVERCROWDED. Staff overworked. Teachers assume all students have computers and are expected to print out handouts. Library and computer labs inaccessible. In fairness to the teachers much of this is due to budget cuts w

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/AN/A
English language learners 4%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Quimby Oak MS
Chaboya MS
many others in east San Jose
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 48% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 48% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 2% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of CA schools
CSU Schools
Evergreen Community College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC Accredited (2012)
  • Us News Top 100 schools (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Lauren Kelly
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (400) 347-7005

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • access to Naviance
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Walk to school
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language club: Spanish
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Game club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Athletic Booster, Band Booster
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
2715
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
2715
Students typically come from these schools
Quimby Oak MS
Chaboya MS
many others in east San Jose

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of CA schools
CSU Schools
Evergreen Community College
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
access to Naviance