No rating

Holy Spirit

Private | K-8 | 528 students

Living in San Jose

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $823,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted June 24, 2014

My third child will enter Holy Spirit School this year and he can't wait! Every year we wonder if we have made the right choice by sending our three children to HSS and every year's back to school night confirms that this is the environment we want for them - a place for them to grow and thrive; to be educated in their faith and academics; to be nurtured and appreciated for their individuality; to be held responsible for their actions; and to recognize their role in their community. These are two of the things teachers have said to us: "My job is to make your child love to learn." "Children make mistakes and we will love them through it as they grow." We are very happy at Holy Spirit and so are our kids!

Posted April 17, 2014

We are extremely pleased with the school, in particular with the quality of the teachers. My son is currently in first grade and the progress that he has made during the year is amazing. As many boys of his age, reading is not his forte, but the teacher he has is just wonderful. His reading has improved so much that so far he has read more than 35 books! I also like the fact that the school uses a lot of the current technology that is available for education. Math has been always easy for my son, but the teacher uses apps and other programs that are adaptive, so my son constantly feels challenge. At the beginning he felt troubled, because he used to believe that he didn't need to try that hard in Math, but now, he is really engage with learning and curious about learning what is next.

Posted March 13, 2014

After searching high and low for a school, I stumbled upon HSS. From the extremely helpful office staff, amazing teachers and families, we have truly been blessed to be a part of such a wonderful school and community. My son entered PreK this year and has blossomed. The quality of education that the students receives ranks high. I recommend this school to anyone in the South San Jose area. My son will continue his elementary/middle education as a Coyote!

Posted February 5, 2014

Full Time Learning Specialist. Teachers are open to implementation of accommodations. Children are not made fun of because of different learning styles.

Posted January 7, 2014

Great community. Great teachers. Wonderful academic programs with great new system to help bridge the gap in all levels of learning.

Posted September 17, 2013

Leaving Holy Spirit school is very sad. I was very connected with a number of families. We were disconnected with everything else. The school itself is mediocre. There is no attention put on the individual child and how they relate to other children. It's a mean environment for kids and even worse for the parents. My children were in some classes for years with parents that were still asking me who I was, because they couldn't be bothered to look up at an unfamiliar face. I knew who they were. When we left we realized there are normal nice families and kids can be asked to be kind to each other and when expected to they will.

Posted May 14, 2013

We enrolled my son last year in Kindergarten and we couldn't be happier about our decision. He attended an outstanding early development center, so the bar was already high. But the teachers at Holy Spirit have been wonderful and the principal too. I will definitively recommend it to anyone.

Posted September 25, 2012

I read many of the reviews and simply stated the negative reviews are wrong. This is a Catholic School that holds to high standards of being actively part of the greater community. They have high standards for academics as they are preparing you for Catholic High Schools and eventually university. The teachers overall are awesome - this is not a job to them - it's a vocation. They often get paid less than public school teachers who are in the system well past their prime. They can hire and fire based on performance which is nice to see. If you have a problem child - public school is probably better for them. They won't get away with anything at Holy Spirit. Church and spiritual teaching is very important and is a big part of the school. Yes, parents are expected to volunteer so as to lead by example for their children. No absentee parents allowed. The school is by no means perfect but they are well ahead of the public schools that are underfunded, overcrowded and understaffed. It's a great school - I have 2 children presently at the school and 1 who graduated and is now at Saint Francis. I would highly recommend sending your chrildren to Holy Spirit if they can get in

Posted January 30, 2012

At one point I had 2 children at HSS. One of my children attended this school for 9 long years and is now in high school and doing great. My child was well prepared although she 'lost' a year in math due to a really bad teacher. Academically, the teachers and standards are ruthless. There is no grace, forgiveness or second chances here! They select only the cream of the crop here either at the entrance process or by self-elimination because of the rigidity. Kids get in trouble for running and kicking the ball at recess!!! Our child made a lot of friends there. Spiritually, my child and her friends were jaded and very cynical and weren t afraid to mock prayer time or going to mass. The children saw a disconnect in what they were being taught spiritually, and what they actually saw in action. If social and spiritual development is as important to you as academics, look somewhere else. Be prepared to participate in endless fundraisers, 40 volunteer hours are MANDATORY, there are parent cliques and the receptionists are very partial to people they like (except for the brunette that works Fridays and has a smile for EVERYONE). Snooty attitudes abound! My other kid is happy elsewhere!

