San Jose, CA

Posted March 13, 2015
I have two student’s an 8th and 5th grader that currently attend Adelante and have been since Kinder. I am shocked to read the negative review about our Directora. I can assure anyone looking into this school that our Principal AKA Directora is an amazing, warm, hardworking, and dedicated individual with a laser focus on student growth. In terms of not being able participate as a parent coordinator this could be the case because we only have one parent coordinator per grade but every parent has the opportunity to be involved in a great many other capacities. I for one have been a parent coordinator, room parent, School Site Council member, District Advisory Council, and list goes on. Can Adelante improve? Absolutely, we can always improve in all aspects of the school. I'm happy to say our principal has won principal of the year and Adelante this year has won the distinguished Santa Clara County Glen Hoffman award. Interested parents should visit the school for themselves and make their own determination.

Adelante Dual Language Academy 1

Posted February 12, 2015
Horrible leadership. The directora is so monotone, the students don't even seem like they know her. I don't know about any clicks because I can't tell who's running what. Everything is disorganized. Rarely ever know whats going on. If you don't speak spanish, you're not included in much. This school only respects Mexican culture. The kids can't even celebrate Valentines Day, which is an American tradition. They spend a whole month on Dia De Los Muertos, which is only celebrated in Mexico. The Mexican culture is beautiful, but I brought my kids here to learn spanish, not how to be Mexican. They need new parents to put some enthusiasm back into this school. The morning Apretuda is painfully boring. A lot of promises fell through. Five years ago this was a wonderful diverse school. Not disgruntled, just being honest.

Posted October 19, 2014
Adelante is one of the most beautiful schools my kids have ever attended. The claims by the disgruntled "parent" posted on 8/29/14 are absolutely untrue. I sought out a position as a Parent Coordinator when my son transferred to the school in October of 3rd grade. He is now in middle school. I did not know or am in no way related to our Directora. Since then, there have been many additions to our group in different grade levels, not just Kinder. As for answers from the office, my calls are picked up about 80% of the time. Like any other school, it is impossible to answer the phone all the time. My son's 2 years in middle school have had 50% of Spanish instruction which might increase this year due to the addition of a full time Spanish teacher. It breaks my heart that a very small group of unhappy people are making false claims about such a beautiful school. I challenge those of you to seek out a leadership role within the school and help make it even better instead of trying to spread false claims. Adelante has far surpassed my expectations of a great school. And I, for one, will continue to seek out opportunities to help improve the school like most Adelante parents.

Adelante Dual Language Academy 2

Posted August 29, 2014
used to be a great school community but too many cliques among parents. If you aren't the in-crowd don't expect to be invited to serve on any meaningful committee or leadership because they make them lifetime appointments and don't include new families or outside the Directoras circle (example no new Parent coordinators are welcome in any grade except kinder because they never rotate off so no new leadership ever!) Don't ever expect a timely response from the office or even an answer during school hours. Disappointing decline the past 3 years. Too many teachers leave each year and much of upper grades don't do 50% Spanish as advertised!!
7 people found this helpful

Adelante Dual Language Academy 3

Posted August 19, 2014
Academically I have been satisfied for the most part, the teachers take great pride in their work, and it shows. I expected more of a community feel at this school, but it seems there are certain established groups. That may be attributed to a lack of strong leadership, definitely the downside of the school. Depending on who you are, or who you know, your concerns may go unaddressed for months by administration.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 16, 2011
Excellent Spanish Dual Language Immersion School. My children have been with the school since it's inception. The schools API scores continue to rise. The MESA Club won a major bridge competition. The school is still small enough for parents and students to develop sincere relationships. Parents devote hundreds of hours volunteering in the classroom, developing the yearbook, organizing fundraisers, writing grants, and coaching in the athletic program. Our school is doing so well that 25% of the students are inter-district transfers. Both my children scored advanced in language arts on the state standards exam. Adelante is a diamond in the rough.

Adelante Dual Language Academy 4

Posted October 13, 2010
Great Spanish Dual Immersion program that is a small public school - NOT A CHARTER! My child has been in it since it started 7 years ago, and he speaks and understands Spanish well, and we mainly speak English. Scores are picking up now, just like Prof Marty said, we won't see results until late junior or High School. High parent participation and teachers who care. We aren't perfect, but I wouldn't change it, if I could.

Adelante Dual Language Academy 3

Posted March 15, 2010
I am a parent of 2 students at Adelante. My daughter is in 4th grade and my son is in 2nd grade. They really enjoy attending school each day. This year, the school grew a lot bringing in students from another school. This isn't a small school no more. We are very disappointed with administration. They don't quite follow thru, never there and seem very disorganized. We are notified about last minute events and they never answer the phone. The principal used to be more professional, easy going & understanding. Teachers from Adelante are very supportive and enthusiastic. We wonder how they do it because they have a tough load. Many times they don't go home until after school events, well after 7 or 8 pm. There is a lot of parent involvement in class and school events. My children enjoy going to class and

Posted January 11, 2010
Hands down to Adelante. I'm a proud parent for 6 years both of my children as well as 95% of my daycare attend this great school. I currently live on the south side of San Jose where I travel 15-20 min each day to get all my kids to Adelante. It's all well worth it. My kids are fluentin Spanish at the grade of 2. The school promised by 8th so they are on top of things at Adelante.

Adelante Dual Language Academy 0

Posted October 13, 2009
Adelante is a dual language school where parents are highly involved and the staff is very responsive. We feel like the school is our second family. My children are reading, writing and speaking in two languages. The rating I give this school is a four.

Adelante Dual Language Academy
2999 Ridgemont Drive, San Jose, CA  95127
(408) 928-1900
Last modified Adelante Dual Language Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Adelante Dual Language Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top