No rating

Stratford Middle School

Private | 6-8 | 181 students

Living in San Jose

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $555,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,610.

Posted March 16, 2014

My son has gone to Stratford for middle school. He has blossomed and gained confidence, and built great friendship. The teachers have been very caring and inspiring. He found it challenging in the first semester due to coming from a public school, but picked up quickly. I would highly recommend this school. It is very well balanced academically and with extra curricular activities.

Posted March 3, 2014

Stratford Middle School includes after school activities in the cost of tuition, but my child does not have the time to participate in any of them. He is too busy studying all of the time. Many parents say this, but the teachers and administration deny it. The education is not well-rounded at all. The teachers are caring, but their solution to any problem seems to be to pile more after school work onto the students. The kids are overworked and stressed. On the bright side, the students seem very kind to each other. They seem to have great attitudes towards each other.

Posted May 29, 2013

My child has been at Stratford since Pre-k and now attends the middle school. One thing I notice at the middle school is there is not a school/life balance. There's alot of homework plus studying for tests that is involved on a weekly basis. Unless your child is one that all they like to do is study, then this is the school for you. My child likes to play and be social, but cannot because all they do is study. I'm for working hard, but as a kid you need the weekends to have fun and that is not happening for my child. I've talk to several parents and the consensus is the same. Stratford is a very good school, but there is more to life than studying all the time.

Posted March 27, 2012

As an alumni who has tried two private schools in Challenger and Stratford, I could not be more proud to have been a Stratford Lion. More academically focused than ever, their top priority is to get students in the right direction for their young futures. They understand what they are doing and they teach well. I have been taught well and I could only wish my teachers had board the ship along with me to join me at Los Gatos High School. Thou shall not exclude a school from their many options until they see it to believe it, and Stratford should always get considerations from families. A great school does not waste a year's worth of time teaching nothing. There is a reason why families pay the money and certainly I am sure the school will make the money paid worth it. I am Josh Kao, a sophomore at Los Gatos High School, and I am certainly proud to have and still be a part of the Stratford Community.

Posted June 10, 2011

Our experience of Stratford over three years of middle school for our child has been unsatisfactory to say the least. The quality of teachers and instruction was hit-and-miss. Teachers used to say things such as "i don't care what you think" to students in front of the entire class. When we complained to the principal, the treatment to our child got even meaner. Arbitrary guidelines, teachers rarely admitting mistakes that were pointed out respectfully and rampant favoritism was the order of the day. Unless your kid can be a straight-A, 4.0 GPA student they will feel invisible.

Posted September 17, 2010

We just joined middleschool here for this year, and so far what I have noticed is although the amount of work has exceeded but my son loves to go to school, everyone is so warm and welcoming, the teachers are all great, curriculum is intertaining , educating but fun, All of us ,new parents worries put to rest after going through back to school night. I am so glad we decided on this school. The atmosphere is very peacful and friendly just like a bigger family setting.

Posted July 21, 2010

Very good academically. My child learned more than I expected. Great teachers. Children that have been attending this school since they were young were very unaccepting of newcomers. Not a very warm environment. Disappointed by the lack of parental involvement and inability of administration to step in when an issue needed to be resolved. Cultural favoritism is very obvious on campus - and not in a good way.

Posted February 12, 2010

Great balance between academics and extracurricular activites. Good exposure to outside tournaments, leagues, competitions. All round child devleopment.

Posted February 11, 2010

We love Stratford Middle School. My children have been looking forward to this school, especially the new campus, from their elementary years. The curriculum, teachers and staff have been very supportive. Both my 7th and 6th graders are growing into maturity and their academic skills continue to exceed my expectation. They also love their after school clubs and even homework rooms. We are very happy with Stratford Middle School.

Posted February 10, 2010

Stratford provides high academic standards that well help prepare my daughter for high school. My daughter is in sixth grade. She feels that the classes are challenging, but manageable. She particpates in variety of clubs and leadership activities that the school offers. The school staff is very friendly and helpful. Most of the kids are well-behaved and supportive of each other. I highly recommend Stratford Middle in San Jose.

Posted February 12, 2009

The teachers are very dedicated and the school listen to your concern. My son was mediocre in another private school. He came to Stratford in 6th grade and was discovered that he has a knack for math. Now a 7th grader, he is tutoring his highschool sister in her honor Algebra 2 class. Without his teachers' motivation and extra help, he would still be a mediocre kid.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Ms. Maggie Schwartz
  • Coed

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge