Evergreen Valley High School

Public | 9-12 | 2715 students

College Prep

School Official Point of View

Posted October 11, 2014

Welcome to the Evergreen Valley High School webpage! EVHS is an amazing school that has achieved so much in its short existence. Since opening its doors in 2002, EVHS has grown to a student population of 2715 students. While this may seem like a large number, we are very proud that our students, parents, and faculty feel there is a closeness one would find in a small community. EVHS is a warm community where the staff is proud of their work and our students are proud to attend Evergreen. Our students know they are privileged to attend one of the best schools in the South Bay and they enjoy their years at EVHS. The test data at EVHS is a testament to student achievement and teacher effort. Students and staff earned an outstanding Academic Performance Index score of 866 in the 2012-13 school year. Approximately 1500 Advanced Placement exams were given in 2013-14 and the scores exceeded the national averages. Ninety-three percent of EVHS seniors self report moving on to the collegiate level with the remaining 7% entering the workforce, vocational careers, or the military. The school offers 17 different Advanced Placement Courses for college credit. Eleventh and 12th graders have the option to apply to the ACCEL mid level college program at Evergreen Community College, and the ability to attend over 30 courses at the Silicon Valley Career Technical Education Center (formerly named CCOC). EVHS also offers a full selection of courses that meet the California State University, University of California, and private college entrance requirements including advanced coursework in all content areas. The EVHS Counseling Department, teaching staff, and administrative team communicates with parents via email, School Loop, and multiple parent nights throughout the year. Additionally, all students have access to the online Naviance program for the purpose of college planning. The school webpage itself provides much information about the school including a daily email bulletin. Our counseling program also offers a comprehensive multi service program (MST) which assists students and parents by connecting them with community services. Our student government and our Leadership class lead our school activities which includes lunch time activities and entertainment, rallies, dances, haunted houses, and more. Approximately 1400 students attended the Homecoming dance in 2013-14 and there are dozens of large events held yearly. This includes the day and night rallies during homecoming, our famous Winterfest, and the Battle of the Classes. EVHS is very proud of its thriving and exciting extra and co-curricular offerings which include a full orchestra, band, wind ensemble, guitar program, choir, drama, visual arts, competitive robotics, and business program. There are 15 boys/girls sports including football, track and field, volleyball, basketball, badminton, soccer, baseball, softball, cross country, water polo, swimming, tennis, golf, wrestling, and cheerleading. EVHS athletics has won 17 Boy s Division Titles and 23 Girl s Titles with 8 teams becoming CCS Champions. Our school yearbook is nationally recognized and has been honored by the National Scholastic Press Association. Additionally, there are over 100 student clubs in which to participate. EVHS is also home to the Child Development Center which offers day care for qualifying families throughout the district. This program is run with the support of EVHS students who work in the center. Feel free to browse these offerings on the website. Students, we know you will enjoy your days at EVHS because being a Cougar is like having a second family! Lauren Kelly, Principal

Posted October 7, 2014

My school is honestly really awful. You think it's a nice school and all, but once you get in you realise how bad the teachers are, how the students struggle on what would be easy in other schools, and how dirty and nasty it is. I don't like anything about this school at all. The only thing holding this school together are the try-hard students who study so much and still barely scrape by in their AP classes. The only classes that were actually normal and good were PE and Art for me. The rest need better teachers. There are still some teachers in which students petitioned to get fired due to crazy behavior and inadequate teachings who are still working. I'm not sure if they have to keep the teacher by contract but if over 60+ students agreed this teacher should be fired, they should be fired. They need to find someone who can spot actual teachers and re-interview everybody and fire people who are unable to teach and discipline their students. We also are in desperate need of funds for basic things teachers need to teach, yet extra funds raised were used on some stupid beautifying project of painting cougar pawprints at the front of the school. It honestly looks disgusting.

Posted September 26, 2014

Do i know this school? Heck yeah! Every since I transferred in middle school, I've been anxiously wanting to get out of middle school and get to Evhs already.Now I am, my first year of highschool.At first everything is scary, but then as the day passes by, it's not that bad.There is no bullying here at all and no one is consider as a loner kids.I feel like I am part of something because there are a lot of activities during school and after that you can get involved.Although this school is over populated,everyone gets a chance to be part of something.No one gets left behind.Everyday is a new adventure here cause something new is always happening.So I recommend you to bring your kids here because it's a great place for them to be part of something.

