Evergreen Valley High School

Public | 9-12

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $428,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,200.

Posted March 17, 2011

As a sophomore student here. I can say that it's been disappointing. Although there are some good teachers, I would say that some teachers aren't qualified to teacher their subjects, and are just lazy and incompetent. A more budget cuts happen, they'll be a lack of opportunities and services.

Posted February 28, 2011

I am a student here and i strongly think that this school is not as great as everyone makes it seem! There are no good electives compared to many many other schools. Its teachers are not good! probly only 2 out of 4 teachers are good! i dont learn anything in 3 of my current classes. not that i do not pay attention because i do and i actually try to learn but these teachers just CAN NOT TEACH! the one and only thing good about this school is its campuse. Many parents think this school is so great! well its not remember this IS HIGHSCHOOL! drugs, fights, and major problems do occur here 24/7!!!!!!!

Posted October 25, 2010

EVHS really is what you make of it. Given that this is a fairly new school, it is no wonder that a surplus of activities has yet to be developed. But take into consideration the quality of the things that do exist. Students at EVHS push the limits, are passionate, and excel in what they do. The campus is beautiful, the opportunities (if you take the time to put yourself out there and really take hold of them) are good, and the overall environment is one of the best. You get the best of both worlds at EVHS- the competition is great for growth and challenge in educational aspects, and there are a few great activities that students really put their hearts into which bring out the best in everyone. Work hard and be interactive. You will see that EVHS really is a great place.

Posted May 16, 2010

This is my second and final year of attending EVHS. although I am only a sophomore, I've noticed the ambiguity that is my high school. although we've received a 'distinguished' 10/10, I'd like to disagree. I think that our high tests scores cover up our overcrowded, sometimes high-strung campus. It is not clear to me whether our high scores are a direct result of 'good' teachers, or the mainly intelligent demographics of our school. However, this task of uncovering the truth is up to you the parent and your student. Don't get me wrong though, there are truly some really great teachers, even if they are from mainly 'third world' countries. And we also have oppurtunities for the betterment of all types of students, including: college-bound students, mentally disabled students, and students struggling in CAHSEE math and english. But, its up to you :]

Posted April 21, 2010

As a graduating senior, this school does have it's positives and negatives. The people here are pretty much open and welcoming, though there are the few who aren't as inviting, but that's normal. After reading some posts by freshmen,I'm kind of confused because there are some really great teachers here, it's just masked by the incompetent ones. Those who say this school has no class spirit is dead wrong. Probably they themselves don't participate in homecoming, battle or whatever. Plus, the graduating class is going to top schools in the world, I don't think being that smart comes without some help with teachers.

Posted April 5, 2010

This school has its ups and downs. The teachers for the freshman class aren't very good and the campus is covered with a huge amount of gum, but the students are mature and responsible and the class spirit is amazing.

Posted April 3, 2010

I'm a freshman at this school, and given the chance I would definitely attend a different school. There is only one part-time counselor to provide for the entire student body. The teachers are lacking experience and seem to all be hired from third-world countries. The campus, new as it is, is simply disgusting and there are black splotches of gum everywhere. There is absolutely no familiar school spirit at EVHS. I don't think that test scores alone can bring this school's rating up to a 10.

Posted March 26, 2010

This is my freshman year of high school and I already wish I had chosen somewhere else. Half of my teachers are incompetent and and have little to no control over their classes. The counseling is insufficient and the environment the students and faculty create often comes across as cold and impersonal. Teachers rarely seem to care about their students at all, and blame the students for their inability to teach.

Posted February 18, 2010

This place rocks. The only bad stuff is the usual high school stuff. I'm an angel though. 0:)

Posted September 16, 2009

Evergreen Valley High School is a great community of parents, kids and teachers who care about each other and are committed to academic excellence as well as creating well-rounded young adults.

