Evergreen Valley High School

Public | 9-12

Posted March 17, 2014

It is an OK school and child will get a good education. But, information is hard to get, counselors are overworked, unavailable. Course selection for the next year is done first in naviance, then the counselors approve the 2000 requests. AP night is held for parents and students, and then students submit AP requests on paper, which are processed by the counselors. AP night can be held BEFORE students submit requests in naviance? Course catalog on the school website is from 2009 and outdated. It lists courses no longer available, and does not list new courses. Departments do not have websites. Not all teachers are required to use schoolloop. Child might not know his grades for weeks unless he asks teacher. Things will improve with the new principal who is responsive to parents and trying to change and improve the school.

Posted December 26, 2013

teachers are biased and bitter in many cases. Huge drug problem, and massive amounts of bullying takes place with a lack of initiative in staff to lend support. If you are struggling, regardless the reason, no one is going to show you any empathy.

Posted November 10, 2013

This school has a new principal and she is very good. She cares about the children and there is a renewed school spirit in the school. My son has positive feedback and I am glad that his final two years at EVHS will be ones that he will enjoy and value more than the first two years. The principal also attended the choir concert on Thursday which had not happened before and my son is in his third year of choir. The concert was the best one yet and the teacher is very dedicated with her students. Ms. K always puts on a great performance. A big thank you to you.

Posted August 28, 2013

My daughter attended 9th grade in this school. Our experience: A first-year English teacher who lost multiple homeworks and tests and gave 0s for those; 3 schcool consulers for ~3000 students; No honors classes; Parents are not allowed to do anything for their kids or get involved in school life. Kids are left fighting for limited resources and uncaring teachers themselves; While there is an "AP night" when they talk about the classes and ask kids to carefully choose up to 3 classes, they randomly assign ONE AP class for 10th graders regardless of their choices: why do they even bother with an "AP night" in the first place! school management is non-exist; school ground is dirty though nearly new; Students on side walk, not the lawn are sprinkled that grass died. Should I continue? If the school's acdemic performance is OK, it is because of parents/students, not the school.

Posted March 31, 2013

Definitely not a good school, for students who are willing to go to universities. This school does not provide their students what they need, for example, the resources, counselors, good teachers and advanced classes. Things are just horrible at this school and it needs to be fixed. All the students who are willing to take advanced classes should be able to take them.

Posted March 18, 2013

EV is an excellent school. It has excellent teachers who care deeply for students. Students who complain about teachers are just too lazy to pay attention during class. Ev has a broad selection of classes and electives. People can't expect a school to have a dozen choices for each department. I'd highly recommend your child to attend this school. He or she will will receive the best of teaching and support. Go Cougars!

Posted March 10, 2013

Being here for a few days made me quickly realize that there is much more to the high school experience besides academics. Granted, the teachers are very excellent, with many AP classes. But the students here are what ruins it. There are way too many fights, drugs, learning apathy, bullying, and racism. You will be torn apart if you are introverted, average, or otherwise not popular. I am happy at another school now, where the people are friendly, sociable, and tolerant. I have become less quiet, and feel much closer with others, students, teachers, and parents. This is an average school and many here think all schools are the same. But there are those of us that know better, are you one of them?

Posted February 14, 2013

High school has its ups and downs-its an inevitable part of the experience that will happen regardless of any school you attend. Having said that, I can happily say that EVHS has transformed me into the person I am today. Most of the faculty is amazing-I can only think of a couple of teachers that I truly had an issue with. For the most part, teachers will take their time and speak with you outside of class if you need help regarding classwork, or just school in general-as long you take the time to address your issues. The administration does their best to work with everyone. In response to the previous poster, I have worked with the administration regarding the Pledge and have been a participant in the global field trips that the poster addresses. The decision was taken in order to prevent any discomfort that students may have regarding the Pledge. As to "anti-American sentiments" presented in global field trip presentations, I can attest to the fact that these organizations and the teachers involved with them strive to only show the effects of globalization in the world around us, and the USA's role in it. EVHS takes a progressive stance regarding the shaping of future leaders.

Posted December 29, 2012

I honestly have to say that moving here for my junior year (which is supposed to be the most important/rigorous year) was one of the worst choices I've ever made. Don't get me wrong, the students here are very nice people. But the teachers are what makes me shake my head. Sadly, there is only the slightest amount of teachers that actually care about the actual student and more than just a GPA. I've only been here for so long but it's more than enough. The quality of the teachers (as you've probably read through) is tremendously horrid. I cannot emphasis this enough. Coming from a student who has never had anything below a 3.8 GPA, I've suffered so much this year. I understand that academically, schools must be rigorous. But it does help when teachers are willing to give that extra push instead of throwing work at you without explaining it. The best part of it is when I asked the counselor to switch me out of a class I am failing in, she told me to get a tutor like everyone else. You know, not everyone can afford a tutor. It just makes me grief over the fact that no one is willing to help me even when I come to them. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 12, 2012

The principal of this school is deplorable. The principal does not take any responsibility for students, teachers, the school. She ascribes the goings on to anything but herself. She has the students who do the Pledge of Allegiance say to sit down and be silent. With this she allows one of her teachers to do a school assembly for global field trips and the presentation was full of anti-American sentiment. How am I to teach my child responsibility for her actions and national pride with school principals like this? Is this what public schools have become?

