Evergreen Valley High School

Public | 9-12

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $428,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,200.

Posted June 25, 2014

This school has substantially improved since last year [which you read about in other people's reviews as I want to get to my points]. There is a lot of great things about the school. However, for introvert and shy kids, it can still be an uncomfortable place. There's over 2,600 kids at this school. People here are friendly, if almost too friendly. Extroversion and loudness is the norm, approaching obnoxious. You can still feel a gap with the rest of the population if you're not comfortable with that kind of environment. I've seen a lot of my introvert friends here become alienated from the whole school. With this, I transferred out to a smaller high school and loved the more intimate, peaceful environment. No one here flaunts about 'how they got a new phone or clothes' or other pretentious stuff. People were more willing to listen to you and also think about the world around us instead of burying oneself in repetitive social activities and academic work (they're both important, but there are times when you need to just step away and focus). In short, if you're shy at any level, a smaller school would be better. For everyone else, EVHS is heaven.

Posted May 21, 2014

This campus is a very beautiful place. This high school has a very welcoming environment and accepts all people. The spirit and livelihood in this community is unbelievable. I have not seen any experiences of bullying or exclusion in this school. For the education, it has extremely high scores and many of its students move onto UCs and other top notch universities. It is an unforgettable experience to be a part of Evergreen Valley High School.

Posted May 14, 2014

2013-2014 was a wonderful year for EVHS in all aspects. The excitement teeming on the first week of school with Welcome Week filled with balloons, pins, and other activities started off the year on point. The class pride and love during Homecoming with the Night Rally, Pep Rally, and class decorations was indescribably crazy. The coming together of many different students to honor the holidays during Winterfest presented such a warm atmosphere. The gym filled with 2000+ students & teachers cheering for their class and our school, all sweaty yet restless to invoke their love, showed just how important EVHS is during Battle of the Classes. In addition to these school-wide pride-inducing events, EVHS has almost a 100 different clubs participating to enrich our school and its people. Renowned for its beautiful diversity, our school campus is rocked everyday by cultural clubs including IDC, LSU, VSU, BSU, Polynesian, etc. The dedication and passion bursting through each student for academics and vigor is truly phenomenal. Our school community comes together to show just how talented and smart each individual is and that is what makes being a Cougar so amazing.

Posted May 3, 2014

EVHS is such an amazing school! I honestly feel like I'm getting the best high school experience at EV, an experience that I can't get anywhere else. EV is so diverse. It has a population of so many unique students, and we get to see all the amazing talents of each student at events like Winterfest, Homecoming, Battle of the Classes, and countless other school events! Our band is always a judge's favorite at every competition, the boy's golf team has only lost 6 games in their entire existence at EV, there are always students attending the national science fairs, our speech and debate team is amazing, and so much more.The Polynesian club and dance groups always perform at school events and at lunch just because they love doing it, our theater performances are always so professionally done, and there are over 80 clubs who enrich the lives of the student body. Our Leadership class does an incredible job of having monthly student weeks, we have at least 4 spirit rallies a semester, and the class spirit AND unity at battle and homecoming is beautiful. EVHS is remarkable, and I am so happy I am able to attend such a rewarding high school. GO COUGARS!

Posted April 30, 2014

I am a senior at EVHS this year and looking back through my years in high school, I have to say that I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else. The school spirit here is amazing and EVHS has so many different events to incorporate everyone such as Homecoming, multicultural Winterfest, Battle of the classes, and a lot more. Also, there's been many improvements just in the past year with the new administration that makes it easier for myself and my peers to find resources for our academic needs. I love EVHS and I will miss it deeply. Thank you for being like a second home to me!

Posted April 30, 2014

I really enjoyed my four years being at this school. I have enjoyed every single moment on the campus, surrounded by a community of teachers and students that really care about creating an effective learning environment and fostering growth not only in academics, but also personal growth.

