No rating

Challenger-Almaden

Private | K-8 | 209 students

Student diversity

Living in San Jose

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $823,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,630.

Posted April 28, 2006

Both of my children have been going to Challenger since they were 3 years old. They love it. They are in first grade now and the academic load is really noticable for my child that works slowly. However, for my faster worker, the homework is no problem. I really love that they focus on academics and don't waste time with any political or social programs. They do, however, instill a sense of patriotism and kindness to others through songs and reading material. They also study art, computers, music and afterschool programs. The atmosphere at school is friendly, but strict. Every day when I drop them off, they are greeted by name with a hug from a teacher. They are not allowed to talk while eating lunch. Lots of drills with fun music. They always come home happy--but exhausted.

Posted April 9, 2006

Only focus on academics.Nothing else there

Posted March 6, 2006

The best thing about the school is that my kids have learned a lot in reading, writing, singing. My kids like the school, and they enjoy the learning. I don't think I have enough chance to meet other parents.

Posted March 4, 2006

very happy about the Challenger school program, both my kids attend the Harwood campus and I am planning in keeping them there until 8th grade.

Posted February 23, 2006

This is my daughter's second year at Challenger. She started there when she was 3. The program is pretty academic. Last year she was working on learning her letter sounds this year she is learning to add and subtract small numbers and to blend sounds into words. The quality of the teachers seems uneven to me. That is last year her teachers were great, this year not so much. This may be because there was a large enrollement for her age group. I wish the program were more creative or flexible, but I don't think she feels pressured or anything. She has plenty of time to play with her friends and enjoys school and what she learns. Singing and music are a big part of the teaching process. The kids learn songs that teach them about dinosaurs, volcanos, presidents, etc. I hope they do more with rhythm next year.

Posted February 19, 2006

Exemplary curricula and leadership. Glad we moved our 4 year old is enrolled.

Posted February 19, 2006

Lack of diversity and extreme emphasis on competition as early as age 3 make this school unworthy of its' high costs.

Posted September 24, 2005

I would highly recommend this school for anyone with preschool and elementary aged kids. My kids started here and the teachers have this 'gift' of opening up the kids minds and make learning fun. The atmosphere is happy and the kids really love it here.

Posted July 20, 2005

I would not recommend for you to send your child to this school. I have sent my child to Challenger at two other locations. I was not pleased with this school. Some of the teachers are not very friendly or professional. They arent willing to work with your child. It's always about homework and competing for the best scores putting too much pressure on the child. If your child falls behind then that is too bad. There is no help in sight. You are on your own. As for the principle, I was not impressed with the him either. You pay Challenger so that you end up doing the homework/projects for your child. Why? The homework they provide is so unrealistic thus the name Challenger. Also, the grading is biased. Your money will not be well spent here.

Posted July 15, 2005

This is the worst school I have ever seen with worst management.The management is very arrogant. Teachers either lacked the teaching experience or remained abscent for many days during school year. The substitutes were so bad that they would just come and sit in the class and do nothing. There is too much favoritism in every aspect of school life. It is very demoralising to the young mind of your kids if he/she is competitive by nature. We felt that we wasted our hard-earned money and on top of it were treated badly.

Posted April 14, 2005

Great for academics. Not much for social, emotional,or extracurricular activites. Not very diverse.

Posted March 21, 2005

This school is one of the worst amongst the challenger schools. It has very few students in middle school, and has constant changes in school teachers. There is also a lot of boosterism, with certain parents unduly influencing their children through constantly working with teachers and biasing them in their evaluation of kids. I would not recommend any parent to send their kid to a school where teachers do not fairly evaluate a student, and are influenced by parents. This bias is obvious and very open, and other students see this behavior and get very de-motivated.

Posted December 2, 2004

Located in an excellent location and teaches far more than even the best schools.
—Submitted by a student