Posted September 26, 2014

To examine a school deeply, one must dig down to its roots. A George Eliot once said, " It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses. And the roots of EVHS are its great students and stellar leadership. Unlike other schools, EVHS offers a comprehensive Leadership program that makes a direct, positive impact not just to the school but to the Evergreen Community as well. Students here are positively influential and dedicate their time to continue to build upon the stable roots of the school. Staff mostly demonstrate professionalism and respect for students. Obviously, there is never going to be an "invincible" school that reaches Perfectionism however EVHS is reaching this state like an exponential function.

Posted September 25, 2014

Of course, no school is perfect, but I believe EV is for sure darn close to it. As a student, not only is it an educational institute, but it's also a place where I can have fun and express myself. Our events (such as Homecoming, Winterfest, Battle) and spirit days/weeks are super fun with great participation from the student body. I honestly feel like I live in High School Musical sometimes. All in all, I love my school, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else for the world.

Posted September 25, 2014

EVHS is a wonderful school to be at. As of right now, 2014, I am a junior and I have spent 3 years at this school and have lived my entire life in this community. The day I first entered high school was so much different. I was scared that I would not fit in at first, but after the 1st week, all my fears dissipated. The students and upperclassmen especially, were so welcoming and open to weirdness and whatever opinions you had to express. These students were really the ones that set the example for all the incoming students. We know that when it is our time, we need to give back to those incoming students as well. Activities at EVHS can be rowdy and crazy but that's what is so amazing. Students of this school have the support from the staff to be able to pull it off. The recent administration has been wonderful - attending school/student events, conversing with students, participating in spirit weeks, etc. Although some students may complain of the teachers, I believe that at every school there are bad and good teachers. If you get a "bad" teacher, you can go find a teacher that you connect with and build a relationship with them. Everything is a matter of perspective. :)

Posted September 25, 2014

As a student of EVHS, I am proud to show off my campus and the community present within it. Evergreen Valley High School is beautiful, with an impressive campus and a caring student body. Our school not only features great academics and future leaders, but hosts a culture not seen at many modern schools. The atmosphere of EVHS can be felt once you walk through the gates of the school. At once, you will notice the beautiful murals painted by students and the clean campus which is maintained by staff and students alike. The partnership between staff and students allows EV to be a safe place, filled with people who genuinely care about each others' wellbeing. The students at EVHS are highly motivated and involved individuals, and the combination of intelligent and kind students creates a highly professional yet amicable environment. While there is high academic competition, there is without a doubt a high sense of community and pride for EVHS. There is no doubt in my mind that no other school demonstrates school spirit quite like Evergreen students.

Posted September 23, 2014

Believe it or not, no school is ever perfect. Trust me, you will see the same dirt in Valley Christian as you see in EV. But it is up to you if you want to be part of that dirt or the growing success's of the school. Evergreen Valley has healthy competition. I am not saying that we are perfect, but where there is success there will always be the people who try to pull you back down to their level. Some teachers are not as parents expect, but it is the students who make up the school. If students can not take up responsibility for their grades, and just blame it on their teachers, who are here trying their very best to give a education, for FREE, then it is not right to blame them. Especially for the fact that they are not payed as much as teachers in other states. I personally feel like, we as students need to take up the responsibility for our education because we have no right to blame others than out selves.

Posted June 25, 2014

This school has substantially improved since last year [which you read about in other people's reviews as I want to get to my points]. There is a lot of great things about the school. However, for introvert and shy kids, it can still be an uncomfortable place. There's over 2,600 kids at this school. People here are friendly, if almost too friendly. Extroversion and loudness is the norm, approaching obnoxious. You can still feel a gap with the rest of the population if you're not comfortable with that kind of environment. I've seen a lot of my introvert friends here become alienated from the whole school. With this, I transferred out to a smaller high school and loved the more intimate, peaceful environment. No one here flaunts about 'how they got a new phone or clothes' or other pretentious stuff. People were more willing to listen to you and also think about the world around us instead of burying oneself in repetitive social activities and academic work (they're both important, but there are times when you need to just step away and focus). In short, if you're shy at any level, a smaller school would be better. For everyone else, EVHS is heaven.