Posted April 30, 2014

As a sophomore at EVHS, I've had the pleasure to spend two wonderful years at this school. My teachers have all been knowledgable about their specific subjects, the environment is friendly, and the opportunities are countless. Our school spirit is pretty much unbeatable. Hosted events such as Homecoming and Winterfest involve every student on campus. We also boast over 60 various clubs and several sports (many of them in A-League). Not to mention, EV has the highest API in the district. I truly look forward to attending school every morning, and I couldn't be prouder to be a Cougar.

Posted April 30, 2014

EVHS is definitely not your ordinary school. It's filled with a diverse group of amazing, talented, unique people. Not only do we rock academically but EVHS is extremely spirited. So before you think about going to this school be prepared for an amazing ride. EVHS has such a broad amount of activities that any student can participate in and attend. We have a Multicultural Winter Fest that is held every year to celebrate all the holidays. We also have Homecoming in which we bring the entire school together and we can't forget it's also to honor FOOTBALL. And lastly the main event is BOTC which is Battle of the Classes. Battle of the Classes is extremely intense and very competitive but it definitely brings the whole school together and showcases what the individual classes are capable of. It's something that is held yearly and is an event many students look forward to! In all honesty, I love EVHS and there isn't any other school id rather be in. The environment itself is so beautiful and the people there are just amazing. There are great teachers, variety of activities to chose from and an overload of SPIRIT!! EVHS has changed my life and I'm looking forward to the next 2 years.

Posted April 29, 2014

EVHS has truly changed. When I first entered EVHS, I heard many negative reviews about the school, naturally making me very scared to come here. Once I started school however, I realized that all of these stories are false. EV is in fact, a wonderful school to be at. Many worry that the teachers are bad, but this is true at every school and also EV compensates for these teachers by having amazing and motivating ones too. For all the years I've been here, I have formed really close bonds with some of my teachers, and they're willing to put in extra time and effort to help you in any way they can, you just have to ask! Another great thing about EV are the numerous event. In 2014, Leadership truly made it a goal to make sure that EV is not only more spirited, but to guarantee the student body that they get the most out of the high school experience. Whether it's Homecoming, Battle of the Classes, or the Multicultural Winterfest, the events held at EV are really great. One if my favorite parts about EV is the clubs. There are so many options for students to choose, ranging from Speech and Debate to Science and Tech, Tennis or sports, or cultural groups like Vietnamese and Indian.

Posted April 29, 2014

I have been at this school for 2 years and I can honestly say that EVHS is a wonderful school and has improved tremendously within the past year. The new admins are very helpful and more interactive with students. School spirit has risen a lot and the students here are full with cougar pride. Although some teachers are weaker at teaching, most of them provide plenty of material and help for the students to succeed. Our school is diverse and we love to embrace it! Winterfest is a cultural festival that we have each year and clubs such as BSU, LSU, VSU, Kababayan etc. add on to the culture. Test scores are the highest in the district and many students go off to amazing universities. We have events such as homecoming and battle of the classes, and it blows people's minds to see how amazing it is. The school is definitely a safe environment and the campus is beautiful. Our sports teams are in top leagues and we have amazing competitors in our math club, robotics, etc. There is so much about EV that I love and I'm positive that many others would agree.

Posted April 29, 2014

Words can't even explain how much I love EV. Although it's school, I personally enjoy coming everyday because the spirit, community, and overall environment is amazing. SOMETIMES, OUR SCHOOL FEELS LIKE HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL, BUT BETTER. Of course, EV has its cons, but what school doesn't? Besides, they're really minor. This school has become a really safe environment for me, and a good example too, celebrating all different diversities. Honestly, I just love everything about this school, even our colors! Go Cougars!

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen Valley High School is phenomenal. I've been here for almost four years, and I can honestly say that this school has truly shaped me into the person I am today. I've met so many amazing people with my time being here. Everyone at this school is very welcoming and super spirited. We love spirit days and most of the students go all out! EVHS offers many AP classes that will benefit students and their academic future. We have the highest API scores in the entire district. Not only are we academically strong, but we also offer many extracurricular actives, such as clubs and sports. We have a wide variety of clubs- with more than 30 to choose from! Our sports are incredibly impressive, as our Basketball Boys Varsity went to CCS this year. Overall, Evergreen is just life-changing. :) P.S. EVHS proms are always super amazing! As they say, high school is truly what you make of it. I am immensely happy that I chose EVHS as my high school. I love Evergreen Valley High School and I always will!!

