Evergreen Valley High School

Public | 9-12 | 2715 students

College Prep

School Official Point of View

Posted October 11, 2014

Welcome to the Evergreen Valley High School webpage! EVHS is an amazing school that has achieved so much in its short existence. Since opening its doors in 2002, EVHS has grown to a student population of 2715 students. While this may seem like a large number, we are very proud that our students, parents, and faculty feel there is a closeness one would find in a small community. EVHS is a warm community where the staff is proud of their work and our students are proud to attend Evergreen. Our students know they are privileged to attend one of the best schools in the South Bay and they enjoy their years at EVHS. The test data at EVHS is a testament to student achievement and teacher effort. Students and staff earned an outstanding Academic Performance Index score of 866 in the 2012-13 school year. Approximately 1500 Advanced Placement exams were given in 2013-14 and the scores exceeded the national averages. Ninety-three percent of EVHS seniors self report moving on to the collegiate level with the remaining 7% entering the workforce, vocational careers, or the military. The school offers 17 different Advanced Placement Courses for college credit. Eleventh and 12th graders have the option to apply to the ACCEL mid level college program at Evergreen Community College, and the ability to attend over 30 courses at the Silicon Valley Career Technical Education Center (formerly named CCOC). EVHS also offers a full selection of courses that meet the California State University, University of California, and private college entrance requirements including advanced coursework in all content areas. The EVHS Counseling Department, teaching staff, and administrative team communicates with parents via email, School Loop, and multiple parent nights throughout the year. Additionally, all students have access to the online Naviance program for the purpose of college planning. The school webpage itself provides much information about the school including a daily email bulletin. Our counseling program also offers a comprehensive multi service program (MST) which assists students and parents by connecting them with community services. Our student government and our Leadership class lead our school activities which includes lunch time activities and entertainment, rallies, dances, haunted houses, and more. Approximately 1400 students attended the Homecoming dance in 2013-14 and there are dozens of large events held yearly. This includes the day and night rallies during homecoming, our famous Winterfest, and the Battle of the Classes. EVHS is very proud of its thriving and exciting extra and co-curricular offerings which include a full orchestra, band, wind ensemble, guitar program, choir, drama, visual arts, competitive robotics, and business program. There are 15 boys/girls sports including football, track and field, volleyball, basketball, badminton, soccer, baseball, softball, cross country, water polo, swimming, tennis, golf, wrestling, and cheerleading. EVHS athletics has won 17 Boy s Division Titles and 23 Girl s Titles with 8 teams becoming CCS Champions. Our school yearbook is nationally recognized and has been honored by the National Scholastic Press Association. Additionally, there are over 100 student clubs in which to participate. EVHS is also home to the Child Development Center which offers day care for qualifying families throughout the district. This program is run with the support of EVHS students who work in the center. Feel free to browse these offerings on the website. Students, we know you will enjoy your days at EVHS because being a Cougar is like having a second family! Lauren Kelly, Principal

Posted July 31, 2011

I am a substitute teacher in the East Side District. Evergreen Valley is without doubt the best high school in the district. The behavior of the students is superior, the classroom preparation is excellent, and the student commitment to learning is obvious in virtually every classroom.

Posted July 6, 2011

My child will be attending EVHS and the registration process has already been a disappointing experience. The staff who directed parents to the seating area presented herself more like a military drilled sergeant with no social etiquette or proper customer service skills. "Hey, put that down... You! sit over there!" It didn't feel like a school environment and that made me wonder the level of "quality" education the school is capable of providing.

Posted June 15, 2011

I agreed with the assessment about EVHS. My daughter took AP Calculus AB last year (10th grade) with Ms Thieu and it was horrible. I had to hire private tutor for her 4 hours/wk to catch up because the teacher taught almost nothing at school and she gave out hw that took 3-4 hours a day to complete. My daughter is a straight A+ student in all her previous math classes (and other subjects). I hired 2 different experienced math tutors and they both agreed. When I emailed and asked her about it, she told me that it should take < 1hr a day to complete her math hw. Please. I was a calculus tutor and teacher assistant in college many years ago and I do know about math.