Posted May 21, 2014

This campus is a very beautiful place. This high school has a very welcoming environment and accepts all people. The spirit and livelihood in this community is unbelievable. I have not seen any experiences of bullying or exclusion in this school. For the education, it has extremely high scores and many of its students move onto UCs and other top notch universities. It is an unforgettable experience to be a part of Evergreen Valley High School.

Posted May 14, 2014

2013-2014 was a wonderful year for EVHS in all aspects. The excitement teeming on the first week of school with Welcome Week filled with balloons, pins, and other activities started off the year on point. The class pride and love during Homecoming with the Night Rally, Pep Rally, and class decorations was indescribably crazy. The coming together of many different students to honor the holidays during Winterfest presented such a warm atmosphere. The gym filled with 2000+ students & teachers cheering for their class and our school, all sweaty yet restless to invoke their love, showed just how important EVHS is during Battle of the Classes. In addition to these school-wide pride-inducing events, EVHS has almost a 100 different clubs participating to enrich our school and its people. Renowned for its beautiful diversity, our school campus is rocked everyday by cultural clubs including IDC, LSU, VSU, BSU, Polynesian, etc. The dedication and passion bursting through each student for academics and vigor is truly phenomenal. Our school community comes together to show just how talented and smart each individual is and that is what makes being a Cougar so amazing.

Posted May 3, 2014

EVHS is such an amazing school! I honestly feel like I'm getting the best high school experience at EV, an experience that I can't get anywhere else. EV is so diverse. It has a population of so many unique students, and we get to see all the amazing talents of each student at events like Winterfest, Homecoming, Battle of the Classes, and countless other school events! Our band is always a judge's favorite at every competition, the boy's golf team has only lost 6 games in their entire existence at EV, there are always students attending the national science fairs, our speech and debate team is amazing, and so much more.The Polynesian club and dance groups always perform at school events and at lunch just because they love doing it, our theater performances are always so professionally done, and there are over 80 clubs who enrich the lives of the student body. Our Leadership class does an incredible job of having monthly student weeks, we have at least 4 spirit rallies a semester, and the class spirit AND unity at battle and homecoming is beautiful. EVHS is remarkable, and I am so happy I am able to attend such a rewarding high school. GO COUGARS!

Posted April 30, 2014

I am a senior at EVHS this year and looking back through my years in high school, I have to say that I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else. The school spirit here is amazing and EVHS has so many different events to incorporate everyone such as Homecoming, multicultural Winterfest, Battle of the classes, and a lot more. Also, there's been many improvements just in the past year with the new administration that makes it easier for myself and my peers to find resources for our academic needs. I love EVHS and I will miss it deeply. Thank you for being like a second home to me!

Posted April 30, 2014

I really enjoyed my four years being at this school. I have enjoyed every single moment on the campus, surrounded by a community of teachers and students that really care about creating an effective learning environment and fostering growth not only in academics, but also personal growth.

Posted April 30, 2014

As a sophomore at EVHS, I've had the pleasure to spend two wonderful years at this school. My teachers have all been knowledgable about their specific subjects, the environment is friendly, and the opportunities are countless. Our school spirit is pretty much unbeatable. Hosted events such as Homecoming and Winterfest involve every student on campus. We also boast over 60 various clubs and several sports (many of them in A-League). Not to mention, EV has the highest API in the district. I truly look forward to attending school every morning, and I couldn't be prouder to be a Cougar.

Posted April 30, 2014

EVHS is definitely not your ordinary school. It's filled with a diverse group of amazing, talented, unique people. Not only do we rock academically but EVHS is extremely spirited. So before you think about going to this school be prepared for an amazing ride. EVHS has such a broad amount of activities that any student can participate in and attend. We have a Multicultural Winter Fest that is held every year to celebrate all the holidays. We also have Homecoming in which we bring the entire school together and we can't forget it's also to honor FOOTBALL. And lastly the main event is BOTC which is Battle of the Classes. Battle of the Classes is extremely intense and very competitive but it definitely brings the whole school together and showcases what the individual classes are capable of. It's something that is held yearly and is an event many students look forward to! In all honesty, I love EVHS and there isn't any other school id rather be in. The environment itself is so beautiful and the people there are just amazing. There are great teachers, variety of activities to chose from and an overload of SPIRIT!! EVHS has changed my life and I'm looking forward to the next 2 years.