Posted September 4, 2011

My older son went to HSS from kindergarten and graduated two years ago. Because of the great teachers and strong curriculum he was very ready for the rigors of high school. The school also does a fabulous job of developing a positive character in all its students. HSS has a new principal this year who has been the assistant principal. She is an experienced educator and administrator. The kids and parents love her.

Posted June 8, 2011

My daughter has just completed Pre-K at Holy Spirit. She has learned so much this year. All her numbers, letters and their sounds, and has much improved penmanship. She LOVES her teacher Mrs. D'Amico and the aids, Mrs. Moyano and Mrs. Matalone are nothing short of saints to her.. They give lots of attention and direction to the children and model responsible, kind and compassionate behavior. My daughter seems to have become more attentive to other's feelings and has more confidence. We have been extremely pleased with the whole school and have found the school staff and other parents very warm and helpful. As for the play area, Pre-K uses the Kindergarten area when the Kindergarten is in class. They make do with what areas they do have and it is fenced in with a play structure and plenty of "grass."

Posted April 12, 2011

My daughter had a wonderful experience with the screening process. The teachers were compassionate, kind and friendley. My daughter tends to be shy but really felt comfortable with the teachers. We have heard that Holy Spirit School is a wonderful community and we cannot wait to send our daughter in the fall!

Posted April 11, 2011

My child also went through the Kindergarten screening process at Holy Spirit School this spring and had a blast. The teachers and staff were welcoming and warm but did not talk down to and baby him. The teachers explained in easy to understand terms what was going to happened to the group of parents and kids in the Library before having the kids say bye to their parents and line up and walk to the Kindergarten classroom. Only 2 kids out of the 14 seemd to not understand what was going to happen and were afraid to leave their parents. My son grabbed the hand of one of the teachers and went on his way. He enjoyed meeting the teachers and new friends. My goddaughter is at the school as well. She is developed into a compassionate young woman who tutors neighborhood kids from the public schools and she has received acceptance letters from all three Catholic high schools she applied to.

Posted March 26, 2011

No place for the kids to play outside. Have no bully policy. Principal does not have enough experience.

Posted February 21, 2011

I would agree with the posts below about the shiny campus comments as well as the school praising itself for its values. If you look closely at this school, as others have mentioned, you start to see that it can fall short of living its values which is disappointing when you consider this is a good part of what you are paying for at a Catholic School. You can get a better value overall attending high ranking public schools or for a competitive private school - Almaden Country School.

Posted February 17, 2011

We had a very unpleasant experience w/ the Kindergarten screening process at Holy Spirit School. My son felt a bit intimidated by having to join a group of 14 kids plus 2 teachers for the screening test. He had never neen t the school before and did not know anyone there. He refused to enter the classroom and no one from the Holy Spirit staff reached out to engage him and try to make him more confortable. The staff member coordinating the process could only suggest that he was too young for Kindergarten. She had never met my son before and jumped into her own conclusions based on a 5 minute event. I expereinced a very unfriendly environment for a school that praises itself for values, sense of community, parents and teacher working toghether. I guess the tale that they only have a "pretty campus" remains true.

Posted February 12, 2011

Don't just look at the shiny campus!!! Look at the stuff, teachers and their attitude. We have found that they are quite "full of them self's" and not as warm as caring as other schools. We decided to go with another school. So, look around and just don't be fooled by the shiny new campus.

Posted November 18, 2010

My daughter goes to this school and she loves it! The teachers are wonderful and I really think it is a good community to be a part of. We are looking forward to many more years here!

Posted August 30, 2010

My review is with regards to Holy Spirit's Summer School Program. Our son attended this past summer (2010) and we were very disappointed. The charges for the program are ridiculous. They charge you buy 2.5 hours sessions that are then summed up to a full day. The prices were outrageous compared to other private summer school's in the area. The program is only 4 weeks long. The teacher for my son's class was not present for at least one week. Random people (relatives, grandmother's) took the class in her absense. I did not see that my son had worked on anything until the 3rd week of summer school. The before and after school daycare was very disappointing. The children were not really allowed to play outside and the children seemed very down. Finally, there was no way to contact anyone directly during the school day. Not recommended for summer school.

Posted February 6, 2010

the principal is focused on young kids with 'GOOD MORNING COYOTES' and mostly ignores the older kids. He rarely comes into the classrooms and can have an angry temper. Mrs Cully was better.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Pacific Islander 12% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Peggy Krewson
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of San Jose

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1198 Redmond Avenue