Posted March 18, 2009

I went to this school and am now a few months away from graduation from CAL. I struggled in my first two years of college because I had not learned basic study skills and did not have the same level of knowledge or competitiveness as my peers. The school was already in decline before I graduated and I know from contact with teachers that things have definitely gotten worse (conflicts within administration, poor management, rise in disruptive behavior from students, etc.). I only did well here because I took extreme initiative in my classes and extra curricular activities. The average student would not excel here. I strongly believe that I was accepted to university because I wrote about the extreme and unusual disadvantages I had (lack of classes, self-learning for AP, etc.) while attending this school. Your kids are much better off going to nearby Silver Creek or Mt Pleasant.

Posted March 17, 2009

This school looks prestine on the outside but bad teachers on the inside. Needless to say, just because the school is new [est. in 2003] does NOT mean is good. Better school to attend to is Overfelt High or Independence High [they have better scores on testes then this school in a million years combine] . Your kids will thank you for it.

Posted March 10, 2009

I transferred out of this school half way through freshman year. I was made fun of for being white, and the schools environment was very unwelcoming.

Posted January 26, 2009

I was a student who was amongst the 2nd graduating class of EVHS. Initially in high school, to be honest, I was heavily unmotivated and in the 'bad' crowd of students. I was always skipping classes, failing classes, and just doing terribly. However, the only thing that made me realize my passion for education (and subsequently higher education) were the amazing faculty and principal -- Mr. McDonough. A teacher whose name I will not publicly mention actually called me in one day and sat me down after class to ask what was bothering me and why I was under-performing. Needless to say, I got my act together. Currently I'm at a high ranking UC studying a technical field with promising industrial and graduate school opportunities waiting for me shortly. Undoubtedly, without EVHS I wouldn't be the person I am today.

Posted November 22, 2008

Reading the negative reviews from emo 9th graders got me a bit irked... I'm a 2nd year teacher at EVHS and I have to say that it is by far the best high school I have had the pleasure of working for. The administration is busy but functional. The art programs are alive and flourishing. The school climate is positive. There are very few fights. Students and staff are friendly. Students are (for the most part) highly motivated and capable. My one complaint about the place is a lack of available technology for students and teachers. We have no computer lab - shameful! Just to be clear, I've subbed throughout the East Side district and seen just how inadequate other schools' facilities are. Kids - FYI: if your bathrooms are gross, try taking care of them instead of expecting your parents to clean up after you.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 12, 2008

My two children are attending EV. Both are very strong in math. I am glad they both had Mrs. Salgarino in AP Calculus AB and BC. They have never appreciated their math skills until they were challenged and loved by their math teacher. Thanks to Mrs. Salgarino and to all their math teachers. Sadly, Mrs. Salgarino is not with EV anymore.

Posted August 25, 2008

I graduated from EVHS a few years ago. When I first started, it was a great school with lots of promise. The small school system broke down after 2 years, and EVHS turned to a traditional high school format. Mr. McDonough was a great principal. Our test scores rose rapidly. So many students at that school were involved in sports and clubs, and there was a heavy emphasis on getting into college. There was a high rate of students taking (and passing) AP classes. The students were involved, and teachers genuinely cared about their students. Nowadays, administration at EVHS turned our school into something horrible. Hopefully new administration will come in, and students and teachers will once again love our school the way my peers and I did.

Posted August 15, 2008

I transferred to Evergreen Valley my midway through my Junior year. The school is nice but the communication and the way it is ran is horrible. I'm very disappointed to have come to this school and my high school experiences have become absolutely boring but I hope to change that my Senior year. The leadership class could barely be called leadership due to the lack of efforts from the students in the class and the student body seems to not even support Leadership kids. For example, parents, staff, and students have no idea what activities and events are going on until the very last minute or not even at all. The school lacks a sense of community and being. The students are friendly but they do not seem approachable. The school really needs to be improved. The only thing this school provides are looks and smart kids.

Posted August 15, 2008

this school is very very disorganized and there is lack of care for the students' future. as well as a lack of culture and diversity.

Posted August 12, 2008

My son has been @EVHS for 3 years and will be a senior this year @EVHS... He has nothing but good things to say about EVHS. He's made alot of friends with teachers + fellow students. He looks forward being a senior + graduating 2009...

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3300 Quimby Road