San Jose, CA
Students enrolled: 2,715
After care: No
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to the Evergreen Valley High School webpage! EVHS is an amazing school that has achieved so much in its short existence. Since opening its doors in 2002, EVHS has grown to a student population of 2715 students. While this may seem like a large number, we are very proud that our students, parents, and faculty feel there is a closeness one would find in a small community. EVHS is a warm community where the staff is proud of their work and our students are proud to attend Evergreen. Our students know they are privileged to attend one of the best schools in the South Bay and they enjoy their years at EVHS. The test data at EVHS is a testament to student achievement and teacher effort. Students and staff earned an outstanding Academic Performance Index score of 866 in the 2012-13 school year. Approximately 1500 Advanced Placement exams were given in 2013-14 and the scores exceeded the national averages. Ninety-three percent of EVHS seniors self report moving on to the collegiate level with the remaining 7% entering the workforce, vocational careers, or the military. The school offers 17 different Advanced Placement Courses for college credit. Eleventh and 12th graders have the option to apply to the ACCEL mid level college program at Evergreen Community College, and the ability to attend over 30 courses at the Silicon Valley Career Technical Education Center (formerly named CCOC). EVHS also offers a full selection of courses that meet the California State University, University of California, and private college entrance requirements including advanced coursework in all content areas. The EVHS Counseling Department, teaching staff, and administrative team communicates with parents via email, School Loop, and multiple parent nights throughout the year. Additionally, all students have access to the online Naviance program for the purpose of college planning. The school webpage itself provides much information about the school including a daily email bulletin. Our counseling program also offers a comprehensive multi service program (MST) which assists students and parents by connecting them with community services. Our student government and our Leadership class lead our school activities which includes lunch time activities and entertainment, rallies, dances, haunted houses, and more. Approximately 1400 students attended the Homecoming dance in 2013-14 and there are dozens of large events held yearly. This includes the day and night rallies during homecoming, our famous Winterfest, and the Battle of the Classes. EVHS is very proud of its thriving and exciting extra and co-curricular offerings which include a full orchestra, band, wind ensemble, guitar program, choir, drama, visual arts, competitive robotics, and business program. There are 15 boys/girls sports including football, track and field, volleyball, basketball, badminton, soccer, baseball, softball, cross country, water polo, swimming, tennis, golf, wrestling, and cheerleading. EVHS athletics has won 17 Boy s Division Titles and 23 Girl s Titles with 8 teams becoming CCS Champions. Our school yearbook is nationally recognized and has been honored by the National Scholastic Press Association. Additionally, there are over 100 student clubs in which to participate. EVHS is also home to the Child Development Center which offers day care for qualifying families throughout the district. This program is run with the support of EVHS students who work in the center. Feel free to browse these offerings on the website. Students, we know you will enjoy your days at EVHS because being a Cougar is like having a second family! Lauren Kelly, Principal
October 11, 2014

Posted October 29, 2014
EVHS has such a bad reputation, but it's not really THAT bad. There are really bad teachers, but everyone forgets that there are also a handful of good teachers who really make your high school years memorable. In terms of spirit, there really is none. The Homecoming rally and BOTC are the only big events worth going to at EV. I had the option of going to Silver Creek but I chose EV because I knew it would be more beneficial to me in terms of getting into college. Yes, this school has lousy teachers, but if you're a GOOD student you take the good with the bad and try to make the most out of it. I am currently a college student attending a top university and I can tell you that most of what I have learned at EV has really carried over into college.

Evergreen Valley High School 1

Posted October 07, 2014
My school is honestly really awful. You think it's a nice school and all, but once you get in you realise how bad the teachers are, how the students struggle on what would be easy in other schools, and how dirty and nasty it is. I don't like anything about this school at all. The only thing holding this school together are the try-hard students who study so much and still barely scrape by in their AP classes. The only classes that were actually normal and good were PE and Art for me. The rest need better teachers. There are still some teachers in which students petitioned to get fired due to crazy behavior and inadequate teachings who are still working. I'm not sure if they have to keep the teacher by contract but if over 60+ students agreed this teacher should be fired, they should be fired. They need to find someone who can spot actual teachers and re-interview everybody and fire people who are unable to teach and discipline their students. We also are in desperate need of funds for basic things teachers need to teach, yet extra funds raised were used on some stupid beautifying project of painting cougar pawprints at the front of the school. It honestly looks disgusting.

Posted September 26, 2014
Do i know this school? Heck yeah! Every since I transferred in middle school, I've been anxiously wanting to get out of middle school and get to Evhs already.Now I am, my first year of highschool.At first everything is scary, but then as the day passes by, it's not that bad.There is no bullying here at all and no one is consider as a loner kids.I feel like I am part of something because there are a lot of activities during school and after that you can get involved.Although this school is over populated,everyone gets a chance to be part of something.No one gets left behind.Everyday is a new adventure here cause something new is always happening.So I recommend you to bring your kids here because it's a great place for them to be part of something.

