K-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am glad to see so many positive things being said about our school on GreatSchools.com. I will use this space to clarify a few points. 1. We are focused on high level academics at Challenger. Our average student scores in the 95th percentile on standardized tests. We are proud that we set the bar high at Challenger. 2. P.E. during the school day focuses on physical fitness, but after school we have many activities to include, but not limited to: soccer, basketball, softball, art, chess, martial arts, science, and Spanish. 3. We have a rigorous screening and hiring process ruling out most applicants. Once hired, we have a comprehensive training program that teaches the new teachers the Challenger curriculum and teaching methodology. Once placed in a class, we have continuous teaching training that hones and refines teaching techniques.
September 12, 2011

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted April 16, 2016
Its in what they teach in the classrookm at school and posted on their website.

Challenger - Harwood 1

Posted April 16, 2016
Please avoid this campus. The admin is terrible. The elementary director promises you things but never follow up on them or does anything. There is a new headmaster and that woman thinks she is the maharani (Indian queen). She said that she's been sent to Harwood to save it and bring it to greatness but she is driving people out by her behavior and attitude. She is loud, aggressive and brags too much but she doesn't do anything much. Most of the experienced teachers are gone and there is a bunch of new young teachers who do not know how to teach well or handle kids properly. There is a new preschool director and I have heard scary stories about her too.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 26, 2016
Thanks Mrs Ting. We think you are great! Amelie loves working with you. We also love your kindness towards her.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 26, 2016
These teachers get the kids to follow the rules and they get the kids to LOVE it. My daughter is learning so much. She learns faster and she is far more well behaved at school versus at home. Her teachers also help Amelie feel quite special and safe.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 26, 2016
My daughter is in the 3 year old preschool, so there is no home work perse. But my daughter gets books to read to us when she gets home. It's fun watching her read.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted February 26, 2016
The school teaches kids to play together in a respectful manner. They teach kids to advocate for themselves if they are being mistreated. They have birthday parties for kids where parents show up and talk about what makes their kid special. Then all the kids in the class give out hugs. My daughter's emotional development is growing by leaps and bounds.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 26, 2016
The school is actually built around character development. It's the primary value of the school. The family has to sign a form agreeing to an honor code at the school. The teachers hold the students accountable for their responsibilities from day one.

Challenger - Harwood 3

Posted March 09, 2015
I use to be a student here, and everything was great and all (little sports), but then I wonder, where are the foreign languages?

Challenger - Harwood 5

Posted September 10, 2014
I am so thankful for everything that my daughter learned at Challenger School at the Harwood campus. My daughter loved going to school every day, and I attributed that to her caring teachers. Her first grade teacher helped my daughter to develop a strong sense of independence and responsibility. For instance, my daughter does not like to getting up in the morning. It was a struggle to get her out of bed, dressed, and fed in time to leave. As the school year progressed, she was dressing herself and making her own breakfast by December. My daughter also has shown some amazing responsibility. We bought her a fish. She continues to care for him. I credit her independence and responsibility to her education at Challenger School. Academically, I know that a lot of people feel that Challenger School is all about math, grammar and science, but my daughter also enjoyed writing, singing, and music. My daughter was singing her Spring Program songs every night as we drove home. Socially, I watched her develop great friendships last year. She also learned to deal with interpersonal conflicts with maturity and confidence. Simply put, I love Challenger School.

Challenger - Harwood 5

Posted October 08, 2013
My child has been attending Challenger since the beginning of the year and I have seen a great improvement in her ability to speak, convey messages but particularly her critical thinking process. I know this progress is a culmination of the standard practices and curriculum from Challenger. The staff is friendly, the school is impeccably clean. I look forward to sending my 2nd child there as soon as she is of age!!

4949 Harwood Road, San Jose, CA  95124