Posted April 29, 2014

EVHS has truly changed. When I first entered EVHS, I heard many negative reviews about the school, naturally making me very scared to come here. Once I started school however, I realized that all of these stories are false. EV is in fact, a wonderful school to be at. Many worry that the teachers are bad, but this is true at every school and also EV compensates for these teachers by having amazing and motivating ones too. For all the years I've been here, I have formed really close bonds with some of my teachers, and they're willing to put in extra time and effort to help you in any way they can, you just have to ask! Another great thing about EV are the numerous event. In 2014, Leadership truly made it a goal to make sure that EV is not only more spirited, but to guarantee the student body that they get the most out of the high school experience. Whether it's Homecoming, Battle of the Classes, or the Multicultural Winterfest, the events held at EV are really great. One if my favorite parts about EV is the clubs. There are so many options for students to choose, ranging from Speech and Debate to Science and Tech, Tennis or sports, or cultural groups like Vietnamese and Indian.

Posted April 29, 2014

I have been at this school for 2 years and I can honestly say that EVHS is a wonderful school and has improved tremendously within the past year. The new admins are very helpful and more interactive with students. School spirit has risen a lot and the students here are full with cougar pride. Although some teachers are weaker at teaching, most of them provide plenty of material and help for the students to succeed. Our school is diverse and we love to embrace it! Winterfest is a cultural festival that we have each year and clubs such as BSU, LSU, VSU, Kababayan etc. add on to the culture. Test scores are the highest in the district and many students go off to amazing universities. We have events such as homecoming and battle of the classes, and it blows people's minds to see how amazing it is. The school is definitely a safe environment and the campus is beautiful. Our sports teams are in top leagues and we have amazing competitors in our math club, robotics, etc. There is so much about EV that I love and I'm positive that many others would agree.

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen Valley High School is phenomenal. I've been here for almost four years, and I can honestly say that this school has truly shaped me into the person I am today. I've met so many amazing people with my time being here. Everyone at this school is very welcoming and super spirited. We love spirit days and most of the students go all out! EVHS offers many AP classes that will benefit students and their academic future. We have the highest API scores in the entire district. Not only are we academically strong, but we also offer many extracurricular actives, such as clubs and sports. We have a wide variety of clubs- with more than 30 to choose from! Our sports are incredibly impressive, as our Basketball Boys Varsity went to CCS this year. Overall, Evergreen is just life-changing. :) P.S. EVHS proms are always super amazing! As they say, high school is truly what you make of it. I am immensely happy that I chose EVHS as my high school. I love Evergreen Valley High School and I always will!!

Posted April 29, 2014

Evergreen Valley High School is phenomenal. I've been here for almost four years, and I can honestly say that this school has truly shaped me into the person I am today. I've met so many amazing people with my time being here. Everyone at this school is very welcoming and super spirited. We love spirit days and most of the students go all out! EVHS offers many AP classes that will benefit students and their academic future. We have the highest API scores in the entire district. Not only are we academically strong, but we also offer many extracurricular actives, such as clubs and sports. We have a wide variety of clubs- with more than 30 to choose from! Our sports are incredibly impressive, as our Basketball Boys Varsity went to CCS this year. Evergreen is just overall life-changing. :) P.S. EVHS proms are always super amazing! As they say, high school is truly what you make of it. I am immensely happy that I chose EVHS as my high school. I love Evergreen Valley High School and I always will!!

Posted April 29, 2014

I think that after the admin fix they did this year, and the absolute skyrocket in the spirit and school community this year, this school is now awesome. There are a couple of off teachers still but they're starting to change their ways, and are definitely a minority in comparison with all the awesome teachers.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

193 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

668 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

645 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

351 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

632 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students20%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)82%
Parent education - college graduate86%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate67%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

676 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

662 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students93%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/AN/A
English language learners 4%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Quimby Oak MS
Chaboya MS
many others in east San Jose
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 48% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 48% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 2% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of CA schools
CSU Schools
Evergreen Community College
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Russian
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC Accredited (2012)
  • Us News Top 100 schools (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Lauren Kelly
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (400) 347-7005

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • access to Naviance
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Walk to school
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club
  • Dance club
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language club: Spanish
  • Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
  • Game club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Athletic Booster, Band Booster
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year
2715
Applications received for the 2014-2015 school year
2715
Students typically come from these schools
Quimby Oak MS
Chaboya MS
many others in east San Jose

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
University of CA schools
CSU Schools
Evergreen Community College
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
Community college courses
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
access to Naviance