Posted December 8, 2012

Honestly, EV was disappointing. I'm a sophomore, and the only classes that I'm learning anything are whap and math, which shouldn't be the case. The only thing making it a good schools are us, the motivated students, not the mediocre teachers.

Posted October 3, 2012

Overall, I believe this is a great school, especially at academic. Also, from statistics of graduated students, this is wonderful school, very competitive to schools such as Los Altos high and Homestead. There're so many students entering top UC school. So, what more do we expect? What this school needs to improve is parents involement, compared to other schools like Gunn High. So, let's put more time and effort to help EV, to build a more decent comunity school.

Posted January 31, 2012

We moved to this school after the school year began. I had high hopes, but I have to say that I have been very disappointed. Despite this school's high rating, so far I find most of (not all) the teachers to be incompetent, unprofessional, weak in subject matter knowledge, and unhelpful. They really seem to hate teenagers. There are many fights, drugs, and overall lack of discipline. The dress code, or behavioral rules for that matter, are not enforced, because the administration is out of touch, lacking in an authoritative presence, and unwilling to take a stand. The athletic department is extremely disorganized, and the school's technology seems to date back to the 80's. Even the parents lack discipline, as they park illegally, do not follow rules, and do not enforce school rules on their children. This school's problems cannot be solved overnight, since the entire school district is underfunded and unsupported by the community. If you are considering moving to San Jose, wait until your children no longer need to attend school. Good luck to us all as we hope our children will learn under such terrible conditions.

Posted September 28, 2011

I agree with the lack of unity and lack of school spirit. In addituon, Admin/leadership of school does absolutley nothing to promote anything , very poor communications with parents (e.g announcing Back to school Night on school loop a few hours prior to the the event) 50% of teachers do not bother responding on school loop yet it is the ONLY connection the parent has with the school. School WAY TOO OVERCROWDED. Staff overworked. Teachers assume all students have computers and are expected to print out handouts. Library and computer labs inaccessible. In fairness to the teachers much of this is due to budget cuts w

Posted July 31, 2011

I am a substitute teacher in the East Side District. Evergreen Valley is without doubt the best high school in the district. The behavior of the students is superior, the classroom preparation is excellent, and the student commitment to learning is obvious in virtually every classroom.

Posted July 6, 2011

My child will be attending EVHS and the registration process has already been a disappointing experience. The staff who directed parents to the seating area presented herself more like a military drilled sergeant with no social etiquette or proper customer service skills. "Hey, put that down... You! sit over there!" It didn't feel like a school environment and that made me wonder the level of "quality" education the school is capable of providing.

Posted June 15, 2011

I agreed with the assessment about EVHS. My daughter took AP Calculus AB last year (10th grade) with Ms Thieu and it was horrible. I had to hire private tutor for her 4 hours/wk to catch up because the teacher taught almost nothing at school and she gave out hw that took 3-4 hours a day to complete. My daughter is a straight A+ student in all her previous math classes (and other subjects). I hired 2 different experienced math tutors and they both agreed. When I emailed and asked her about it, she told me that it should take < 1hr a day to complete her math hw. Please. I was a calculus tutor and teacher assistant in college many years ago and I do know about math.

Posted June 3, 2011

The students here deserve better teachers. I have recently completed my junior year at this school and the quality of the teachers is just horrendous. With the exception of a handful of wonderful teachers, most of the teachers at EV have obsolete teaching methods, unorganized grading systems, no motivation towards teaching, and are just plain incompetent. Many students here are very bright, talented, and passionate about learning, hence the schools high API score, but it is not because of the teachers. The staff quality is overwhelmingly poor; staff-student communication is almost nonexistent and most of the staff show no concern about the students' futures or well being. EV's good-looking campus is ruined by the overcrowding of students and complete lack of unity. There is almost no school spirit and the student population is divided up into its own secluded groups and cliques. Also, EV has a ridiculously poor selection of classes. EV has no honor classes, not many APs, and only two foreign languages. This is laughable when compared to other schools of this size. Other than a nice campus, good students, and an unpleasant high school experience, EV has little else to offer.

Posted April 9, 2011

Honestly, this school consist of the worst teachers, who can't comprehend the act of "teaching." This is my Junior year and it's a waste of time. Students are unmotivated because of the unmotivated teachers. I wish I could go to Silver Creek after hearing all the stories!

Posted March 20, 2011

Its more of the students making this a good school, not the staff. I personally think that this school may not have the right activities and staff for learning, but it definitely has the perfect learning environment for students of all abilities. For me, I really had no choice but to go here or silver creek, but for the sake of distance and friends, I chose this school.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3300 Quimby Road