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen Valley High School is phenomenal. I've been here for almost four years, and I can honestly say that this school has truly shaped me into the person I am today. I've met so many amazing people with my time being here. Everyone at this school is very welcoming and super spirited. We love spirit days and most of the students go all out! EVHS offers many AP classes that will benefit students and their academic future. We have the highest API scores in the entire district. Not only are we academically strong, but we also offer many extracurricular actives, such as clubs and sports. We have a wide variety of clubs- with more than 30 to choose from! Our sports are incredibly impressive, as our Basketball Boys Varsity went to CCS this year. Evergreen is just overall life-changing. :) P.S. EVHS proms are always super amazing! As they say, high school is truly what you make of it. I am immensely happy that I chose EVHS as my high school. I love Evergreen Valley High School and I always will!!

Posted April 29, 2014

I think that after the admin fix they did this year, and the absolute skyrocket in the spirit and school community this year, this school is now awesome. There are a couple of off teachers still but they're starting to change their ways, and are definitely a minority in comparison with all the awesome teachers.

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen Valley High School has definitely improved over the years that I have been here. With the new principal this year, there have been many positive changes to the system! Students are now offered the opportunity to take up to 4 AP classes, which is great compared to the limited amount in the past. Although many have complained that EV has 'bad teachers', I believe that that is inevitable for each and every school. Aside from academics, this year was the first time I've seen an abundance amount of school spirit from the 3 years I've been here. It definitely affected my high school experience in a positive manner,

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen is an amazing school with staff and teachers who support and encourage students daily. This school is extremely diverse by having a variety of clubs and multicultural school events. The events planned by students themselves are extremely extraordinary and makes the school united.

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen is an amazing school. The new principal and administration has done so much for our school; such as benches for people to eat and sit on, they walk around during break and lunch and interact with the students, and they are huge supporters of our sports program, always attending the games. Teachers at EV don't only teach us school material, but also valuable life lessons. We are also a diverse school, with many student unions (such as chinese student union, vietnamese student union, black student union, etc) who have fashion shows, performances, and spirit weeks for the students to participate in. Our sports teams are very dedicated and hard working and it definitely shows when it comes to the games/matches. Overall EV is a very good high school and we encourage everyone to come!

Posted April 29, 2014

Ok so there any many misconceptions that i am gonna clear here. this is my first year at evhs and it is probably the best school in our district by a landslide for many reasonds. Now heres why people. first off, the campus and staff are great, the campus has been extremely clean and safe, and our staff has been amazing this year. previous years i heard it was terrible but look, we have a new principal and a new principal. Ms. Kelly and Mr. Kleckner are probably the greatest people ever, they have cleaned up and made all the teachers better, they have stopped all drug use and violence whatsoever, and have made evhs a golden school. second, our counselors are amazing and we have our own online counseling database called naviance, where students can get all the help they can possibly imagine and are very involved and will help you with anything necessary. It is the best school in the district NOW, not before, but NOW, campus = amazing, staff = amazing, students = amazing, api score = highest in district, and finally, a loving and caring community == always there for you

Posted April 11, 2014

EVHS has changed a lot within the last year.No clue why some of the reviews are so stinky .The new Principal is bringing in lot of positive changes.My son feels very safe at the campus .Some of the Science and Math teachers are really good . EVHS has honors classes and they have at least 60 AP classes in various subjects! Parents have tools like school loop, school voice calls and emails to get information in a timely manner.I have seen the principal attending various events to boost the school spirit.Yes, the school has some problems just like all other campuses but with right leadership, school is moving into the right direction for sure. This school has good band program, nice athletic program and tons of clubs to choose from.Go cougars!

Posted March 21, 2014

EVHS has improved a lot over the year. More APs are offered to students who are willing to learn. Most of teachers are good, and responsible for. More info is shared with parents by phone and schoolloop

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3300 Quimby Road