No rating

The Harker School Lower Division

Private | K-6

Student diversity

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $620,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted yesterday

The Harker School is the most complete/well-rounded educational experience in the bay area. The head of school for K-3 is a smart, savvy administrator. The counselor that works hand-in-hand with academic head is beyond amazing. Excellent administration for K-3. We have not hit the later grades yet so can't speak beyond the early years. The school is incredibly well organized, they know each and every child and are laser focused on what is in the best interest of the child. Communication is very strong and parents are well informed. The parent community is incredibly warm. The children are respectful and kind. Staff set expectations high and children rise to meet expectations. My second grader is learning how to study and be a responsible, hard-working student yet I have to drag him out of school around 5:30 every day because he does not want to leave all the fun! The lunch options, snack bar and before/lunch/after school recent college graduate staff are all phenomenal. We have attended top 20 east coast prep, and other schools in the bay area and Harker is the most complete program. We are so thrilled to have found Harker!

Posted June 15, 2014

Lots of bullying and the admin seemed to try very hard not to have to do anything about it (e.g., the behavior did not meet criteria for bullying, the other child apologized each time after physically harming my child, the incident was not witnessed by someone who could prove what the other child did). Teachers were really good and I wish my child did not end up so miserable. Won't be attending next year.

Posted January 9, 2014

This school is just incredible! For K-5, students are "leveled" for Math and Language Arts. There are three levels - which are 6mo ahead, 12 mo ahead, and 18 mo ahead of grade level. In this way your kids get advanced instruction at their academic level which still with same-age classmates (i.e. - similar social skills). Further, many (like my kids) have different abilities for Math and Language Arts. My kids - all three at Harker - have moved between levels (both up and down) to find the right balance between struggle and challenge. After-school (BEST) activities are stellar! Athletics are inclusive and competitive and the coaching is great. Teachers are simply amazing, and the kids are really the academic rock stars of the future. This year, the high school kids at Harker claimed 11 of the 109 perfect AP test scores globally. That's more than 10% of the worldwide total at this one school. If my sons choose to focus on Math, they will have as much math by high school graduation as I had in my 4-yr BSEE (calc, diffEq, linear algebra, & signals and systems - not kidding). Absolutely amazing.

Posted June 1, 2012

My child just completed the Harker lower school after starting from kindergarten and it was just an incredible experience! Most people have heard about Harker's exceptional academics...but it is the goal of the school to put your child where they are best suited academically, have quality learning, to challenge them slightly....without stress. I am a parent that let Harker do, what Harker does....and the end result: a confident, independent, well mannered, well rounded child with strong academics, strong moral character, exceptional study skills, and remarkable ethics. Friends and fun are plentiful. I cannot ask for anything better, than a child who LOVES the school, teachers, and classmates, and developed a strong love of learning! The one thing I wanted to offer as a parent is the best education that I would be able to provide and I have been completely satisfied over the years with no regrets. I was just lectured by my own 10 year old child that parents, teachers, and students cannot "slack" off the last few days of school because every day counts, and every day makes a difference! Fantastic!

Posted March 15, 2011

This is a great school. The academics are successful due to meticulous attention to the details of what each child needs. Children are "challenged without being stressed". The teachers, staff, and facilities people are not only fabulous at their jobs, but they are warm and welcoming to the children and unfailingly courteous and receptive to the parents. The school has an entire separate staff (compare to really great adult camp counselors) whose job it is to make recess, lunch, before-school, and after-school fun - offering activities from music, art and science to all sorts of athletics, informal games, and unstructured playground time. Even the uniforms are well thought out. They look sharp, wear well, and are comfortable for the classroom and the playground. The children, if you see them in class or on the playground, look happy, natural, and comfortable. The reason I first looked at Harker was because a neighbor said "My friends kids went there and the kids loved it." My son loves it, too, and I can see that he is fully engaged and growing in so many different ways.