Posted June 3, 2011

The students here deserve better teachers. I have recently completed my junior year at this school and the quality of the teachers is just horrendous. With the exception of a handful of wonderful teachers, most of the teachers at EV have obsolete teaching methods, unorganized grading systems, no motivation towards teaching, and are just plain incompetent. Many students here are very bright, talented, and passionate about learning, hence the schools high API score, but it is not because of the teachers. The staff quality is overwhelmingly poor; staff-student communication is almost nonexistent and most of the staff show no concern about the students' futures or well being. EV's good-looking campus is ruined by the overcrowding of students and complete lack of unity. There is almost no school spirit and the student population is divided up into its own secluded groups and cliques. Also, EV has a ridiculously poor selection of classes. EV has no honor classes, not many APs, and only two foreign languages. This is laughable when compared to other schools of this size. Other than a nice campus, good students, and an unpleasant high school experience, EV has little else to offer.

Posted April 9, 2011

Honestly, this school consist of the worst teachers, who can't comprehend the act of "teaching." This is my Junior year and it's a waste of time. Students are unmotivated because of the unmotivated teachers. I wish I could go to Silver Creek after hearing all the stories!

Posted March 20, 2011

Its more of the students making this a good school, not the staff. I personally think that this school may not have the right activities and staff for learning, but it definitely has the perfect learning environment for students of all abilities. For me, I really had no choice but to go here or silver creek, but for the sake of distance and friends, I chose this school.

Posted March 17, 2011

As a sophomore student here. I can say that it's been disappointing. Although there are some good teachers, I would say that some teachers aren't qualified to teacher their subjects, and are just lazy and incompetent. A more budget cuts happen, they'll be a lack of opportunities and services.

Posted February 28, 2011

I am a student here and i strongly think that this school is not as great as everyone makes it seem! There are no good electives compared to many many other schools. Its teachers are not good! probly only 2 out of 4 teachers are good! i dont learn anything in 3 of my current classes. not that i do not pay attention because i do and i actually try to learn but these teachers just CAN NOT TEACH! the one and only thing good about this school is its campuse. Many parents think this school is so great! well its not remember this IS HIGHSCHOOL! drugs, fights, and major problems do occur here 24/7!!!!!!!

Posted October 25, 2010

EVHS really is what you make of it. Given that this is a fairly new school, it is no wonder that a surplus of activities has yet to be developed. But take into consideration the quality of the things that do exist. Students at EVHS push the limits, are passionate, and excel in what they do. The campus is beautiful, the opportunities (if you take the time to put yourself out there and really take hold of them) are good, and the overall environment is one of the best. You get the best of both worlds at EVHS- the competition is great for growth and challenge in educational aspects, and there are a few great activities that students really put their hearts into which bring out the best in everyone. Work hard and be interactive. You will see that EVHS really is a great place.

Posted May 16, 2010

This is my second and final year of attending EVHS. although I am only a sophomore, I've noticed the ambiguity that is my high school. although we've received a 'distinguished' 10/10, I'd like to disagree. I think that our high tests scores cover up our overcrowded, sometimes high-strung campus. It is not clear to me whether our high scores are a direct result of 'good' teachers, or the mainly intelligent demographics of our school. However, this task of uncovering the truth is up to you the parent and your student. Don't get me wrong though, there are truly some really great teachers, even if they are from mainly 'third world' countries. And we also have oppurtunities for the betterment of all types of students, including: college-bound students, mentally disabled students, and students struggling in CAHSEE math and english. But, its up to you :]

Posted April 21, 2010

As a graduating senior, this school does have it's positives and negatives. The people here are pretty much open and welcoming, though there are the few who aren't as inviting, but that's normal. After reading some posts by freshmen,I'm kind of confused because there are some really great teachers here, it's just masked by the incompetent ones. Those who say this school has no class spirit is dead wrong. Probably they themselves don't participate in homecoming, battle or whatever. Plus, the graduating class is going to top schools in the world, I don't think being that smart comes without some help with teachers.

