K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

As parents one of our most important assignments is to see that our children are properly educated. When my husband and I choose Holy Spirit for our family 10 years ago, we delegated a large part of our responsibility and a significant portion of our children's education to the teachers and staff. We are so fortunate that the influence our kids are exposed to at Holy Spirit reinforce our own teachings. It takes a village to raise our children. At Holy Spirit our teachers, school administration and church are certainly part of our village. Without a doubt we feel we did our research and trusted in our faith many years ago and couldn’t be happier. This year we have one graduating from Holy Spirit and one with a few years left. I truly feel my 8th grader is prepared for Catholic High School and has benefited in so many ways by being a student and member of the Holy Spirit Community. No one school is the perfect fit for all, but for my family it has been a blessing.

I'd like to correct a few things about Holy Spirit school and church. We are one faith community - the school doesn't merely share a campus - we are connected with our faith journey. The emergency Shelter is open from 7:00pm through 7:00am - when the children are not on campus. I feel this shelter has been a transformative experience for our catholic community and I why I send me children to a Catholic School.

I have 3 children at Holy Spirit and have been at the school for the last 10 years. I’m not a person who writes many reviews but when I run into this last review when doing a google search I was saddened by this parent’s experience which seems to be so different from mine. So while I respect everyone’s opinions, I also think it’s fair to offer the perspective of someone who has been happy with the school for many years. Let me start by saying that HSS is NOT perfect for everyone. But what school is? With that being said, here are my two (or three) cents: 1. I believe we have an amazing team of educators and staff who truly care about the kids. They all understand that the kids are work-in-progress; something that we parents tend to forget sometimes when we get impatient about a grade or a bad conduct report. 2. We have an amazing community of parents, teachers and staff and the school makes a real effort to build it up because they know that a strong school community directly affects the academic and social performance of our kids. 3. I’m very happy with the faith and character formation and the many opportunities to practice our faith and serve others (one of the reasons why I invest in a Catholic education for my kids). I am actually one of many parents who welcomed the church’s decision to open it’s doors during the night to 15 homeless women this cold and rainy winter. What an amazing opportunity to volunteer and teach our children that our small sacrifices can save lives! You can’t learn that from books. The bottom line: I love who my kids are becoming, and it’s only fair to give half of the credit to the educational institution where they spend most of their day.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Is the school developing these values? YES. Do all kids show honesty, integrity and fairness all the time? NO, because they are human and we all struggle with that even as adults. But for 10 years I have seen every one of my kids' teachers work on instilling those values in 100 different ways (usually integrated with the curriculum)

We have two children at HSS and overall we are NOT HAPPY with school or the administration. Since we started there 3 years ago the staff turnover has been incredibly high, partly due to the Principal who is still there. Overall the communication between the Administration and most of the Teachers to the Parents is very poor. At the end of December (2015) the Church (attached to the school) decided to open a Homeless Shelter 7 days a week from 7 AM to 7 PM. Neither the School nor the Church informed the parents of this until it was already decided on. The school is not very secure, and we are incredibly worried about the safety of our two young children. The parents were not given any say in the decision of homeless shelter whatsoever, and because it is mid-year we feel it is too disruptive to take our kids out of the school. We are angry and upset that the School would not bring this up for a vote at the very least, given the 5-10% increase in Tuition that we pay each year. We will be leaving the school at the end of this school year and we do not recommend this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Some of the teachers are great and others are bad. The school also cut the 1st grade aid because of low enrollment and many of the children are needing outside tutors.

Develops character: Disagree

I feel that through preach these values but do not practice what they preach in regards to how they allow the kids to treat each other and how they treat the parents.

My third child will enter Holy Spirit School this year and he can't wait! Every year we wonder if we have made the right choice by sending our three children to HSS and every year's back to school night confirms that this is the environment we want for them - a place for them to grow and thrive; to be educated in their faith and academics; to be nurtured and appreciated for their individuality; to be held responsible for their actions; and to recognize their role in their community. These are two of the things teachers have said to us: "My job is to make your child love to learn." "Children make mistakes and we will love them through it as they grow." We are very happy at Holy Spirit and so are our kids!

We are extremely pleased with the school, in particular with the quality of the teachers. My son is currently in first grade and the progress that he has made during the year is amazing. As many boys of his age, reading is not his forte, but the teacher he has is just wonderful. His reading has improved so much that so far he has read more than 35 books! I also like the fact that the school uses a lot of the current technology that is available for education. Math has been always easy for my son, but the teacher uses apps and other programs that are adaptive, so my son constantly feels challenge. At the beginning he felt troubled, because he used to believe that he didn't need to try that hard in Math, but now, he is really engage with learning and curious about learning what is next.

After searching high and low for a school, I stumbled upon HSS. From the extremely helpful office staff, amazing teachers and families, we have truly been blessed to be a part of such a wonderful school and community. My son entered PreK this year and has blossomed. The quality of education that the students receives ranks high. I recommend this school to anyone in the South San Jose area. My son will continue his elementary/middle education as a Coyote!

Last modified Holy Spirit is a Private school that serves grades K-8