Posted August 25, 2009

Excellent school! Couldn't be happier! Teachers are remarkable and are very well in tune to how your child is doing. Any time there appears to be even the slightest concern, I have been contacted before a true problem arises. My daughter loves the school and enjoys all that Harker has to offer. The curriculum and amazing extracurricular activities are unlike any other school can offer. The investment in her education is really worth it to me, as I truly feel that Harker is building a very strong educational foundation for her.

Posted June 12, 2009

We picked Almaden because we believe children need to be in an environment that nurtures their creativity, instead of only teaching reading and math. Our world is changing so fast we can't possibly know what kinds of careers will be important in the future, so it's critical that children learn how to think (versus how to take a test). Almaden focuses on a love of learning that is geared specifically to her type of intelligence. We couldn't be happier.

Posted September 11, 2008

What we like about Harker is that although they do an excellent job on academics, the school also has excellent facilities and programs for extracurricular activities. Unlike some other private schools in the Bay Area, Harker does more than just focus on academics alone.

Posted September 2, 2008

I go to Harker and I love it. At public schools, and some private schools you have to learn exactly the same thing as others, and it was way too easy for me, but when I go here, it is challenging, and the teachers rock. Great Academics. Also, great after-school activities, sports, performing department (choir, drama, plays, shows, dance). I Jazz dance and am on the swim team!! Harker is the best!!!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 4, 2008

Diversity of the student body is one of the strengths of the school. Students are warm and friendly. The school is extremely well managed and well-organized. Strong administration. Differentiated placement by achievement in math and language arts (versus by age) allows students to thrive in their 'zone of proximal development. This is a traditional, teacher directed curriculum in which parent involvement in their children's education is discouraged. Disciplined classrooms and organized teachers create strong environment for mastering of academic skills and exceptional achievment in standardized tests. However, the nurturing of creativity and leadership are not obviously apparent. Also, administration and faculty do not reach out to parents to create a sense of community.

Posted February 21, 2008

Although my child has only been at Harker for a year, I have been extremely happy with the teachers and the programs available at the school. I feel that Harker does a great job at keeping the academics at a challenging level for my child and they assess each child to make sure they are learning at level to their best ability. The teachers are superb and seem to keep the parents well informed on how their child is doing in the the classroom. I feel that the school provides a good balance strong academics and learning to have fun. The school provides an excellent after school program where students can take classes such as gymnastics, dance, karate, art, and cooking. Harker also emphasizes good character and manners. Most importantly, my child loves all her teachers, staff, and classmates at Harker.

Posted April 7, 2006

Wonderful teachers! Good after school program.

Posted April 3, 2006

My understanding is this would be an intensive program for all in the family. Well rounded kids - exceptional kids some out at the other side

Posted April 2, 2006

Great school with excellent curiculum. My son attended the summer program and he greatly ejoyed it.

Posted April 1, 2006

Harker is an excellent school focused on academics as well as a rich extracurricular program. The one drawback that I've found is there is little opportunity for parents to provide input to the administration. I also think Harker can do more to keep expenses in check. The solution, up to now, has been to increase tuition each and every year.

Posted March 31, 2006

My child is in the lower school. This school has very strong academics and many extracurricular opportunities. It markets itself very strongly and lives up to most of it's hype. Most of the things this school offers are available elsewhere, but not in such a 'one stop' package. There are many opportunities here for a child who is an academic standout to be both nurtured and challanged. Parental involvement is carefully 'managed' by the school, though there are volunteer opportunities. This is a physically safe school, very secure with a lot of staff. A lot is expected of kids at this school, but most of them seem well adjusted and active. There is a tendency to believe their own marketing at the school, much of the extracurricular performances and activities are only average quality. It costs so much you want to think all of it is the best.

Posted March 21, 2006

My son was at Harker for 5 years, then transferred to public school. What a difference....(not for the better!). Harker had wonderful teachers, tight discipline, and really got my son interested in learning. They have high expectations and don't believe in dumbing down material. Bad behavior is not tolerated at all; in retrospect, this was one of the most important factors that made learning at this school much more likely than in even the 'good' public school my son currently attends.

4300 Bucknall Rd