Posted April 5, 2010

This school has its ups and downs. The teachers for the freshman class aren't very good and the campus is covered with a huge amount of gum, but the students are mature and responsible and the class spirit is amazing.

Posted April 3, 2010

I'm a freshman at this school, and given the chance I would definitely attend a different school. There is only one part-time counselor to provide for the entire student body. The teachers are lacking experience and seem to all be hired from third-world countries. The campus, new as it is, is simply disgusting and there are black splotches of gum everywhere. There is absolutely no familiar school spirit at EVHS. I don't think that test scores alone can bring this school's rating up to a 10.

Posted March 26, 2010

This is my freshman year of high school and I already wish I had chosen somewhere else. Half of my teachers are incompetent and and have little to no control over their classes. The counseling is insufficient and the environment the students and faculty create often comes across as cold and impersonal. Teachers rarely seem to care about their students at all, and blame the students for their inability to teach.

Posted February 18, 2010

This place rocks. The only bad stuff is the usual high school stuff. I'm an angel though. 0:)

Posted September 16, 2009

Evergreen Valley High School is a great community of parents, kids and teachers who care about each other and are committed to academic excellence as well as creating well-rounded young adults.

Posted March 18, 2009

I went to this school and am now a few months away from graduation from CAL. I struggled in my first two years of college because I had not learned basic study skills and did not have the same level of knowledge or competitiveness as my peers. The school was already in decline before I graduated and I know from contact with teachers that things have definitely gotten worse (conflicts within administration, poor management, rise in disruptive behavior from students, etc.). I only did well here because I took extreme initiative in my classes and extra curricular activities. The average student would not excel here. I strongly believe that I was accepted to university because I wrote about the extreme and unusual disadvantages I had (lack of classes, self-learning for AP, etc.) while attending this school. Your kids are much better off going to nearby Silver Creek or Mt Pleasant.

Posted March 17, 2009

This school looks prestine on the outside but bad teachers on the inside. Needless to say, just because the school is new [est. in 2003] does NOT mean is good. Better school to attend to is Overfelt High or Independence High [they have better scores on testes then this school in a million years combine] . Your kids will thank you for it.

Posted March 10, 2009

I transferred out of this school half way through freshman year. I was made fun of for being white, and the schools environment was very unwelcoming.

Posted January 26, 2009

I was a student who was amongst the 2nd graduating class of EVHS. Initially in high school, to be honest, I was heavily unmotivated and in the 'bad' crowd of students. I was always skipping classes, failing classes, and just doing terribly. However, the only thing that made me realize my passion for education (and subsequently higher education) were the amazing faculty and principal -- Mr. McDonough. A teacher whose name I will not publicly mention actually called me in one day and sat me down after class to ask what was bothering me and why I was under-performing. Needless to say, I got my act together. Currently I'm at a high ranking UC studying a technical field with promising industrial and graduate school opportunities waiting for me shortly. Undoubtedly, without EVHS I wouldn't be the person I am today.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/AN/A
English language learners 4%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Quimby Oak MS
Chaboya MS
many others in east San Jose
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 48% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 48% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 2% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of CA schools
CSU Schools
Evergreen Community College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC Accredited (2012)
  • Us News Top 100 schools (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Lauren Kelly
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (400) 347-7005

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • access to Naviance
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Walk to school
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language club: Spanish
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Game club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Athletic Booster, Band Booster
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
2715
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
2715
Students typically come from these schools
Quimby Oak MS
Chaboya MS
many others in east San Jose

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of CA schools
CSU Schools
Evergreen Community College
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
access to Naviance