Posted September 26, 2014
To examine a school deeply, one must dig down to its roots. A George Eliot once said, " It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses. And the roots of EVHS are its great students and stellar leadership. Unlike other schools, EVHS offers a comprehensive Leadership program that makes a direct, positive impact not just to the school but to the Evergreen Community as well. Students here are positively influential and dedicate their time to continue to build upon the stable roots of the school. Staff mostly demonstrate professionalism and respect for students. Obviously, there is never going to be an "invincible" school that reaches Perfectionism however EVHS is reaching this state like an exponential function.

Posted September 25, 2014
Of course, no school is perfect, but I believe EV is for sure darn close to it. As a student, not only is it an educational institute, but it's also a place where I can have fun and express myself. Our events (such as Homecoming, Winterfest, Battle) and spirit days/weeks are super fun with great participation from the student body. I honestly feel like I live in High School Musical sometimes. All in all, I love my school, and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else for the world.

Posted September 25, 2014
EVHS is a wonderful school to be at. As of right now, 2014, I am a junior and I have spent 3 years at this school and have lived my entire life in this community. The day I first entered high school was so much different. I was scared that I would not fit in at first, but after the 1st week, all my fears dissipated. The students and upperclassmen especially, were so welcoming and open to weirdness and whatever opinions you had to express. These students were really the ones that set the example for all the incoming students. We know that when it is our time, we need to give back to those incoming students as well. Activities at EVHS can be rowdy and crazy but that's what is so amazing. Students of this school have the support from the staff to be able to pull it off. The recent administration has been wonderful - attending school/student events, conversing with students, participating in spirit weeks, etc. Although some students may complain of the teachers, I believe that at every school there are bad and good teachers. If you get a "bad" teacher, you can go find a teacher that you connect with and build a relationship with them. Everything is a matter of perspective. :)

Posted September 25, 2014
As a student of EVHS, I am proud to show off my campus and the community present within it. Evergreen Valley High School is beautiful, with an impressive campus and a caring student body. Our school not only features great academics and future leaders, but hosts a culture not seen at many modern schools. The atmosphere of EVHS can be felt once you walk through the gates of the school. At once, you will notice the beautiful murals painted by students and the clean campus which is maintained by staff and students alike. The partnership between staff and students allows EV to be a safe place, filled with people who genuinely care about each others' wellbeing. The students at EVHS are highly motivated and involved individuals, and the combination of intelligent and kind students creates a highly professional yet amicable environment. While there is high academic competition, there is without a doubt a high sense of community and pride for EVHS. There is no doubt in my mind that no other school demonstrates school spirit quite like Evergreen students.

Posted September 23, 2014
Believe it or not, no school is ever perfect. Trust me, you will see the same dirt in Valley Christian as you see in EV. But it is up to you if you want to be part of that dirt or the growing success's of the school. Evergreen Valley has healthy competition. I am not saying that we are perfect, but where there is success there will always be the people who try to pull you back down to their level. Some teachers are not as parents expect, but it is the students who make up the school. If students can not take up responsibility for their grades, and just blame it on their teachers, who are here trying their very best to give a education, for FREE, then it is not right to blame them. Especially for the fact that they are not payed as much as teachers in other states. I personally feel like, we as students need to take up the responsibility for our education because we have no right to blame others than out selves.

Evergreen Valley High School 3

Posted June 25, 2014
This school has substantially improved since last year [which you read about in other people's reviews as I want to get to my points]. There is a lot of great things about the school. However, for introvert and shy kids, it can still be an uncomfortable place. There's over 2,600 kids at this school. People here are friendly, if almost too friendly. Extroversion and loudness is the norm, approaching obnoxious. You can still feel a gap with the rest of the population if you're not comfortable with that kind of environment. I've seen a lot of my introvert friends here become alienated from the whole school. With this, I transferred out to a smaller high school and loved the more intimate, peaceful environment. No one here flaunts about 'how they got a new phone or clothes' or other pretentious stuff. People were more willing to listen to you and also think about the world around us instead of burying oneself in repetitive social activities and academic work (they're both important, but there are times when you need to just step away and focus). In short, if you're shy at any level, a smaller school would be better. For everyone else, EVHS is heaven.

Posted May 21, 2014
This campus is a very beautiful place. This high school has a very welcoming environment and accepts all people. The spirit and livelihood in this community is unbelievable. I have not seen any experiences of bullying or exclusion in this school. For the education, it has extremely high scores and many of its students move onto UCs and other top notch universities. It is an unforgettable experience to be a part of Evergreen Valley High School.

Evergreen Valley High School
3300 Quimby Road, San Jose, CA  95148
Last modified Evergreen Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Evergreen Valley High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 128 reviews. Top